Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,310,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Just not the case. Every place we have been to we get separate checks. Two separate checks, each one itemized.

Please pay attention to what I'm saying. I'm saying that POS systems are designed so tables are tabs. That doesn't mean that impossible to do separate checks. In the upper hand corner you will see your table number and check number, one will say something like 25/1 and the other will say something like 25/2. So the check has to be made and split off for you to have separate checks from the get go. And it can be done pretty easily if a) the restaurant is slow b) they don't require manager authorization for a split check c) everyone else around you isn't separating the check as well. But all things accounted for, separate payments on the same check is the best way to expedite service for you and the rest of the patrons around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
I meant ironic in that by not splitting the check you are not as you put it "giving a high level of service to everyone" - including the check splitters.
To me giving a high level of service is being able to be attentive to my patrons' food and drink needs, so I need to be present on the floor. If I'm spending more time at the POS than making sure I'm present at my tables, the level of service goes down for everyone.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Good grief, there are "High Volume" establishments outside of New York City believe it or not and they are also "High Dollar" and amazingly enough they do separate checks without any whining or crying about sssllloooowww service. We were at one just yesterday for brunch. A GOOD server will do as the customer wishes within reason without all the lip service and blah, blah making an issue out of nothing. It is a simple matter of being efficient and being able to multi task all without the attitude that those who pay part of your salary are an "inconvenience' just because you have to do more than one check. Cripes already, get out of the customer service industry if you really don't want to serve customers properly.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Of course I want to serve customers properly. All of them.

And like I said, it's not always at server discretion. My old restaurant stopped allowing split checks period due to walk outs.

Nobody's trying to ruin your day, is the point. Restaurants and servers bend over backwards to accommodate patrons beyond reason typically, which is why people who work in restaurants are some of the most abused workers. This narcissistic "me, me, me" attitude is the downfall of America.

Next time, why don't you try doing multiple payments and see if it ruins your brunch? My guess is not. You see, I go out to brunch too.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,398,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Please pay attention to what I'm saying. I'm saying that POS systems are designed so tables are tabs. That doesn't mean that impossible to do separate checks. In the upper hand corner you will see your table number and check number, one will say something like 25/1 and the other will say something like 25/2. So the check has to be made and split off for you to have separate checks from the get go. And it can be done pretty easily if a) the restaurant is slow b) they don't require manager authorization for a split check c) everyone else around you isn't separating the check as well. But all things accounted for, separate payments on the same check is the best way to expedite service for you and the rest of the patrons around you.
I am hearing what you are saying. Next time we go out to eat together I will try and take a peek for that.

With that said, we give our waitress all the time in the world she needs to take care of what she needs to take care of. If she needs to take care of someone else first, that is just fine as well.

We also live in Northern Virginia so it isn't some po-dunk town with 2 restaurants and all of us sitting there with straw hanging from our mouths..just saying.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Haha didn't say it was.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,398,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Haha didn't say it was.
I kinda wish it was. I've been there too, and I liked it way better than a city atmosphere!

......don't judge me for my camouflage please.....

Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
We have so many "small" places that are high volume and have big lines. And they only have a couple of registers. Like one or 2. If there are 20 tables, 4 turnovers a night, and each group spends 60 minutes in at the table, and it takes 5 minutes to create each split check, it could easily add up to a problem. Especially if the place needs every turnover to make a profit. I find it completely logical to limit the split checks per party. Especially in a large group where you could end up with 9 or 9 separate checks!

If you know you want a split check, hit up the waitress when she takes your drink order so you can ensure you get your split check, and don't wait until the bill comes!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,614,934 times
Because I'm the one in accounting, I always end up being the one to figure out how much each person had to fork over. Generally my friends and I split it evenly. However how I do things is we agree on a percentage or amount for the tip. I'll add the tip to the total, and then round it up to the nearest dollar and then divide the total amount among the people. This way everyone pays the same amount.

One friend we take turns paying when we hang out and I do the same with the BF although sometimes I wonder if going half on the bill would make more sense.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,280,139 times
Almost every restaurant you will go to here has a sign up or on the menu

"sorry no separate accounts".

As an ex-hospitality worker myself, I know a drunk table of 12 are not going to queue up and admit to everything they individually ate/drank whilte you cash it up and hope like **** it balances when they leave.

Just not gonna happen, it's money walking out the door.

If you can't keep track of your own expenditure, don't go to restaurants. Stick with Mickey D's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships