Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Very few are deporting on Turkey Day. Actually, many employees aren't American. When you sign up to be a cruise ship employee, you sign up to work for several months at a time. You don't get days off like a regular job. Many of the employees earn very nice salaries. I know people who only have to work 7 months a year because they work on cruise ships!
I didn't say they deported [sic] on Thanksgiving Day. But there are plenty of active cruises over the Thanksgiving holiday with MANY American employees. How much they're paid and how many months they work is irrelevant. They are Americans who have to work on Thanksgiving. So it still supports my earlier posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Plenty of people don't have a happy thanksgiving waiting at home for them, so wouldn't they be just as content to work?
And, too, Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, so it lacks the importance or the necessity to have the day off that other holidays might have. A practicing Jewish person wouldn't dream of working on Yom Kippur, for example, but Thanksgiving is just another Thursday for a lot of people.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM

417 posts, read 1,129,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think the idea of shopping on Thanksgiving is awful and I hope more and more people support the stores who stay closed that day and reverse this awful trend to open earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving Day.

I don't personally go shopping on Black Friday, except maybe a little bit of online shopping. But the crowds and craziness are not appealing to me at all.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! You wouldn't catch me dead at any of the Black Friday bull**it!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
Our Thanksgiving dinners are always at 2 to 2:30, which makes for a long day and evening inside our little house. This year we're having a few more than usual, and I would LOVE it if my nieces took interest in stepping out for a while to go shopping - just to make a little bit of breathing room for a while. Oddly enough, though, those nieces seem content to stay here and be bored.

I think many young people get bored sitting around, and being among family all day is not everybody's thing (heck, I get bored). So I have a lot less problem with stores being open and movie theaters running than my husband does (Thanksgiving is more his thing than mine).

5:00 does seem late to me but perhaps it's not that unusual.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:29 AM

381 posts, read 643,577 times
I know that people who work in retail are adversely affected by this and I will not go and patronize stores on Thursday or Friday.

I used to work in retail and remember Black Friday. It isn't worth it.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,127,218 times
I know a lot of people that go shopping Thanksgiving evening. I don't really have a problem with it. Dinner is over by the time the stores open at 6 and like Bluesmama said, it makes a little breathing room. All the years I have been alive, there have been people annoyed football is on Thanksgiving. This is no different really. I enjoy both football and shopping so I wouldn't begrudge someone a bit of fun. I like having football to watch (we are a football family) because it gives everyone something to do.

I had not planned on going shopping this year, but I saw something I need in one of the flyers. Office chair...I recently transitioned to working from home. The price is really good. I may stop at the store this week so I can check it out and decide if I want it. But, yeah if it's comfy for that price I am going to run over there at 6, pick up the chair and come back home. This will be my first time shopping on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM

720 posts, read 706,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To the person, we think shopping for anything on Thanksgiving to be appalling. Thanksgiving is family time, not a time to fight a zillion strangers at the mall to buy some useless doodad. There's something seriously wrong with that.
I agree totally. It's another shameless maneuver by the greedy corrupt corporations that places their profit over family time and values. People who engage in this utter nonsense either has no values or materialistic things are more important than family.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
No. We eat at 5:00 because it takes an hour for each turkey in the deep-fryer and the deep fryer takes about 30-40 minutes to get up to temp. Most of the sides my family are done that day or the day before. Any other hot dish anyone else brings pretty much just needs reheating besides a cocktail frank. If anything, Black Friday changes the length of stay after dessert.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Who goes to brick and mortar stores anymore? I can shop whenever I want and get the best deal I can find over the whole internet from my armchair....

Old 11-16-2014, 12:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Who goes to brick and mortar stores anymore? I can shop whenever I want and get the best deal I can find over the whole internet from my armchair....
I check Black Thursday too but that doesn't really effect dinner because I do that before we start to cook anything that needs to be done or get the turkey fryer and the birds prepped and ready to cook. Typically before breakfast or right after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships