Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 11:17 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times

Advertisements

My son has all of my passwords, etc, and will let y'all know when I kick the proverbial bucket.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
My son has all of my passwords, etc, and will let y'all know when I kick the proverbial bucket.

Maybe there needs to be an app for this...

Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
I miss Kevxu who I think moved to Portugal in his elder years. Another poster wanted me to visit him when I was there, but Covid had just started and I didn't know him. I did hear he got fed up with the unrelenting politics seeping into everything.

Forgot about Birdie, yes....haven't "seen" her for awhile.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:30 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I've been reading through an old regular member's posts as I thought that person's contributions were interesting and I agreed with a lot of what that person said. That person posted on almost a daily basis, often making several posts per day. That person hasn't posted in about a decade though, and the "last activity" was just a couple of days after the last post.

It makes me wonder if that member went to a nursing home, died, or just suddenly lost interest in the forum. It's kind of strange.

I believe that some members are called eternal members if a family member or someone informs the mods that the person has died but I imagine many people who post here just do it on their own without their families knowing about it, so when something happens to them it is just an abrupt stop.

It's kind of creepy thinking about it.
It happens. There was a regular in the politics forum that went poof all of the sudden during Covid. Given they were older it's almost certain they had a sudden health issue and passed.

One of of my favorites is alive but got fed up with some of the *awful* posters in politics and basically trolled their way to a ban in a blaze of glory. I did that myself once in another forum 20 years ago or so, it was funny. They still come around once in a while with a similar user name. I wish they'd just used the ignore feature more, we have some racists on that forum that are scum but just sneaky enough to make it implied but not blatant.

Lastly, I see new poster names pop up here with long posting histories so clearly they changed their posting name. Not sure how often that happens.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I used to be pretty active on Facebook but not anymore. I guess the same could happen on forums.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:07 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
There are two posters who would start the same threads time and again under a multitude of readily identifiable usernames. Each one would always be shut down by the mods.

One was an older, well-off widow who dated a series of losers that her daughter hated, but she wouldn't kick them to the curb seemingly out of fear of being alone at her age. Her usernames always had an alliterative quality with a Dear Abby vibe to them. I don't worry about her as I think that she was as much bored as anything else.

The other is some dude who was obsessed with Amy Brenneman, exclusive lingerie, and PDA (among other things). His usernames always referenced classic film, television and/or actors or obscure political figures. It's been about a month or so since he's posted (he used to post several times a week; sometimes several times in one day--all under different names), so I hope that he's finally getting the help that he truly needs and didn't do something drastic and horrifying to himself.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:00 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What about that fortysomething guy who was a night owl living in DFW who wanted to find love but had problems meeting a woman who wanted to deal with his avoidance of sun? His threads were always so interesting, like advice on how to spruce up his yard. Did he ever find anyone?

Wow, there is an episode of the Amazon Modern Love series (season 2) that deals with that very issue, except it's the woman who avoids daytime.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:07 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
There are two posters who would start the same threads time and again under a multitude of readily identifiable usernames. Each one would always be shut down by the mods.

One was an older, well-off widow who dated a series of losers that her daughter hated, but she wouldn't kick them to the curb seemingly out of fear of being alone at her age. Her usernames always had an alliterative quality with a Dear Abby vibe to them. I don't worry about her as I think that she was as much bored as anything else.

The other is some dude who was obsessed with Amy Brenneman, exclusive lingerie, and PDA (among other things). His usernames always referenced classic film, television and/or actors or obscure political figures. It's been about a month or so since he's posted (he used to post several times a week; sometimes several times in one day--all under different names), so I hope that he's finally getting the help that he truly needs and didn't do something drastic and horrifying to himself.

I forget...was it you that Kissless Virgin was obsessed with?

Old 09-13-2021, 04:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
A few I've wondered about have been mentioned in this thread.

Lowonluck has always been fairly sporadic in her posting. She pops up when the newest, biggest drama with her love life is too much. I suspect she just needs to vent as her posts tend to be the same thing with a slightly different twist.

There are a few posters from the IN forum that just disappeared. The former mod is one. It seems like she popped in for a single post sometime in the past year and then was gone again. I didn't post for about a year--too much going on in my personal life. I think she was gone when I returned.

A regular poster that is always able to honestly provide answers and insights into Indianapolis has been far less active. She still posts occasionally. Then there was the kid, and he really was a late teen when he started posting, that was a huge Indy fan boy. He saw no faults with Indy or the entire state except the part adjacent to Chicago. He's often go into the IL forum and tell people they should move to Indiana. He was banned a few times, but tried changing his name. His writing style and arguments were distinct enough that he was immediately caught. At some point he was doxxed. I honestly was never sorry to see him go. His opinions were immature and added little/no value.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:40 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
How can you tell that? I just see "Not a member," which it also says when people get banned. So I wouldn't know how to check to see if they just left of their own accord.
Didn't Birdie Belle go by a name something like "Williamsoncounty", then changed to Birdie Belle?

You are correct that when someone is listed as "not a member" it's because they've been banned. Most people who just get tired of posting, just leave their accounts alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships