Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,023,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
So why did he say that immediately afterheoffere the Christmas gift from me.

When Ihelped out at the restaurant, immediately after he said lets get dinner sometime.

He never goes around just saying that stuff to me except on those rare occasions. Other than those times he never made such statements.
He said it because he was caught short by not having a gift in return, NOT because he wanted to reciprocate.
He was being kind, not sincere. That's your clue to back off.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM

221 posts, read 425,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
He said it because he was caught short by not having a gift in return, NOT because he wanted to reciprocate.
He was being kind, not sincere. That's your clue to back off.
Okay makes sense maybe that was totally the case. It seems highly likely.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
OP...you do seem to read a lot into very small things and over think other people's motives a lot. Asking us a lot of questions we can't fully answer but can at least guess on...and it seems like your CD peeps are right. Soooo...maybe we CD peeps are right about your over thinking these things.

My question...do these questions you ask us take up a lot of space in your head? Do you feel like it impacts your life?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,525,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
OP...you do seem to read a lot into very small things and over think other people's motives a lot. Asking us a lot of questions we can't fully answer but can at least guess on...and it seems like your CD peeps are right. Soooo...maybe we CD peeps are right about your over thinking these things.

My question...do these questions you ask us take up a lot of space in your head? Do you feel like it impacts your life?
Maybe the OP needs something to occupy his mind and time so he doesn't dwell on all of this minutia. A job or hobby perhaps?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Why does this matter? You go to dinner, you get out your wallet when the bill comes. If he wants to pay, he'll offer to at that point.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,263,898 times
Quote:
So why did he say that immediately afterheoffere the Christmas gift from me.

When Ihelped out at the restaurant, immediately after he said lets get dinner sometime.

He never goes around just saying that stuff to me except on those rare occasions. Other than those times he never made such statements.
He says it to you, to shirk any question of you being rewarded in a tangible sense.

He KNOWS how desperate you are for lunch, so can get you do to all manner of tasks with the mere promise.

He's using you, in short.

And why not? If I could get my restaurant staffed by a quick off the shoulder tenth-of-never promise, I would too!

Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 PM

221 posts, read 425,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
He says it to you, to shirk any question of you being rewarded in a tangible sense.

He KNOWS how desperate you are for lunch, so can get you do to all manner of tasks with the mere promise.

He's using you, in short.

And why not? If I could get my restaurant staffed by a quick off the shoulder tenth-of-never promise, I would too!
How's he using me?

He never asked me for the Christmas gift.

He never told me that I needed to come and help him at the family restaraunt.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,263,898 times
Quote:
How's he using me?

He never asked me for the Christmas gift.

He never told me that I needed to come and help him at the family restaraunt.
He hasn't given you the promised payback though has he?

So all this traffic has been one way.

You>>him

not

him>>>you

which is what you crave.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:27 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Doubtful. My friend suggested we meet for lunch to celebrate my birthday and she also picked the restaurant. When the check came she immediately did the math and presented me with what my share came to.
Hell, I was seeing someone (years ago) who asked me to drive to his neighborhood to go to a particular spot he wanted to share with me. I gave in...we went, ate, then he told me what my share was, which I did not expect. We talked in his car - and he said "I DON'T do the ROMANTIC thing". I told him, it was not being "romantic", but sounded as if he was inviting me to enjoy a restaurant he liked, with him.

You know, I otherwise had dates with those I was getting to know or also when meeting some blind dates I had conversed with prior (Before Internet dating). Never did I pay for anything, even when I offered to split it, and even if either of us felt we didn't necessarily "click". They were all gentlemanly (except one I recall), but I realize it was a different time. I don't know what it is like, these days or what the standard is. Even female friends who offered to take me out for something or wanted to meet for Happy Hour, would cover it or say "Oh, you can just pay the tip".

I have not read all posts yet and do not have a real answer for the OP, but maybe it depends upon what the person asking is thinking.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,692,777 times
Quote:
I ver been telling this friend of mine that we should get lunch sometime. He's been busy these past few weeks but finally we set up a time for Wednesday at 12:30. He didn't aske me where I wanted to eat. He just picked the restaurant and said let meet there for lunch.

Does that mean or imply that he wants to cover the tab since he picked the restaurant?

We are both straight males meeting up for lunch.
After re-reading this, I think since you have been trying to arrange something, he does not expect to be paying for you both and you will each pay for your own meal. Again, it may depend upon what he feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships