Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM

38 posts, read 45,481 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how much time I spend talking to people I just don't like. They are family members, neighbors, coworkers, people who are in a number of civic groups I participate in, etc.

They are generally not mean or angry people but there is something about them that causes our socializing to be unsatisfying or just plain miserable. No chemistry, rudeness, lack of conversation skills, boring, talk too much, etc. For a variety of reasons I just don't like them.

My husband feels the same about a couple of his sisters. One time I was a little drunk and ran into his sister and she asked me why we never call them to socialize. Because I was a little drunk, I was so honest. I looked at her in the eye and said, "it is because my husband and I don't like you." We have not heard from her since. I wish it was so easy with everyone else.

Don't tell us we should just stop socializing with people we don't like. It is not that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
"Do you socialize often with people you just don't like?"

No.
Why would I?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,782,643 times
I look at it this way. I don't waste my energy worrying about people I don't care for.

At work, we're being paid to do a job. Part of that job means interacting with others ( unless we work totally alone.) Socializing with co-workers would mean going to lunch or dinner with them or seeing them after work. No one forces us to do that. Working with someone on a project, or just getting along with them in a work setting, is called being cordial and polite. It's not socializing. I don't see it as a big deal to be cordial and polite as this is necessary to do the job for which one is being paid. This is life.

Same with joining a civic association. People normally join these as they see a greater good from participating with these groups. Again all one has to do is to be cordial and co-operative to achieve whatever goals you're aiming at. You're not being asked to hang out with them at your home or spend your time outside of this group time with them. If it's really all that annoying, I would just drop out of that association.

With family, I'd just avoid those relatives whose company you don't enjoy. Put them in " wedding and funeral" association only mode. This is one area where you can really pick and chose the amount of time you spend with people. Put up boundaries and stick to them.

Same with neighbors- Keep it pleasant, polite and limited.

Then I'd move my emotional energy and physical time to socializing with those people I really do like and not worry about the others.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,337,846 times
I refuse to waste my life spending time with people who are toxic, rude, obnoxious, loud or who don't like me.
I don't care if they are family, neighbors, co workers, friends, the guy down the road with the mangy looking truck.
Why would I go out of my way to be nice to someone who isn't nice to anyone?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,278,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
I looked at her in the eye and said, "it is because my husband and I don't like you." We have not heard from her since. I wish it was so easy with everyone else.
Well you may have a very different situation than mine, and as a couple I know you can get corralled into social situations with people you'd rather avoid, but it really is just that easy, "hey, we just don't like you." It's a short and remarkably effective social tool. I've used it myself to great effect. They left me alone after that. The hardest thing about it is having the nerve to use it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM

24,724 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Drink more often or be more honest more often.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,450,286 times
"It is amazing how much time I spend talking to people I just don't like. They are family members, neighbors, coworkers, people who are in a number of civic groups I participate in, etc. They are generally not mean or angry people but there is something about them that causes our socializing to be unsatisfying or just plain miserable. No chemistry, rudeness, lack of conversation skills, boring, talk too much, etc. For a variety of reasons I just don't like them."

You come off as rather abrupt and rude in this post. Is it possible that you're the common denominator, and that everyone else is actually nice?

Last edited by convextech; 08-18-2014 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,565,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
It is amazing how much time I spend talking to people I just don't like. They are family members, neighbors, coworkers, people who are in a number of civic groups I participate in, etc.

They are generally not mean or angry people but there is something about them that causes our socializing to be unsatisfying or just plain miserable. No chemistry, rudeness, lack of conversation skills, boring, talk too much, etc. For a variety of reasons I just don't like them.

My husband feels the same about a couple of his sisters. One time I was a little drunk and ran into his sister and she asked me why we never call them to socialize. Because I was a little drunk, I was so honest. I looked at her in the eye and said, "it is because my husband and I don't like you." We have not heard from her since. I wish it was so easy with everyone else.

Don't tell us we should just stop socializing with people we don't like. It is not that easy.
It's not that easy. You can't avoid them all. But you can control who comes into your inner circle. Nothing wrong with kicking family to the curb if they're toxic.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,563,072 times
I am a member of a special-interest group that meets once a month, which I enjoy a great deal. (Think of it as something like a bird-watching group, or a beer-making group, for example).

There are two members in the group who I greatly dislike. They aren't overtly rude, but they just exude a negative vibe that I find a complete turn off.

Unfortunately, I really like everyone else in the group.

I've struggled to tolerate the presence of these two. And they tend to show up every month (they are a married couple).

At a recent meeting, as the man spoke, I practiced just being completely detached while I listened to him speak. I just let his words enter my ears and then pass through, as if I didn't even hear them. This approach seemed to work fairly well, and I plan to apply it next month when he and his wife will be there.

I would love it if they would quit the group, but its doubtful they will.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 PM

16,073 posts, read 7,089,830 times
Quote:
But you managed to do just that with your SIL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships