Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Helloooo.... I guess my input means nothing to you, my dear jeebs3000.

But didn't you notice that CampingMom's last post pretty much repeated what I had said before about the commercial renaissance of Beacon?

Oh, well. We give advice for nothing, here sometimes...
Manhattan-ite- I wouldn't take offense. Jeebs was just looking for information from all ends. I take it your a visitor to the area and not someone that lives and drives here daily. So my take maybe a bit different/or same depending on where in Beacon. My family moved to Beacon in 1951. So we've a LONG history and know the area more intimately than someone who may just come for weekend visits. Not trying to ruffle feathers by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,317 times
My brother & his wife are both teachers who live in the Beacon school district (they do not teach in Beacon). Their neighbor is a Beacon teacher. They all call the Beacon school district a diamond in the rough.

The school taxes are higher, but they do have a state of the art high school

Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 129,743 times
thank you too manhattan-ite, sorry to have overlooked you. campingmom was diplomatic (and insightful) in her assessment of me but still no excuse to leave you out. a shoutout and thanks to fshkll63 as well! any and all input always appreciated.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM

Incidentally, fshkll63, would it be an intrusion in your life to ask your brother and his wife if they would hypothetically send their own kids through the system in Beacon? May I ask where they teach as well? I hate to be presumptuous but doing what I can to make as educated a decision as possible for my family. If it's getting too personal I understand completely.

Last edited by jeebs3000; 03-01-2007 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 14,232 times
Smile schools in beacon

i've been reading this thread with great interest. beacon has made the short-list for my family, too. the diversity in combination with art scene and the lovely mountain backdrop is a compelling package -- but the schools have made me pause. i'm not as concerned with what the schools were like in the past. i'm mainly interested the commitment level of the schools, the administration, and the teachers in their efforts to improve the schools. the brand new high school is a clear sign of that commitment, but what other efforts? parent involvement? teacher reviews?

regarding the local prisons, i can't understand why that is a percieved threat to the community. i would think that the last place a former inmate would want to loiter would be anywhere near his/her detention facility. i also suspect that those facilities have little to do with their surrounding communities, by the very nature of what they are -- but i'm asking because i don't know. stigma aside, what kind of an impact do they really have?

many thanks for all your feedback.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahannah View Post
i've been reading this thread with great interest. beacon has made the short-list for my family, too. the diversity in combination with art scene and the lovely mountain backdrop is a compelling package -- but the schools have made me pause. i'm not as concerned with what the schools were like in the past. i'm mainly interested the commitment level of the schools, the administration, and the teachers in their efforts to improve the schools. the brand new high school is a clear sign of that commitment, but what other efforts? parent involvement? teacher reviews?

regarding the local prisons, i can't understand why that is a percieved threat to the community. i would think that the last place a former inmate would want to loiter would be anywhere near his/her detention facility. i also suspect that those facilities have little to do with their surrounding communities, by the very nature of what they are -- but i'm asking because i don't know. stigma aside, what kind of an impact do they really have?

many thanks for all your feedback.
I cannot tell you the stigma they have other than "oh you live near the prison". I have friends who do live in beacon, and I have personally been to the state of the art high school, visited the downtown and have taken my daughter to the park with some friends there. Its exactly what you are saying, diversity in all respects to income level, religion, ethnicity and race. The train station is the high point....ALOT of NYC commuters luck out because of it. And its one of the few places that do draw alot of manhaten-ites(sp?). Problably because it does lend itself to a similar type of artsy vibe.

Other areas in dutchess do not have that much of the similar type of influence. We are asian indian, and WE are considered diversity in my daughters school district...LOLOLOL......thats okay thought, no one really pays attention to the indians unless they have a math or science question...lololol.

But really, Beacon has been trying to go thru a revitalization, and I think it will happen, there are plenty of people who buy the huge homes there.....its just the stigma....meaning.

"you moved all the way up to dutchess and you chose beacon?" You get that dazed and confused look from people. No one one will admit it to your face, but I have heard it plenty of times.

Its kind of like moving to westchester and you want Mount Vernon or Yonkers schools. Its just sounds strange.

That being said, those that DID invest in beacon, have made a pretty decent profit. There is development happening, a BRAND new home depot is south of 84 towards beacon..and I think its just an area that is going to take a little more time..thats all.

But again, its got the most convenient train, location and accessibility to the freeways, which is very popular for the NYC workers.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,232 times
many thanks for your response, mom2gurls!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM

I'm finding it really difficult to get a response from folks here on City-Data who have direct involvement or experience with the current state of affairs of the Beacon schools so I really appreciate ALL the feedback of those of you who posted hear- thanks so very much. Now, can anybody suggest where else I might be able to get feedback? Note: we do in fact plan on visiting the schools in-person soon but would still like as much insider intelligence that we can get.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 25,978 times
I have lived in Beacon for 13 years & had 3 children Graduate from the school system with no problems we have a top of the line new H.S.
3 years old w/ Swimming pool, tv station, music rooms ect.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM

thanks for your input gja756!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York