Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,510,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I thought Millennials were broke. Or so overwhelmed by student loan debt and depressed by having jobs not in their major that they had no money to shop.
The Millennials at OP's Thanksgiving Dinner will be too busy texting to go shopping, aside from when his nephew is lamenting about how she still can't find work years and years after graduating from college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Millennials at OP's Thanksgiving Dinner will be too busy texting to go shopping, aside from when his nephew is lamenting about how she still can't find work years and years after graduating from college.
We have a pretty good rule. The teenagers have to put their phones in a basket upon arrival. Works like a charm.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,894,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Millennials only text to drown out Baby Boomers who are clueless and talk never ending about our generation when they don't understand the circumstances of today.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
No, it won't as the family members that I have Thanksgiving with are not interested in shopping on the holiday.
Agreed. I would NEVER shop on Thanksgiving just out of respect for those that are made to work on a big family holiday. Seems it destroyed you Thanksgiving. Maybe you shouldn't even bother with it to send a message. If people have to shop and look at their watch, then they can just go wait in line all day. No turkey for you!

I think it is sick these stores do this and they should be boycotted. Some folks DO boycott them.

13 Stores That Won't Open On Thanksgiving

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,332,091 times
I think the idea of shopping on Thanksgiving is awful and I hope more and more people support the stores who stay closed that day and reverse this awful trend to open earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving Day.

I don't personally go shopping on Black Friday, except maybe a little bit of online shopping. But the crowds and craziness are not appealing to me at all.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:33 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,142,779 times
My ex-in-laws did that. It worked out fairly well for them, several ladies hit the stores and the guys and kids stayed home, watched TV, and continued to gorge on way too much food.

This year I am divorced and far from family, I will probably just work. I don't really care if stores open early, if people don't want to spend the time with their family then they might as well leave. If I were blessed to be celebrating with my family, there's no way I would leave them - unless they all wanted to go too of course!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,824,641 times
No. It's awful retailers are doing this. People who work retail never enjoy the holidays. The fact a store decides to ruin thanksgiving to make more money, won't. Be supported by the Veuve family!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 AM

9,832 posts, read 11,624,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I thought Millennials were broke. Or so overwhelmed by student loan debt and depressed by having jobs not in their major that they had no money to shop.
Nope!
Grandma/Grandpa keeps giving parents/Grandkids money for the tax break

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The Millennials only text to drown out Baby Boomers who are clueless and talk never ending about our generation when they don't understand the circumstances of today.
This is true at our house LOL!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,305,509 times
It's interesting that people get so outraged about shopping on Thanksgiving and rail against the injustice of making retail workers work on the Holiday. Yet I've never heard outrage for other people who have to work on Thanksgiving. And I'm not even talking about essential workers like fire, police, paramedics and hospital employees. I'm talking about other services that are technically not necessary. Eating out, going to the movies, or even traveling on Thanksgiving. Where's the outrage on behalf of ticket takers, waitstaff, kitchen staff, airport/airline employees, hotel employees, convenience store employees, roadside assistance? (And yes, I recognize that some people would consider travel to be essential, but I would disagree. It's NICE to be able to travel to join family for the holiday, but traveling on the actual day is usually at the expense of someone else who has to work to make that happen). Even if *you* do not partake of any of these services, you are well aware that plenty of people do. So where's your outrage over that?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 AM

29,793 posts, read 34,600,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's interesting that people get so outraged about shopping on Thanksgiving and rail against the injustice of making retail workers work on the Holiday. Yet I've never heard outrage for other people who have to work on Thanksgiving. And I'm not even talking about essential workers like fire, police, paramedics and hospital employees. I'm talking about other services that are technically not necessary. Eating out, going to the movies, or even traveling on Thanksgiving. Where's the outrage on behalf of ticket takers, waitstaff, kitchen staff, airport/airline employees, hotel employees, convenience store employees, roadside assistance? (And yes, I recognize that some people would consider travel to be essential, but I would disagree. It's NICE to be able to travel to join family for the holiday, but traveling on the actual day is usually at the expense of someone else who has to work to make that happen). Even if *you* do not partake of any of these services, you are well aware that plenty of people do. So where's your outrage over that?
I've wondered that, myself. Maybe we're just at the point where retail is one of the kind of jobs that works holidays. It's certainly not the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships