Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,716 times

Advertisements

I was called every name and even some names that I'd never heard of when I worked in the VZW Prepaid Dept. I enjoyed getting those calls and oftentimes would calm the customer down. Several of those angry even apologized to me afterwards for being jerks when they realized that it wasn't my fault that their credit card was declined due to lack of funds available.

Thanks to that job I developed a thick skin; I can handle being yelled at or cursed at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I stand corrected – it is a marmot. Good eye, muleskinner .
TY..I wouldn't have known it,but his hair "decorator" forgot to remove the tail one time and I spotted it while he was pontificating on his superior intellect(failing to mention his inheiritance)on Jimmy Kimmel one night..it was luck on my part,not skill.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Just come and hang out with me. I'm in health care and I'm often treated like the maid buy my patients and family members.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
We have had a couple of different cleaning companies working in our office and we have always done our best to be courteous and considerate. One time there was an awful misunderstanding between me and the current cleaning person and I had to call and apologise, which I did even though I felt an absolute fool. But I deserved it! Our new cleaning crew is so polite they even forget to take their checks with them .

When I worked in customer support years ago we had the most awful people calling us. Usually it turned out the rudest ones were also the ones who owed us money.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM

417 posts, read 1,129,080 times
As someone who has never worked at anything except service jobs, I have to say that it depends entirely on your location. I've always lived and worked in a sparsely populated, rural area and have never had a problem with rudeness! In fact, I consider the regular customers at the small corner grocery where I work as my friends, and made several friends with customers at a previous retail position I held at a convenience store / gas station. I love my work, and the customers are the reason (it certainly isn't the pay - LOL)! Early in my working life, I was a housekeeper at a motel in a tourist town, and I experienced no actual rudeness there, either - in fact, the guests more or less ignored us, although if we smiled and said hello in the hallways, they invariably responded with a smile and greeting.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Yes. They also ask you "Where is the bathroom?" without saying excuse me or thank you.

I own couple of retail businesses in the shopping mall, people (well some of them) are extremely RUDE to me and my sales associates. I have very thick skin because of my retail businesses.

I feel sorry for these people. Their children are EQUALLY rude. Karma is a Bi*ch.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
As someone who has never worked at anything except service jobs, I have to say that it depends entirely on your location. I've always lived and worked in a sparsely populated, rural area and have never had a problem with rudeness! In fact, I consider the regular customers at the small corner grocery where I work as my friends, and made several friends with customers at a previous retail position I held at a convenience store / gas station. I love my work, and the customers are the reason (it certainly isn't the pay - LOL)! Early in my working life, I was a housekeeper at a motel in a tourist town, and I experienced no actual rudeness there, either - in fact, the guests more or less ignored us, although if we smiled and said hello in the hallways, they invariably responded with a smile and greeting.
I have to say it also depends on OUR attitude. I work in an extremely busy, very large, retail store and 99% of my customers are just great. I encounter very little rudeness and when I do I counter it with being extra nice. They can't complain that I was TOO nice, right? lol I figure I'm going to get back what I put out there mostly and it seems to work pretty well.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
This reminds me of this restaurant in nyc where the waiters are actually supposed to be rude to customers. If I ever had a restaurant, there would be a sign stating waiters will take recourse to rude customers. Plus maybe a 20% "gratuity" at the time of the bill.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
By service jobs, I mean housekeeping and cleaning jobs. I have a job that requires cleaning and housekeeping at a fairly large company. One day a company executive( who I don't directly work for) comes in, snaps his fingers, and says rather loudly "hey cleaning lady, there's dirt on the floor over here". Or someone will just tell me they want something done rather than ask.

But it's not just in the company I work at. I was at a hotel one time and somebody said "housekeeper, you can clean our room now." Once I went to a restaurant, someone had to get the attention of a waiter by whistling at him.
Depends on the part of the country. Treat someone like that in the Midwest and the South and you be considered the most horrible person alive.

In fact, it's a pretty good measure of character in a person. Because someone who is nice to you but isn't nice to the waiter isn't a nice person at all.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
That orange raccoon on his head disagrees with your statement .
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You both are wrong. I agree with Bill Maher that The Donald is a result of human/orangutan breeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships