Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM

532 posts, read 958,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I will tell you that work friends are work acquaintances only. Once work is no longer in common, there is little if any friend to it, just someone you used to know. Where you retired or were fired makes no difference.
Not always. My 2 best friends I met through work -- one 30 years ago and the other 17 years, both friendships are still strong.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I will tell you that work friends are work acquaintances only. Once work is no longer in common, there is little if any friend to it, just someone you used to know. Where you retired or were fired makes no difference.
I had two extremely close friends at work for over 25 years. Then I retired, one friend I still see on a fairly regular basis and the other friend never even once found the time to meet me for coffee or see me again after we both retired several years ago. The second friend was someone who I had lunch with on a daily basis for almost ten years. I am still a little hurt as I really thought that we were more than just "work friends".

Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Thinker View Post

Do you think it has something to do with getting into a fight with my boss who was destroying the company, and then getting fired?
That is possible.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I have never contacted an ex coworker or had one contact me. What is the point? The thing you had in common is over.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
I lost my job recently and have lots of time on my hands. I want to stay in touch with my friends from my old job but while they were so friendly to me while I was there, now they won't have anything to do with me. Some come up with excuses why they can't see me, while others are just plain rude and cold.

Do you think it has something to do with getting into a fight with my boss who was destroying the company, and then getting fired? Maybe if the word gets out that they are still friends with me they will be fired too.

What is your experience with old work friends after being laid off or fired?
How long did you work there?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 PM

366 posts, read 432,791 times
Those are usually what is referred to as fair weather "friends". They are always around when you are employed and things are going great. The minute you run into misfortune or like you, lose your job....they are nowhere to be found.

It could be that your old work "friends" feel that they may be placing THEIR job in jeopardy if they continue contact. Yes, it is unfair, but some people's way of thinking just goes in that direction.

This is one of the reasons that I tend to keep coworkers at arms length and keep our relationship professional. Often times when the job goes away....so do the coworkers you bonded with. I formed what I thought was a solid and strong friendship with a couple of people from an old job I had.....but they disappeared when I left. I guess I am just jaded that way.

I think in my whole life, maybe one or two former coworkers from jobs I have quit...have emailed or messaged me on Facebook to ask how things are going.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
They were never your friends......

Old 12-20-2014, 04:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
I lost my job recently and have lots of time on my hands. I want to stay in touch with my friends from my old job but while they were so friendly to me while I was there, now they won't have anything to do with me. Some come up with excuses why they can't see me, while others are just plain rude and cold.

Do you think it has something to do with getting into a fight with my boss who was destroying the company, and then getting fired? Maybe if the word gets out that they are still friends with me they will be fired too.

What is your experience with old work friends after being laid off or fired?
They weren't really your friends. Find new ones.

[and think no more of it]

Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,922 times
Companies are cults now. There really is no in-between. I wonder if it's always been this way.

I have asked this question before to some people from the older generation. They've told me that in mid-to-late 90's something happened with large corporations going for some sort of "herd mentality", which trickled down to smaller, and now dominates just about every business in the US.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:34 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
I try to keep my personal & work life separate. Your coworkers are obligated to be good to you but real friends tell it like it is & stay with you no matter what. Maybe you misunderstood their politeness for friendship. If i leave my job i would just stick them in my linkedin contact list at best & move on. I suggest you do the same. Find friends outside work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships