Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM

254 posts, read 465,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Every day is for the family, not just that day. Enjoy family and life everyday. If you want to enjoy shopping on Thanksgiving with the family, let them be.

I repped your comment because I know exactly where you are going with that statement. The problem (in my honest opinion) is that this mentality can be used for every other holiday that exists. Veterans Day? We should celebrate them everyday. Valentines day? We shouldn't have a day to celebrate the people we love. They should know it! Halloween? Kids should be free to dress in creative ways and get candy all the time (somewhat).

The only one that doesn't work is Labor Day. Although, let's be honest... I wouldn't mind being paid to take off work everyday!

The reason for a holiday is so that family both near and far can mark their calendar for a day during the year when everyone can be together. Save up money for that plane ticket because you know it's going to be every year at the same time.

Now if you go shopping as a family and it is awesome, then so be it! And if you spend Thanksgiving with people you see everyday, then shopping isn't so bad.

I just think it's absurd when family comes from out of town and people decide they would much rather risk getting trampled for a flat screen tv rather than spend time with grandma.

Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post

The reason for a holiday is so that family both near and far can mark their calendar for a day during the year when everyone can be together. Save up money for that plane ticket because you know it's going to be every year at the same time.
But for a lot of families, it's not a time when everyone can be together. People live in different places. Some family members can't afford the plane ticket or they want to stay home and create their own traditions. Some are spending it with the in-laws. Some have to work--not necessarily because of greedy corporate overlords, but because they don't get Wednesday or Friday off to travel. Having a day when all the family can be together is a noble sentiment, but it's not reality for most families.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-18-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 01:25 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,762,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
I repped your comment because I know exactly where you are going with that statement. The problem (in my honest opinion) is that this mentality can be used for every other holiday that exists. Veterans Day? We should celebrate them everyday. Valentines day? We shouldn't have a day to celebrate the people we love. They should know it! Halloween? Kids should be free to dress in creative ways and get candy all the time (somewhat).

The only one that doesn't work is Labor Day. Although, let's be honest... I wouldn't mind being paid to take off work everyday!

Now if you go shopping as a family and it is awesome, then so be it! And if you spend Thanksgiving with people you see everyday, then shopping isn't so bad.

I just think it's absurd when family comes from out of town and people decide they would much rather risk getting trampled for a flat screen tv rather than spend time with grandma.

Just my thoughts.
We're thinking along the same lines. I can respect your sentiment.

One problem is airline tickets are more expensive during the holidays. I prefer to visit people on non-holiday weekends. But I understand this isn't for everyone

Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But for a lot of families, it's not a time when everyone can be together. People live in different places. Some family members can't afford the plane ticket or they want to stay home and create their own traditions. Some are spending it with the in-laws. Some have to work--not necessarily because of greedy corporate overlords, but because they don't get Wednesday or Friday off to travel. Having a day when all the family can be together is a noble sentiment, but it's not reality for most families.
This is why I love Thanksgiving. My aunt and uncle and their kids (even their girlfriends) who live in AZ as well come over to my parents house. My future sister(in-law) and her mother are coming over for their first Thanksgiving with us, as are my parents friends who are like family to my brother and I come over. We celebrate family which is why I love Thanksgiving more-so now than when I was a kid say 10/20 years ago. It's about celebrating family, in particular ones who you may not see that often. Luckily everyone lives out in AZ so it's just paying for gas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships