Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,641 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm really surprised to see that several people who seem concerned about their children's education (yay!) can be so short-sighted themselves.

Of course, do what you think is best for your children, and of course you want a good education for your children... but quite frankly, it's insulting and certainly erroneous to assume that "low income" means "bad" or "stupid" or anything else several comments have implied.

I grew up in the "low-income" bracket-- no "McMansions" for me (and although I appreciate a nice home, I never want to own something that someone could possibly call a "McMansion" and I also have no desire to put my children in a community full of that and only that). It's extraordinarily offensive to assume that money is everything, and that low-income folks can't think, be educated, or provide a good experience. I certainly didn't go to a rich school growing up, either-- regular Public School, with regular kids of all economic backgrounds (a healthy mix). I excelled, I got involved, I made opportunities.

Shame on you (those who did) for presuming that because my family had money problems, my siblings and I would be a hinderence to your precious children's education. To speak candidly, I know I contributed to the education of my peers throughout my entire life, both in the traditional classroom (tutoring, peer mentoring, peer educating) as well as in the community (constantly pointing out other perspectives, trying to help people see that money isn't EVERYTHING, helping people open up to people that are different than them).

To top it off, the well-off kids (living in their McMansions, btw) were often the absolute worst in class. They most often felt they were on top of the world (and on top of others) and didn't have to try at all. They brought everything down because they were lazy and didn't feel they should have to work. Priviledge can be a horrible thing, my friends. But it's fine: my low income self graduated at the top of my class with an above 4.0 GPA (of the top 5, 3 of us were "low income"), I went to an excellent university where I graduated with top honors, and have made a successful career for myself full of continual growth.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, money isn't everything, and if you disagree please don't move to my town. I'd rather my kids value thought and excellence over dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
Default Worst decision we ever made

We moved to Beacon four years ago and got some bad advice regarding the Beacon City Schools. We were told that they had improved from what they once were (bad) and that our child would thrive there. I can tell you that the worst decision we ever made was to put our child in that school system.

Let me say that I have nothing against lower-income people,but I have A LOT against bullies,drug addicts, racists and teachers and principals that show favoritism or just are collecting a paycheck and don't give a darn about the students. Wait,let me qualify that,if you are one of the behind-kissing parents that stroke them and praise them and overlook everything that is wrong,they'll treat your little Johnny or Susie like royalty. If you see all the nonsense that goes on and hold them accountable,look out! I know I can't name names,but there is one elementary school in town where the teachers dominate the principal and actively play favorites toward some students,while putting others "in the corner" and ignoring them. Complain to that principal and it will get you nowhere fast. In at least two of the schools,Forrestal and South Ave. there are enormous bullying problems and an undesirable element that dominates the school.

Another problem is the"long time residents vs. newer residents" issue. If you've been there a long time,no matter how horrible your obnoxious ,bullying child behaves,the school district won't expell or move for an out of district placement. There are kids in some of those schools that terrorize other children,but because their families have been in town since before Edison invented the lightbulb and Mommy works in the school cafeteria,good luck getting the schools to deal with them when they beat your kid up! There is more,but sitting here writing about it gets me angry.

Why didn't we put our child in private school you ask? We wanted to,were planning on it in fact, when my husband was "downsized " from his fulltime position. The other thing is that we honestly bought into the lie that the school district was vastly improved. Of course,Beacon is good at spinning tales about how great it is. Once you get past the cute little art and antique places on Main Street,it's a different planet.

Last edited by Hellonthehudson; 07-14-2011 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: adding quotation marks

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 48,202 times
Default Surrounding districts?

This has been touched on a little, but I'm curious what the towns surrounding Beacon are like? Is there a town where Beacon still feels like it's in your neighborhood but is in a better school district? If so, what are those towns like culturally and are the schools good or just okay?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 761 times
Upthehudson - if you're looking for that Beacon "feel" with better schools then you definitely want to check out the next town over, Cold Spring. They have some of the best schools in the area, not just in test scores but also teacher/student ratio. Top notch. Cold Spring also has the conveniences of a close NYC train, hiking, antique shops, good restaurants, art galleries, etc. ALTHOUGH, be advised that housing and taxes will be at a premium (shockingly) and housing availability is scarce. Some parts of Garrison belong to the same district (Haldane). If you can afford it definitely consider it. You should also check out Cornwall across the river as an alternative (good schools, more housing, Storm King Art Center in town but main st not as lively and train is a short drive...).

Old 10-02-2015, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,203 times
Default any update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs3000 View Post
We are considering a move from Brooklyn to Beacon. We have a 4 yr. old daughter. Can someone give me as objective a view on the schools in the Beacon City School District? We are not looking for the "perfect" school situation as we are very aware of the neuroses of some parents when it comes to their high and sometimes impossible expectations when looking for schools that cater to their needs. We intend fully to share the responsibility of educating our child and not lay it all on the schools. Having said this is Beacon doable? Any Beacon NY parents out there! We aren't looking for opinions based on experience. PLEASE help us PLEASE!
Hi jeebs3000,

So, what did you end up deciding to do?? I notice this post was written in 2007. It is now 2015 and my husband and I could have written the same post except our daughter is only 7 months. We want to move, Beacon real estate prices are very tempting, but the schools STILL get low ratings. Anyone else care to weigh in? THanks!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
What I learned from living there for many years, is that once you get more than one hour north of the affluent 'burbs in the Hudson Valley, it's up to YOU to ensure your kids get a good education. It's there if you want it, and it IS, but a whole lot more effort is required on the parents' part.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 10-02-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 06:22 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
What I learned from living there for many years, is that once you get more than one hour north of the affluent 'burbs in the Hudson Valley, it's up to YOU to ensure your kids get a good education. It's there if you want it, and it IS, but a whole lot more effort is required on the parents' part.
Is this in regards to the more urban school districts?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
No, actually, urban and not. I don't think the schools as a whole in the mid-Hudson are that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York