Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,383,644 times

Advertisements

Both of my brothers work in retail. They are required to work Wednesday night, then return to work at 4:00 p.m. Thanksgiving Day. This means that in order for them to have a short nap before work, we will have to eat Thanksgiving dinner at noon, with little or no time to visit with them afterward.

Neither myself or any of the others at dinner plan on doing any shopping on Thanksgiving Day (or night either). So our family Thanksgiving is pretty much ruined, but not by our own doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,305,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Both of my brothers work in retail. They are required to work Wednesday night, then return to work at 4:00 p.m. Thanksgiving Day. This means that in order for them to have a short nap before work, we will have to eat Thanksgiving dinner at noon, with little or no time to visit with them afterward.

Neither myself or any of the others at dinner plan on doing any shopping on Thanksgiving Day (or night either). So our family Thanksgiving is pretty much ruined, but not by our own doing.
It's unfortunate that you won't be able to visit with your brothers as much as you would like, but your Thanksgiving is hardly ruined because you have to eat at noon. Visit with them during the meal. Enjoy that time together.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,471,081 times
Thanksgiving was cut short last year due to people wanting to shop.

This year my son is working in retail, and will be working a 12 plus hour shift starting at 6:00, he has to leave the house at 5:00.

He can't drive to us cause we are 2 hours away and he wants to sleep in, the rest want to go shopping, so it will be just me and my daughter . . . it's really sad, yet another holiday is all about retail.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
guys and kids stayed home, watched TV,...
We don't do TV, unless it is a planed movie themed for Thanksgiving. Guess I look at Thanksgiving as an uninterrupted family time to really give thanks for all we have and enjoy each other's company. It is too important to watch the boobtube.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Thanksgiving was cut short last year due to people wanting to shop.

This year my son is working in retail, and will be working a 12 plus hour shift starting at 6:00, he has to leave the house at 5:00.

He can't drive to us cause we are 2 hours away and he wants to sleep in, the rest want to go shopping, so it will be just me and my daughter . . . it's really sad, yet another holiday is all about retail.
Maybe you could celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day. Why bother if everyone is running around to make a few bucks. No meaning in the day at all if people are just stressing out over trying to please the CEO's that are home with family that day enjoying the money their company makes on the backs of the "little people".

All these stories are pretty sad. We really enjoy Thanksgiving at our home. No CEO would tell me I am working. I would quit and find another job. Not in that order though.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 AM
gg

Quote:
Different day?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,423,528 times
I would take a pretty dim view of anyone that "had to" go shopping on Thanksgiving Day or evening. I'm sorry, but the deals aren't really that good. A lot of people just get sucked into the commercialization and hype.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,305,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Different day?
One of my colleagues was just telling us that his family celebrated Thanksgiving over this past weekend. He said it's much less stressful than trying to celebrate it on the actual day. Travel is MUCH easier (and cheaper for those who fly), the supermarkets aren't crazed, and it makes it easier on those who have to choose between which side of their family to spend Thanksgiving Day with (i.e., his sister and her family was with them this past weekend, and they will spend Thanksgiving Day with her husband's side of the family)

Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,704,964 times
Quote:

Oh please! They need to take a nap after eating before working? What are they 89 years old? If you ate at noon and they don't have to work until 4 pm there's no time for visiting? You've got HOURS in there!

How is it ruined? Di you expect them to stay until midnight and socialize? They're your brothers so chances are high that you speak to and see each other more than one day a year. And if you aren't speaking to them or seeing them more than one day a year, they're not that important to you.

If they were doctors or police officer or train conductors who had to work would your life still be ruined?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,636,263 times
No plans to join the family for Thanksgiving dinner & no plans to shop. But if I see a deal on something I want/need, I'd go to the store on Thanksgiving as long as the roads are dry.

Tried the crazy am hours of Black Friday once....that was all it took. I stood in line for about 20 minutes to try to buy a few blankets at Kohl's then gave up and decided it wasn't worth waiting in such a long line to checkout. The checkout lines circled all around the store--so many waiting in line that it hindered those trying to shop. I like the idea of spreading out the hours the deals are offered. It would just make more sense if the retailers offered their deals BEFORE Thanksgiving. Oh wait, then people would complain that Christmas shopping should begin AFTER Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships