Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM

12,860 posts, read 15,185,203 times

Advertisements

More people should simply ask the waiter/waitress to give separate checks, which their register calculates anyway. No big deal. Why should WE customers be stuck doing any math?! We're out to have a nice meal, not do math problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
More people should simply ask the waiter/waitress to give separate checks, which their register calculates anyway. Why should WE customers be stuck doing any math?! We're out to have a nice meal, not do math problems!
Because we don't use "registers" anymore we use POS systems. POS systems designed for server use are designed so that tables are tabs. Not like a bartender's POS where it is designed to start a tab per name or bar stool. In addition, to prevent theft and so that items are accounted for, a lot of times to split checks requires a manager's authorization/swipe. This isn't a big deal if it isn't busy, but it can be a disaster if it is. Not only that, someone will often come to me from a large party and ask, "Can I have the check for what I paid for?" You mean I have to get a manager, sort through dozens of items, figure out what you got and neglect the rest of my patrons for 20 minutes? What if everyone in your party decided to do that? All my other tables would stiff me.

I dine out myself, probably more often than you do. It doesn't kill me to do the math. I accept that as part of going out.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM

676 posts, read 1,266,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Calculating 20% of the bill is easy and here's a shortcut. Move the decimal one spot to the left and double the resulting amount..
You may want to read up on dyscalculia to understand why some people need calculators:
Students struggling with math may have a neurocognitive disorder called dyscalculia: Disorder affects roughly as many people as dyslexia

Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Because we don't use "registers" anymore we use POS systems. POS systems designed for server use are designed so that tables are tabs. Not like a bartender's POS where it is designed to start a tab per name or bar stool. In addition, to prevent theft and so that items are accounted for, a lot of times to split checks requires a manager's authorization/swipe. This isn't a big deal if it isn't busy, but it can be a disaster if it is. Not only that, someone will often come to me from a large party and ask, "Can I have the check for what I paid for?" You mean I have to get a manager, sort through dozens of items, figure out what you got and neglect the rest of my patrons for 20 minutes? What if everyone in your party decided to do that? All my other tables would stiff me.

I dine out myself, probably more often than you do. It doesn't kill me to do the math. I accept that as part of going out.
Well, since it's an ongoing issue, perhaps the restaurants should ask the vendors if it's possible to design software to account for split tabs, etc. more efficiently

Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM

I know some people struggle with math.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that I can look at a group of people and tell whether there's going to be a lot of hemming, hawing, and calculator reference when the check is dropped.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Well, since it's an ongoing issue, perhaps the restaurants should ask the vendors if it's possible to design software to account for split tabs, etc. more efficiently
There's a reason that tables are tabs in a server POS. The table number directs the runners who deliver the food, helps other servers run a person's drinks, etc. Any other way to design a server POS would mess up that system, besides, that wouldn't take away the issue of having to grab a manager at places who like to be able to account for where items go.

I've noticed most New Yorkers are just fine with that system. I don't have any problem going out with my friends and saying, "Hey I'm leaving early, my appetizer cost 12 bucks and my beer cost 7, here's 24 bucks."

I really don't understand why that's the end of the world to some folks.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,661,439 times
Quote:
I know some people struggle with math.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that I can look at a group of people and tell whether there's going to be a lot of hemming, hawing, and calculator reference when the check is dropped.
Not that I'd be able to tell ahead of time by looking at a group but, in fairness, I do know what you're talking about. Yes, some people are more comfortable using a calculator for figuring but others, with a calculator or not, get into that whole 'Marge only had lettuce on her burger but Emily had tomato and you know they charge extra for that' level of precision

Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,376,869 times
Typically, separate checks. Otherwise, we split right down the middle. Friendships are a lot more important than wrangling over a few dollars here and there. It's the sign of pettiness to say, "Well, I got the appetizer for $6 and you go a dessert for $9, so you owe me $3." See my point?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Not that I'd be able to tell ahead of time by looking at a group but, in fairness, I do know what you're talking about. Yes, some people are more comfortable using a calculator for figuring but others, with a calculator or not, get into that whole 'Marge only had lettuce on her burger but Emily had tomato and you know they charge extra for that' level of precision
Yeah, that I don't understand. I usually go along with what the group decides. But unless there's a big difference in what people ordered, it's just easier to divide it by the number of people if splitting the check. If someone consistently orders less, than that's a different story. I have a friend who's a vegetarian and has a rare glass of wine. I'll sometimes order meat based dishes and have wine when we're out. She kept refusing my offer to kick in more, but I started insisting because it wasn't balancing out with time like it does with my other friend. I didn't think it's fair to make her pay the same when she consistently orders less expensive food than I do

One time 2 of my neighbors and I went out with a group of people. I drove. Most of the group had 1 or 2 glasses or wine or a beer or 2. One of the neighbors didn't drink alcohol, but ordered soft drinks and dessert. Most of us skipped dessert. She then made a big deal about how she didn't want to pay as much because she didn't have alcohol. If people had been drinking heavily or expensive cocktails, I could see that. But for 1 or 2 wine/beers when she ordered soft drinks/dessert? I didn't order dessert, plus I drove, so I felt she was being kind of petty. She's also a horrible back seat driver, at one point she was raising her voice telling me to make a left when there was oncoming traffic and she hasn't driven in decades. After that, I made it a point to be "busy" when she wanted to do things. I've found that people like her and the other 2 people I mentioned earlier in a post tend to be difficult/inconsiderate people in other ways too.

Generally when I go out with most of my friends, I go out with the assumption we'll be splitting the bill. Unless it's someone's birthday and we're treating that person, then I expect to pay their share or part of their share too. I'm changing my diet to more of a balance between carbs/proteins. But I used to eat a lot of carbs and when I did, I'd normally order pasta. Which is usually one of the less expensive items on the menu. So often, splitting meant I paid more, but it didn't bother me. I was ordering the pasta because I like it, not because of the price. If I can't afford to split it, I either decline the invite or explain the situation (if it's a really close friend). And I do offer to kick in more when I've ordered more expensive items than other people.

If it's a group of people I don't know very well, I plan on doing either an item pay or a split and follow the lead of whatever the group or other people want to do.

One of my friends consistently likes to tip less than I do, so we started getting separate checks. It was just a lot easier.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
I can't recall a time recently where I've gone out with a group and the server doesn't open with " do you guys want separate checks?" We ask, "will that be any trouble?" and they say "not at all" so that's what we usually do. If it's such a hassle on the server's part, why would they offer right off the bat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships