Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:36 AM

715 posts, read 1,238,001 times

Advertisements

Not going shopping on Thanskgiving, but my fiance and I like to check out Black Friday sales. We usually end up leaving his parent's house relatively late, so many stores are open around midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM

254 posts, read 466,401 times
I feel bad for Thanksgiving. I remember when Halloween was just for the kids and we would look forward to the family holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Now Halloween is a huge party event, Christmas is "gimme gimme" time, and Thanksgiving is the day companies in the red go to the black.

For me, thanksgiving will always be eating at 2:00, feeling stuffed until 6:00, watching Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, going to another family member's house at 7:00, eating again, and hitting a bar with friends at 9:00.

The only shopping I do on thanksgiving is beer shopping!

I'm sorry for your holiday loss...

Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,769,262 times
I'll be the odd one out. Thanksgiving isn't that special. I am thankful every day that I have my health and friends and family are still around. I visit them and they visit us regularly.

People should be thankful everyday and don't worry about making such a big deal out of the Thanksgiving holiday.

If people think shopping together and joining the masses on Black Friday (or is it Thursday now ) is their idea of sharing and having fun together, so be it.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think it's absurd for people to even think about shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Just reeks of low quality family time and seems to be a reflection of some serious problems within the family. The outside world is dead to my family on that day. That's how much we enjoy being together.
Same with our family. Can't imagine putting some stupid Thanksgiving Day sale ahead of family. If my family did that, I would just have a TV dinner and watch the stupid football games. Oh we don't do football on that special day either. I don't understand the commercialization of holidays. I think it misses the point completely.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,939,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Grammar Nazi here....I think you meant to say, "I could NOT care less...." Meaning you are at the bottom of your caring, and there is no more caring to be given.

Carry on......
You undoubtedly reveled in the fact that the article 7 Wishes linked us to spelled "ad nauseam" wrong ("ad nauseum").

Carry on.......

Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,939,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's wonderful for you. Not everyone wants to spend that much time with their family. Sure, maybe it's a reflection of serious problems, but it is what it is.
Least convincing use of this not terribly convincing phrase I've seen all year.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,825,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Last Thanksgiving the conversation was going pretty well on Thanksgiving but mid afternoon the younger people started to get restless. They kept looking at the time and started to talk about leaving the house around 5PM so they could be first in line when the stores opened at 6PM at the local shopping mall.

Our original plan was to have our formal Thanksgiving dinner at 5 PM but many family members were angry about this because all the stores would be opening then. They wanted to move dinner to 4 PM instead. After many tears, and lots of shouting, finally Grandma approved the changed time. By 4:30 we were just getting into the conversation and a group of people announced they wanted to leave immediately so they could get in line at Best Buy.

There went our glorious Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner. Can you relate? (The stores are opening up even an hour earlier this year!)
Nope none of my family gets caught up in that nonsense. By the way from what I've read if BestBuy is opening at 6 by 5 there is already a days old long line..just saying

Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,704,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think it's absurd for people to even think about shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Just reeks of low quality family time and seems to be a reflection of some serious problems within the family. The outside world is dead to my family on that day. That's how much we enjoy being together.
Some people see their families frequently so it's really just another day with them. Others can't stand their families so it's like a day of torture. Then there's the people in the middle. It's not the same for everyone. It's great if your family likes spending time together. There are many who don't.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,811,118 times
No, because we are not slaves to the commercial economy. Thanksgiving is for the family.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,769,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No, because we are not slaves to the commercial economy. Thanksgiving is for the family.
Every day is for the family, not just that day. Enjoy family and life everyday. If you want to enjoy shopping on Thanksgiving with the family, let them be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships