Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,112,088 times

Advertisements

Most people are one desperate situation away from being "crazy." It's one thing to steer clear of the psycho man or woman who stalks you 6 years after you break up (like I have to), it's another thing to discount a large segment of the population since most people deal with depression or anxiety at one point in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:02 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,786,077 times
Today, being mentally stable is out, and being depressed, bi polar or having panic attacks is in, most every women I know is on some type of mood stablizing pill or another...it is the way of the world.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,840,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Camera paranoia actually makes some sense. An old coworker of mine's landlord had secret webcams throughout her house and spied on her for nearly 2 years. I actually do a thorough search with a friend of any apartment before I move in because of that.

I'm curious if you knew what her triggers were..perhaps she was lied to in the past, or someone violated her privacy at one point? That kind of stuff sticks with some people.
It was purely and simply a chemical imbalance. She still lives at home with her parents. The change was dramatic when he went on the meds and when she went off off the meds

Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,377,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Most people are one desperate situation away from being "crazy." It's one thing to steer clear of the psycho man or woman who stalks you 6 years after you break up (like I have to), it's another thing to discount a large segment of the population since most people deal with depression or anxiety at one point in their lives.
Truth right there.

A lot of people are so quick to say "crazy" to someone else when they don't know what all that person has been through. Like I said, I myself am crazy, psychotic even, but I have a reason.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Depends on how much it affects the lives of others. When my neighbor who probably has schizophrenia is insisting it's night when it's day, that doesn't really affect me or anyone so I let it go. I wouldn't call her crazy for that. When she's screaming curses, etc. at my door or window/ringing my bell repeatedly or spitting at passers by (all of which she has done), then I reserve the right to call her crazy. Though obviously not directly to her or where she would hear it, that would just make things worse. And yes, I have called 911 for her on the occasions I've witnessed. When the police or EMTs directly witness it, they can take her in for treatment. But if they don't see it, there's not much they can do for her (or me). I've also tried addressing it through other channels, but there's pretty much nothing which can be done.

Likewise, when my mother, back when I was in contact with her, would insist things didn't happen when they did or that things happened when they didn't, that's crazy too. Again I wouldn't call her directly crazy because that's not going to help. But I reserve the right to think it to myself or describe it to others as crazy as a form of shorthand to describe how utterly irrational it is. There's a reason they call it "crazy making"

For me personally, merely being mentally ill isn't "crazy". It has to involve some measure of acting/behaving abusively towards others.
I understand where you are coming from!

Mental illness can be treated . . . but crazy behavior is just that . . . crazy behavior. And yes, even therapists refer to it as crazy behavior. I know - I work with therapists.

As one therapist told me years ago, "Look. If it is crazy behavior, don't try to analyze the whys behind it. You will never get into someone's head when their reality is not yours. So don't try. Just accept it as crazy and move on."

Now, that was in relation to dealing with folks like the neighbor you mentioned. If someone is having a psychotic episode, all you can do is dial 911 and let the professionals handle it.

Sadly, mental illness IS stigmatized, but if a person is in treatment and taking meds . . . then they should be able to reach a level of functioning where they are dealing with whatever behavioral health issues they may have, and no one would even know they had those issues.

As a bipolar relative reminded me recently, "I am not a diagnosis. I am a person managing a diagnosis."

Very true. But when she is raging, throwing things and practically talking in tongues, there is no way I am gonna call it anything other than CRAZY.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,237,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Today, being mentally stable is out, and being depressed, bi polar or having panic attacks is in, most every women I know is on some type of mood stablizing pill or another...it is the way of the world.
Funny how you act as if it's trendy.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,758,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Truth right there.

A lot of people are so quick to say "crazy" to someone else when they don't know what all that person has been through. Like I said, I myself am crazy, psychotic even, but I have a reason.

Well the way some of these people talk is like mentally ill people are just running wild in the streets creating 'horror stories' for them to share every day. Please. . We go to work, eat, sleep whatever just like everyone else does.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM

861 posts, read 1,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
My friend during a conversation with another person about a crazy girl stated: "You can't reason with a crazy person." It's no point trying to rationalize why a crazy person/mentally ill acts crazy. Do you agree or disagree?

For me, I would rather avoid any person with mental health issues like BPD, bipolar, anxiety, depression, etc. If you choose a partner with one of those issues, you are including more unnecessary stress into your lifeThat's why its better to run as fast as you can as soon as you see those issues.
One might be able to reason with a "crazy person" if the crazy person knew they were crazy and were talking with a mentally stable one. Perhaps this is why, when confronted with such matters, I simply say "You're crazy and don't know what you're talking about". Then the staff in the starched white uniforms give me a hug and put me to bed.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,716,377 times
Quote:
My friend during a conversation with another person about a crazy girl stated: "You can't reason with a crazy person." It's no point trying to rationalize why a crazy person/mentally ill acts crazy. Do you agree or disagree?

For me, I would rather avoid any person with mental health issues like BPD, bipolar, anxiety, depression, etc. If you choose a partner with one of those issues, you are including more unnecessary stress into your life. That's why its better to run as fast as you can as soon as you see those issues.
Yes, I agree. This happened to me last year and I decided to walk away. There is no point in reasoning with her.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,048,108 times
Quote:
For me, I would rather avoid any person with mental health issues like BPD, bipolar, anxiety, depression, etc. If you choose a partner with one of those issues, you are including more unnecessary stress into your life. That's why its better to run as fast as you can as soon as you see those issues.
I try to wield compassion towards people with mental health issues but do not willingly incorporate them into my life. Not after having grown up with a BP person who self-medicated with alcohol. My siblings and I had horrific childhoods because of their behavior and ended up seeking therapy as adults to recover from that hell.

These days, that parent is sporadically on meds but we remain detached, even though we are guilt-tripped with the phrase "you always thought I was an awful parent!" My reply: "yeah, you were. No child of 8 years should have to run to the neighbor for help because their parent slit their wrists in front of their kids. I know you couldn't help it at the time and I'm willing to be around you now and help look after you (they are in their 70s) , as long as you take your medication. Just don't expect a close parent-child bond. No such thing was forged when we were children. As adults, my siblings and I are sorry for you; you can't help having this disease; but now is our time to be happy and have good lives."

Mental illness is not something a person wants to have, but those involved in their life save their own sanity with a big dose of detachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships