Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM

947 posts, read 926,598 times

Advertisements

This is sad. Thanksgiving is a national holiday so that families can spend time together, bonding, on a holiday. Businesses are destroying when they hold one of the biggest sale days of the year on a national holiday. If this continues, eventually they'll start holding huge sales on Christmas and Easter and the 4th of July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,296,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wasn't there some sort of airline or luggage rant?
It was the whole "I want to sleep so everyone must keep their window shades down even though it's the middle of the day" debacle.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,296,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, cruises aren't usually in America. Thanksgiving is 100% an American holiday.
Lots of cruises that sail out of US ports. You don't think the employees are from the US?

Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,661,748 times
We stay home on such holidays and don't join the mindless crowds! Won't even shop on the internet that day. The early settlers and the native Americans weren't celebrating that the stores were open on that day.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,929,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've wondered that, myself. Maybe we're just at the point where retail is one of the kind of jobs that works holidays. It's certainly not the only one.
Yeah, I'm not too broken up about people having to work on Thanksgiving. I'll be home alone, and if someone asked me if I wanted to work on Thursday or Friday, I'd probably be glad to do so.

Plenty of people don't have a happy thanksgiving waiting at home for them, so wouldn't they be just as content to work?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yeah, I'm not too broken up about people having to work on Thanksgiving. I'll be home alone, and if someone asked me if I wanted to work on Thursday or Friday, I'd probably be glad to do so.

Plenty of people don't have a happy thanksgiving waiting at home for them, so wouldn't they be just as content to work?
In all my years of working I think the only times I've ever been at home for Thanksgiving was when I was UNemployed. I've always worked customer service, in several different venues, over the years but in none of them were 'weekends and holidays' something I should expect. No such thing in the hospitality or retail trades. It's hard when the rest of your family works 'normal' days/hours and I know I missed a lot of family functions, up to and including weddings, etc.. Having said that, I never have really minded working weekends and holidays. As a waitress the money was phenomenal so why not? I've always thought that just because a holiday falls on a certain day it doesn't have to be celebrated on "the day". Many of mine weren't and still aren't. I'll be working Thanksgiving AND Black Friday...or is it now "gray Thurs"??? lol I do have Christmas off where I work now. This year it means I get three days in a row off because Christmas day is on Thur. and my days off are Tues. and Wed.. A win-win for me!

Millions of people work weekends and holidays for years. I guess if we really didn't like it we'd find something with hours we'd like better! I just don't care as long as I always get two days off, together! I hate split days off. Grrrrr...

Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Lots of cruises that sail out of US ports. You don't think the employees are from the US?
Very few are deporting on Turkey Day. Actually, many employees aren't American. When you sign up to be a cruise ship employee, you sign up to work for several months at a time. You don't get days off like a regular job. Many of the employees earn very nice salaries. I know people who only have to work 7 months a year because they work on cruise ships!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I know many people who don't even bother celebrating holidays like Thanksgiving. They're alone or a couple and don't want to be bothered or reminded about spending another holiday alone.

Plenty of people have to work on holidays. I've worked on Thanksgiving. Didn't kill me. I was happy to have the extra pay!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,729,162 times
LOL. I'm glad someone brought up his previous user ID. There are probably similar posts under a few older user IDs too. Weekend Traveler, White Collar Worker, Stranded And Lonely, et. al.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:33 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,014,044 times
I've never shopped on black friday so I won't be shopping on thanksgiving either.

I do work holidays though. I'm in air traffic so we are open every hour of every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships