Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Because we don't use "registers" anymore we use POS systems. POS systems designed for server use are designed so that tables are tabs. Not like a bartender's POS where it is designed to start a tab per name or bar stool. In addition, to prevent theft and so that items are accounted for, a lot of times to split checks requires a manager's authorization/swipe. This isn't a big deal if it isn't busy, but it can be a disaster if it is. Not only that, someone will often come to me from a large party and ask, "Can I have the check for what I paid for?" You mean I have to get a manager, sort through dozens of items, figure out what you got and neglect the rest of my patrons for 20 minutes? What if everyone in your party decided to do that? All my other tables would stiff me.

I dine out myself, probably more often than you do. It doesn't kill me to do the math. I accept that as part of going out.
Yeah, yeah, we know... and we don't care. My mother still calls her refrigerator a Frigidaire. Am I going to tell her that she's wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Depends on the group. Most of the time we split evenly. And leave 20-25% for tip. There are some people that like to be exact, so then we all calculate the bill.

What I do hate, those people that want to split the bill when they ordered steak and 3 drinks and everyone else had burgers and water, but then on the next outing, when they order an appetizer and everyone else gets an entree they insist upon everyone paying their share.

I try to not go out with those people any more or always get separate checks with them.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I've spent a lot of time working in restaurants and it was never difficult to split the check...

When I go out, if we all had close to the same amount of food/drink then I'm fine splitting it, but there are times when I'm on a tight budget and I don't think it's fair if I ordered a salad and a glass of iced tea that I should have to split the check when other people ordered steak and lobster. I would never expect my friends to chip in for my food and drinks.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Seperate checks all the way. Some friends drink more which will drive up a split bill, I usually eat more that will drive up the bill. We go seperate to avoid drama.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Agree in advance that there will be a separate tab run for each member of the party. Cuts down on the arguing, the ruffled feathers and tacky calculator stuff. I get taken advantage of at these kinds of outings sometimes because I'm not so exact. I would pay $3 or $4 of a friends tab if they couldn't cover it, and I really wouldn't think twice about it.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It really depends on which friends I am with, how many there are in our group, and how often we go out to eat together.

If it's a frequent thing and it's just a couple of us, then we just take turns picking up the whole bill.

Otherwise, if some in our group drink more alcohol than others, or if someone orders a really expensive entree (like a lobster), then it is only fair for each of us to pay exactly for what we ordered. And I have a couple of "dry" friends who especially don't want to pay for anyone else's alcoholic drinks... and I don't blame them for feeling that way.
This. I don't drink and I rarely order the most expensive thing on the menu; my entree is usually one of the cheaper ones, and I don't see why I should have to constantly subsidize other peoples' choices. Splitting the check evenly is, IMHO, a total ripoff and I would refuse to do it. I chip in only for what I ate plus tax and tip. That's all.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
when I was making a decent salary and not in school I would take turns with my friends splitting the bill.

At bars we would pay for each round taking turns

Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yeah, yeah, we know... and we don't care. My mother still calls her refrigerator a Frigidaire. Am I going to tell her that she's wrong?
Yes. Cause she is. And so are you.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I've spent a lot of time working in restaurants and it was never difficult to split the check...
That's assuming a. you work in a place you can split a check without manager authorization b. there is a party of no more than two or three and both you and they know what they ordered (yes that's a tall task for some people apparently) c. you work in a slow place where you have nothing else better to do.

It's much easier if people do separate payments as opposed to separate checks. Like hand me two cards and say put 40 bucks on the Amex and 30 on the Visa.

I worked in a place in midtown that was so busy they would not allow you to split checks for people at all, because in the extra time it took to work out the payments and the splitting people would take advantage and walk out on servers.

I work in a busy, slammed Manhattan sports bar in Murray Hill currently. I have a 9 table section which consists of three party tables (6-10 guest tables). I wanna lose it sometimes when random people walk up to me and ask me, "Can I pay for the beers I ordered?"

"Well, what did you order?"

"I must had like three beers. I think the pumpkin wheat, a bud light. Maybe a mixed drink, I don't remember. And some food too."

Half the time I can't even remember what table the person came from, let alone what they ordered. And if it's a party table, splitting it off means I lose gratuity money. For some reason people seem to have a decreased sense of responsibility if in a group of people.

So I just will say no to split checks for groups of more than six under any circumstances. I tell people I will just take cash or a partial payment towards the balance of the check.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
It all depends but I dont drink so im not paying for someone elses alcohol consumption. Im also a great tipper but only if the server is doing their job if not then I leave no tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships