Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM

42 posts, read 125,344 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the person who started this mega-thread has made it back up here yet?

NYS should honestly do a "re-relocation" campaign. I know so many people who are looking to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTgirl View Post
I wonder if the person who started this mega-thread has made it back up here yet?

NYS should honestly do a "re-relocation" campaign. I know so many people who are looking to come back.
Honestly? Because after reading these forums, it seems the contrary and yes, a re-location campaign may be just what the doctor ordered.....

I have never lived in another state and wonder what I missed....then I talk to the ones who left and aside from the atrocious taxes, they miss NY immensely.....

And with the recent years of above normal temperature, I learned that hot-humid- hot weather is way worse than a cold winter day: the imagery of spending the day inside curled up with a roaring fire, a good book/movie and some tasty soup bubbling on the stove is far more appealing than the hot humid mush we've experieced this summer when you're forced inside to watch a summer day go by from your ac'd prison......

Sorry, the south can have their drippy, mind-melting weather.....

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM

42 posts, read 125,344 times
Absolutely. I can't stand the humidity. Anything over 80 degrees and I'm either wanting to be in the pool or in the AC.

As far as I'm concerned, I can always put on more sweaters and put more wood on the fire. At least if it's snowy you can ski, snowshoe, ice skate, play pond hockey, run around, build forts with kids. If you get too cold, you can always go back inside for hot chocolate. The greyness and lack of daytime light might get to me, but I love winter overall.

You gotta have the right gear though. Snow-ready car, snowblower, plow for long driveway and warm stuff. If you have the proper things that make it easier, it's not that bad I find.

It was actually too mild for my liking this winter in Burlington. We only had maybe 5 or 6 major snowy storms. Who would have thought that I'd be complaining that VT didn't have enough snow for me? I'm going to have to move to the mountains away from the lake.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I have never lived in another state and wonder what I missed....then I talk to the ones who left and aside from the atrocious taxes, they miss NY immensely.....
It really depends why a person chose to move and how willing they are to adjust to their new location. Many move and do nothing but compare everything to NY and what they left. Overall they are miserable, many of us chose to head south and have no regrets. yes I miss the beauty of upstate but i am realistic the cost of living, challenge to find a decent paying job just aren't worth it. Yeah the summers can be hot but I remember just as many days in NY where we sweated to death in the summer. I guess it's to each his own...

Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 AM

9 posts, read 13,050 times
I totally agree with you. I moved from Long Island New York to Texas 30 years ago and can not stand i, My husband does not have a problem here and my kids were born here so they like it, but now they are just about all grown and gone except for one more and after that it is bye bye, I will go a lone if I have to. You are a bit fortunate as you can sell and gain some funds , we do not have anything. People here are the same as NC , at least thats what it sounds like. The weather is is Hot Hot Hot 7 months out of the year and I am always a lone, I keep telling my husband I know where to go when I am ready to die, LOL. I really stay depress and he is just afraid that we will not make it up there because of the cost of things and afreaid he will not find any work. I wish you the best of luck and will pray for you because I know just how you feel.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,868 times
Everyone I have met from the south won't give one god damn northerner a chance when it comes to jobs. They're slowness kills me and the never returning phone calls is beyond all disbelief. Where I'm from thats so considered rude to do that to people. Every southerner should be grateful to us northerners since we pay into they're tax base, give them jobs that pay far better than the usual minimum wage they're used to, and at least we are over the civil war and by the way folks we won. Maybe with a little kindness you could just find some very competent employees that use their brains and they're assertiveness to get the job done not just they're muscle and sweet southern kindness that will stab you in the back the minute your back is turned. The south is a place that needs to readjust they're way of thinking about us northerners because sooner or later this place will be covered by us. Good luck

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM

149 posts, read 275,498 times
OK..anyone know if the original poster got to go back to NY?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 29,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTgirl View Post

Yes, they probably should since NY has lost so many people over the last couple of decades, somewhat offset by a higher birth than death rate and international immigration, but still a net loss of the natives.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 AM

142 posts, read 362,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Honestly? Because after reading these forums, it seems the contrary and yes, a re-location campaign may be just what the doctor ordered.....

And with the recent years of above normal temperature, I learned that hot-humid- hot weather is way worse than a cold winter day: the imagery of spending the day inside curled up with a roaring fire, a good book/movie and some tasty soup bubbling on the stove is far more appealing than the hot humid mush we've experieced this summer when you're forced inside to watch a summer day go by from your ac'd prison......

Sorry, the south can have their drippy, mind-melting weather.....
Oh my gosh, I have had this argument with northerners that have moved down here (FL) for years...that it is way worse to be dripping sweat as you can only take off so many layers of clothes...and in the cold you can always add layers...Doing anything down here is impossible in the summer(which lasts forever),even the pool...my poor kid spent all summer inside..it sucks! That's just part of the reason we can't wait to move to NY!!!I love this thread, it just made knowing we're moving is DEFINITELY the right thing to do!!!YAY!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safed04 View Post
Yes, they probably should since NY has lost so many people over the last couple of decades, somewhat offset by a higher birth than death rate and international immigration, but still a net loss of the natives.
Considering that NY State has always been a state that has attracted immigrants, it doesn't surprise me that immigration has contributed to the population growth of the state. Many natives are hardly separated from the immigrant experience anyway.

Also, the whole state isn't monolithic in terms of population growth or loss. Some Upstate NY counties have actually gained people recently, while have been losing people for decades. So, it depends on where you look in the state in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York