Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,183,247 times

Advertisements

Yes it is just that easy.

We don't socialize with people we don't like. Group outing? We do something else.

Life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,894,486 times
Nope. Never. Life's too short.

I spend time with family and friends.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,374,739 times
I try to avoid it, but I don't like all my relatives, co-workers, or neighbors. So, yes, to keep the peace I am sometimes in the position of socializing with those people. To refuse to do it would create more problems than it would solve in my situation. I try to avoid drama and to do that sometimes requires "going along to get along" as my rather introverted father used to say.

I am reminded of a charming story a woman once told me. She was tucking her four-year-old in one night and her daughter asked, "Mommy, do I have to like everybody?" Mom replied, "Do you like everybody?" Her child answered, "No. There are some people I don't like at all." (I wouldn't be surprised if she provided examples.) Mom said she explained, "None of us likes everyone. But we still have to use our good manners and be polite to those people. But that doesn't mean we can't dislike them in our minds."

Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,604,535 times
A good indicator of a person's maturity (or immaturity) level is how he/she handles himself around people he dislikes. Mature, emotionally sound people will minimize their exposure around those they don't like...why waste time dwelling around such folks. In situations where they have to interact with such folks (workplace for example), they are still polite and courteous. Continuing with the workplace example, if things get bad then they may consider escalating the matter to their boss or HR.

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean it's appropriate to behave rudely around them.

I'll also mention that most likable and emotionally sound people tend not to dislike very many people that they know in the first place. They either like or are indifferent towards most people. As for hate (which is worse than mere dislike)...they generally don't hate anyone unless they a damn good reason for it...and even then they don't dwell on it.

If you dislike a large percentage of the population, then some introspection may be a good idea.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,678,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post

Don't tell us we should just stop socializing with people we don't like. It is not that easy.
Stop socializing with people you don't like. Actually, that was quite easy...

Maybe you just need to get older. I no longer socialize with anyone I don't want to socialize with. That includes family. So much better this way. You don't HAVE to do anything. There's always a choice, once you are an adult, and you're not in jail of course.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:05 PM

830 posts, read 1,671,559 times
No. It used to be I would be with a group of friends and I wouldn't like a friend of a friend, or a boyfriend of a friend or something, but that rarely happens now. I try to find something to like about everyone, and I don't decide I dislike a person based on first impression. It takes a lot to make me dislike or hate someone.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,318,262 times
Yes, my girlfriend.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,241,919 times
Reminds me of the women I know who get together every single week, then gossip and complain about each other behind their backs. And I keep getting asked why I won't participate...no thanks.

Most people who do this, are getting some sort of reward out of it or they would stop doing it.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM

215 posts, read 261,025 times
It depends on how many people one dislikes. My dad once told me 'If you dislike 1% of the people around you, try to avoid them. If you dislike more people than that then try to challenge and change yourself'. I dislike roughly 10% of the people I meet so I swallow my opinion and try to socialize with them.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM

11,421 posts, read 9,349,138 times
I never do that. Can't relate as a few already mentioned life is too short to deal with that kind of stress.

Probably a reason why I am alone as much as I am...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships