Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times

Advertisements

If he is not disturbing your peace outside of making you a nosy neighbor wondering what he is doing all hours of the day and night it really is none of your business. If you know for sure he is doing something illegal or destroying your property then it would be a concern, otherwise back away from the window and go back to your computer screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
It's LA for God's sake. The Number Two city that doesn't sleep (NYC being number 1- for those that don't "get out" much).

I really can't believe this thread has gone to 4 pages; just stir the pot!

For the OP- So, does this thread "justify a means to an end"?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I can understand that a person happens to notice that a neighbor comes and goes at odd hours -- (and agree that, in general, all the snark isn't warranted) but OMG you're even watching WHICH DIRECTION he turns out of his driveway or parking lot...THAT is a bit much.
Did you not understand the rest of my post? He comes and goes so often, it's very difficult to NOT notice him coming and going. And yes, call me Monk, I just happen to notice he departs in differing directions.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Did you not understand the rest of my post? He comes and goes so often, it's very difficult to NOT notice him coming and going. And yes, call me Monk, I just happen to notice he departs in differing directions.
Have you discussed this with any of your other neighbors?

"Hey, have you noticed that Mr. X comes and goes at all all hours of the day and night? And that sometimes he turns north and sometimes he turns south?? "

Maybe he a doctor, especially since you say it is a neighborhood that a tow truck driver couldn't afford to live in?

By the way, what do you, OP, do for a living that allows you to live in such an exclusive neighborhood yet have time to watch your neighbors day and night?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
You're snacking and watering your lawn at 2:00 am?
If I were one of the OP's neighbors, I'd call the cops!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 AM

19 posts, read 56,770 times
I am a volly Fire-Police officer so I come and go at anytime of the day or nite, some calls are quick 30min..some last 6+ hrs. When I worked for Met-Ed (power co) I was on call from 7pm-midnite after working all day. So I would come and go alot. There are alot of legit reasons people come and go often.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
Please don't get snarky with me.
I DEFENDED you -- saying that the other posters' sarcastic criticism of you wasn't necessary and was over the top.

Quote:
And yes, call me Monk, I just happen to notice he departs in differing directions.
I you ALWAYS -- ALWAYS -- go and turn the same direction EVERY time you leave your house?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
Your neighbor is busy living their own life.

You probably should do the same and worry about them as little as they worry about you.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
I used to have an older lady "Gladys Kravitz" neighbor...

One time I was remodeling my front room and had the windows torn out. She came over to investigate what I was doing. I showed her the new *smaller* energy saving windows I was installing.

She suddenly had a HORRIFIED look on her face and said "You need to install a LARGE window there so you can see out better!" (She would sit in front of her large window from dawn to dusk watching the neighbors.)

I said "I could care less what the neighbors are doing. I have better things to do."

Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
The longer a person lives in a neighborhood, the more people we may come to know, or be familiar with even if we don't have conversations....you come to know who might be who, or live where.

It's all good, that we as citizens, look out for one another and have our neighbors' and the NEIGHBORHOOD's best interest is at heart (calling the cops when there's something TRULY suspicious and out of the ordinary for THAT particular neighbor.)

I'm not sure THAT is what the OP is about but....so be it.

Many of us, I'd image, might have a neighbor -- or know someone on the block -- who IS the Mrs. Kravitz of the block -- which CAN be good if the PERSON has the right intentions.

It reminds me of when one of my elderly across-the-street neighbors told me she'd thought I'd passed out in my front yard one day.
She happened to be looking out one of her windows, and I was working on the yard. OK no big deal)...but she said I was stretched out and hadn't moved for so long ...that just when she thought something might be wrong...I moved...and so...I wasn't passed out after all

Also, at times she'd say, "Oh, I saw you leave"...or "I saw you come home." I thought damn...this lady knows more about my coming and going than I do."
But you know what....I appreciated having someone who might see something that isn't right that might go on.

We have a good block, it's a good neighborhood where we DO look out for each other. and I LOVE that.

Like I said, I'm not sure that's the OP's reasoning but it can be good to have "interested neighbors."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships