Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Depends on the part of the country. Treat someone like that in the Midwest and the South and you be considered the most horrible person alive.

In fact, it's a pretty good measure of character in a person. Because someone who is nice to you but isn't nice to the waiter isn't a nice person at all.
I had a client that told me she would pay attention to how her dates treated the wait staff. Rude - and no goodnight kiss or a second date. Her theory evidently worked because the guy she married was a super guy. Pay attention - how they treat service people is how they often eventually will treat you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
By service jobs, I mean housekeeping and cleaning jobs. I have a job that requires cleaning and housekeeping at a fairly large company. One day a company executive( who I don't directly work for) comes in, snaps his fingers, and says rather loudly "hey cleaning lady, there's dirt on the floor over here". Or someone will just tell me they want something done rather than ask.

But it's not just in the company I work at. I was at a hotel one time and somebody said "housekeeper, you can clean our room now." Once I went to a restaurant, someone had to get the attention of a waiter by whistling at him.
The dude at that company was being a jerk. All you have to do in a case like that is say, "Thank you, I'll get to it."

But telling you you can clean the room sounds like they were just telling you they were leaving so you could clean the room. Purely informational. And if someone had to whistle at the waiter to get his attention, it probably means he wasn't doing his job, which involves glancing around at the customers periodically to see if anyone needed something. All customers usually have to do is catch the waitstaff's eye with a hand signal, a wave. If the waiter/waitress isn't at least minimally attentive, people will conclude that the service is poor.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I have this ex friend who treated nail ladies as if nail ladies are servants. That is why she is Ex friend.
I can't stand people looking down others because they are in service jobs.

When I was in college, my friend started a business cleaning toilets for big businesses. We were bunch of UCLA students who just wanted to explore the world. Plus, starting businesses is fun, we could care less how others treated us. But oh boy, didn't they treat us like we were just piece of dirt on the floor?!

I am a business owner now (retail stores owner) and I have college students or high school students came up to me asking for a job all the time. They told me, "It doesn't matter how much you pay me, I need this job." It always brings a smile to my face because I respect people like that. Every single time I see people look down, talk down, mistreat people in service, I just tell myself, "I am glad I am not dating him/her, I am glad he/she is not my brother or sister."

I can't stand people like that. People in service are making honest living, there are absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-16-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have this ex friend who treated nail ladies as if nail ladies are servants. That is why she is Ex friend.
I can't stand people looking down others because they are in service jobs.

When I was in college, my friend started a business cleaning toilets for big businesses. We were bunch of UCLA students who just wanted to explore the world. Plus, starting businesses is fun, we could care less how others treated us. But oh boy, didn't they treat us like we were just piece of dirt on the floor?!

I am a business owner now (retail stores owner) and I have college students or high school students came up to me asking for a job all the time. They told me, "It doesn't matter how much you pay me, I need this job." It always brings a smile to my face because I respect people like that. Every single time I see people look down, talk down, mistreat people in service, I just tell myself, "I am glad I am not dating him/her, I am glad he/she is not my brother or sister."

I can't stand people like that. People in service are making honest living, there are absolutely nothing wrong with them.
This. I think one of the advantages of reaching my fifties is realizing how little status and money matter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my position in life. But I've encountered a lot of well-off people whom I wouldn't give the time of day. We have a pretty varied group of friends, from a carpenter to a Marine colonel to successful business people, people who have all kinds of political and religious beliefs. But the one common denominator among them is that they're interesting conversationalists who appreciate others for who they are, not what they do.

I hope that we're teaching our kids to think the same way. When we go to a fast-food place on a trip and it's a busy time of day, I remind my kids that I worked at an Arby's years ago. I also remind them that I waited tables to make ends meet. All to give them the idea that your job isn't who you are.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Yes. I don't think it's always meant that way. They just want what they want when they want it.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
By service jobs, I mean housekeeping and cleaning jobs. I have a job that requires cleaning and housekeeping at a fairly large company. One day a company executive( who I don't directly work for) comes in, snaps his fingers, and says rather loudly "hey cleaning lady, there's dirt on the floor over here". Or someone will just tell me they want something done rather than ask.

But it's not just in the company I work at. I was at a hotel one time and somebody said "housekeeper, you can clean our room now." Once I went to a restaurant, someone had to get the attention of a waiter by whistling at him.
Oh brother...but don't you find these are the wife beaters and abusers of animals and children, too?
These are screwed up people.
I am so sorry. And they are everywhere, on the road, at work, at the store...
I never experienced this in a decade of being in the service industry, myself.

Oh, I fired a rude massage client though, a nasty, angry, self centered,
ignorant school teacher...
gives me the heebies just thinking of her!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
I try to stay away from rude people, no matter who they are rude to. I agree it probably comes from trying to elevate themselves above the level of "the staff."

When you see or hear someone being rude to a person working, speak up! Be very nice and kind and tell them to stop. Rude people often have their own demons they're dealing with, just like everyone else. It's no excuse, but you can deflect some of their ire or whatever off the person who probably hears it 50 times a day. At least it will get their bad mood off the employee and onto you. Stop letting bad behavior just go by unchallenged.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:

There are some people so miserable that they only way they can feel like a "big shot" is to demean someone else. These are people who generally are on the low end of the totem pole themselves. You will discover that the more important, influential and wealthy the person, generally the nicer they are to you.

Most people who treat others like this have miserable lives themselves. Rest assured that many of them would gladly trade the stress of a "high powered" job like theirs for a lower stress alternative. I have worked in hotel housekeeping many years and we have had lots of nurses, business owners, teachers, police dispatchers, and other people turn to housekeeping because of stress. Keep in mind too, that many people feel helpless and use an opportunity to boss someone else around as an opportunity to feel like they have *some* control of their lives.

Pity them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have to say it also depends on OUR attitude. I work in an extremely busy, very large, retail store and 99% of my customers are just great. I encounter very little rudeness and when I do I counter it with being extra nice. They can't complain that I was TOO nice, right? lol I figure I'm going to get back what I put out there mostly and it seems to work pretty well.
Don't you pretty much just run a register now though? I get to be out on the sales floor and let me tell you people can be major jerks. I have had the dog whistle approach from people halfway across the store trying to get my attention. I have people walk up and interrupt me while I'm helping another customer find something and then get MAD when I tell them I'll be with them as soon as I can because you know, I'm with this customer now.The other day one had a cow because I didn't know how to use HIS phone to find the app HE downloaded.
We won't even go into the responses I get when I have to tell them they can't have something they want. NO, you can't park in the fire zone, can't write a third party check, can't substitute the name brand 12 pack for the generic 6 pack, you can't buy three times the limit on this weeks loss leader, you can't come in to shop ten minutes before we open because you need to be at work on time, no you can't violate company policy because you're a special snowflake. People hate being told no, even when you never even actually come right out and say no.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Don't you pretty much just run a register now though? I get to be out on the sales floor and let me tell you people can be major jerks. I have had the dog whistle approach from people halfway across the store trying to get my attention. I have people walk up and interrupt me while I'm helping another customer find something and then get MAD when I tell them I'll be with them as soon as I can because you know, I'm with this customer now.The other day one had a cow because I didn't know how to use HIS phone to find the app HE downloaded.
We won't even go into the responses I get when I have to tell them they can't have something they want. NO, you can't park in the fire zone, can't write a third party check, can't substitute the name brand 12 pack for the generic 6 pack, you can't buy three times the limit on this weeks loss leader, you can't come in to shop ten minutes before we open because you need to be at work on time, no you can't violate company policy because you're a special snowflake. People hate being told no, even when you never even actually come right out and say no.
Just run a register? I guess so but there's a whooole lot more to my job than that. I often help people on the floor as well.

I worked in restaurants for about 35 years. I've been called "Hey you!", I've had fingers snapped at me, I've been whistled for, the gamut. Not much you can tell me about how people can sometimes treat other people. On the job I have now I've actually had people get mad because a CSM came along and told me to close down for a break or lunch. I will take everyone who was already in line when the closed sign went up but people after that think they should be allowed too. Never mind that I've been standing there working my butt off for at least two hours, sometimes more, and I NEED that break. Tell me how much people hate hearing "No". lol Fortunately for me those types of things are rare, considering how many customers I actually deal with day after day. And if they are rude I will never return it with rudeness. I won't drag myself down to some jerks level.

People are people. Some are not nice. You either accept that, get a thick skin and develop a good sense of humor, or don't work with the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships