Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times

Advertisements

That's it....you are not a robot that has buttons people can push....
Like I hear in this Non-romantic Section so much.

You have so much power that if you focused you would be like a laser.

Someone can scream 4 inches from your face and fire you...and still you can walk away
feeling fine....come on, guys!

Relationships are inevitable on earth...learn no one controls 'you'...and your feelings.
There , thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 PM

404 posts, read 386,308 times
Great post.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,839,190 times
Someone can scream 4 inches from your face ...

Yup. When I had a boss do that one time (for something that wasn't my doing) all I could think was, "i've had better." Ho-hum, are you finished yet? My utter calm completely took the wind out of his sails in a hurry.

We can choose how to think/act/react/feel. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:15 AM

165 posts, read 194,637 times
If someone pushes your buttons and you react strongly, you can learn about yourself that way. If we find someone "makes" us feel a certain way, we learn about ourselves. Not all negative emotions should be put to the side so easily.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,070,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojobojo View Post
If someone pushes your buttons and you react strongly, you can learn about yourself that way. If we find someone "makes" us feel a certain way, we learn about ourselves. Not all negative emotions should be put to the side so easily.
I agree. However, the way criticism is presented is the key.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,431,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's it....you are not a robot that has buttons people can push....
Like I hear in this Non-romantic Section so much.

You have so much power that if you focused you would be like a laser.

Someone can scream 4 inches from your face and fire you...and still you can walk away
feeling fine....come on, guys!
I disagree I think people can make you feel all kinds of things. You are not in full control of your feelings or when they arise or which ones arise.

What we are in control of is what we do with them. Someone can make you feel anger - humiliated - and hatred - and it is at that point you choose to "walk away".

But you appear to mistake being in control of what you do with your feelings - with being in control OF those feelings. I do not think this is true at all. Just like one can not simply choose to fall in or out of love with someone. Would that we could - it would erase over night the world wide agony of unrequited love.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,905,117 times
You can't control how you feel, you can control how you react to your feelings. Psych 101. (eta, most of the time. People with specific mental health problems or people without the tools to cope will react instinctively. the goal in therapy, often, is to learn skills to control the knee jerk reactions to intense feelings)

If you try to control your feelings, you can end up with a host of mental health problems. Feelings are not facts. They are to be observed before making a decision on how to react. Mindfulness is the practice of observing your feelings in order to gain a deeper understanding of yourself, and a compassionate one at that.

I think instead of posting lessons and lectures, its important to realize that *most people* are doing the best they can at the time with the tools they have.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
I think there's a bit of truth to both positions. We can't ALWAYS control our feelings - but we can learn to control some of them. We can learn to control our responses as well. The funny thing is, when we learn to control our responses, sometimes we realize that lo and behold, we're not in the grips of uncontrolled emotions either!

Sort of like the simplistic but very true example of smiling when we don't feel like smiling - not when we're in the grips of grief, but just in our daily lives. It takes more effort at first, and then a bit less, and then one day we realize that we're not having to try so hard to smile - and then one day we realize that the smile is coming from our heart. Did we control our emotions or not?

I think that people only have as much control over us as we give them, generally speaking. I also think we can allow ourselves to get all worked up sometimes unnecessarily. For instance, I think back on the ONE time my boss yelled at me. Yes, my initial reaction was shock and anger and frustration. But I managed to control that initial response and when he was finished, I was able to calmly tell him that I was going home immediately (it was only about 2 in the afternoon) and that if that made him angry, then did I need to bother coming back Monday? If not, I'd just get my things right now and I'd have another job by Monday afternoon. (For the record, his position was unreasonable. If I'd actually been in the wrong - which I am sometimes of course -I wouldn't have been so ready to walk out the door because I would have owed him the effort to correct myself.)

If I'd chosen to yell back, or cry (which I wanted to do because I cry when I get really mad - LOL), or argue, I'd have gotten myself all worked up. But I managed to control my feelings and maintain my dignity and my inner calm.

And he apologized within the hour (he had to call me at home though because I was already gone - I am not going to put up with anyone yelling at me). If I'd let him get away with it, he might have done it again. As it was, we enjoyed working together for many more years and I still consider him a very good friend. But he can and will intimidate people if they let him. I just don't let him.

He flustered me but I didn't let myself get too rattled. I felt emotion, but I also controlled that emotion. So I think it works both ways.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Someone can scream 4 inches from your face ...

Yup. When I had a boss do that one time (for something that wasn't my doing)
all I could think was, "i've had better." Ho-hum, are you finished yet?
My utter calm completely took the wind out of his sails in a hurry.

We can choose how to think/act/react/feel. Thanks for the reminder.
YES!!! A 1000 xs, yes.

I just want people to realize their own deep happiness and 'stop letting
others upset you so much'.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I disagree...
You are not in full control of your feelings ...

Someone can make you feel anger - humiliated - and hatred - ...

But you appear to mistake being in control of what you do with your
feelings - with being in control OF those feelings.
I do not think this is true at all.
And so it is and will be for you. People will continue to 'make' feelings arise in you.
Not so with me.

I can still get a small blip on my screen of, say, embarrassment, aggravation...but it lasts 1.5 seconds...
instead of 3 weeks of ruminating on it making it a huge deal.
This, I could have said in my first post.

We are human, we have past issues that trigger us, sure...but these triggers can be understood...
so when someone does 'something' that bugs us, we can calmly see
it for what it is...our issue and they have
really done nothing 'wrong'...so why be upset.... figure out our stuff and we're on our way
mastering our emotions that we often follow like a leaf blowing in the wind...we can be
cool, calm and collected inside and out, really...
With deliberate effort and practice.

But, if one doesn't believe that ...then the opposite will prove true to them.
What we think we can not do...we can not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships