Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you find it odd if a complete stranger came up and touched you on the shoulder asking if every
Yes 49 51.04%
No 47 48.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:34 AM

8 posts, read 6,060 times

Advertisements

I would actually love that, and, depending on the day, I might actually start crying.
So few people show any kind of sympathy or empathy towards others that I believe we're actually starved for it, even if we don't realize it.
Plus there are so many people with anxiety and depression now that, that small gesture might actually save their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:37 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I don't think it's all that strange. Something similar has happened to me a couple of times. Usually, it's followed by this question: "Have you met Jesus?"

Old 09-20-2015, 06:48 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Ottawa.

Yes, I would also be expecting the "Have you been saved " line ?

Religionists seem to be taught that those who are having trouble are easier to exploit, than those who are on a even keel and happy. I call it, "taking advantage of the sad situation " when the person's emotions are in turmoil.

Do I have no use for religion, yes. I support freedom FROM religion.

Jim B.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 AM

551 posts, read 583,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I don't think it's all that strange. Something similar has happened to me a couple of times. Usually, it's followed by this question: "Have you met Jesus?"
LOL!

I actually would be touched by compassion of a complete stranger. I don't know that I'd had the nerve to do it myself, if I were to come across someone who looked emotionally distressed. Physically, yes of course (fallen over, stuck, etc) OR if the person in question were a child, definitely.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Without putting the question in perspective, the answer is, "yes," "no," or "maybe" What is the rest of the story?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I think most people are kind so I would not be offended by a stranger asking me if I was ok. My response would likely be "I'm fine, thank you, and how are you today?"

You never know, maybe that person needs a little kindness

Old 09-20-2015, 07:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I work in a library. Sometimes we get people in who are in need of refuge of one sort or another. 99% of the time we give people space and mind our own business, but on occasion we see someone who is in distress and we offer assistance. Usually when that happens we'll ask a co-worker just to get a second opinion before we approach.

This summer I saw a teenage girl sitting on the curb out front sobbing her eyes out. It was 100 degrees outside and she was in jeans and a hoodie. I went out and convinced her to come in to the AC and get a drink. She mooned around the library for a few hours and refused all other attempts at conversation and assistance. But when she left, she came and shyly said goodbye which I assumed was a thank you.

Personally, if i am in public and see someone who is all alone and in obvious distress, I will go offer assistance. I have appreciated times when someone did that for me (even if my distress was not that severe and I didn't really need help) Why would you be combative with someone who just wanted to help? Even if I suspected they had an ulterior motive, I would not generally find a reason to be impolite about it.

That's just the kind of world I want to live in.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:13 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I wouldn't like the touching part, but if I were obviously distressed I would appreciate someone asking at a non threatening distance.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
If you were sitting down by yourself, would you find it odd if a complete stranger came up, tapped you on the shoulder, and asked if everything was OK?

Would you find it odd if a complete stranger came up and touched you on the shoulder asking if everything was OK?
I would feel like I'm being setup for a con.

Actually, this very question, to me, implies you are seeing how this con would work. You may or may not be, but that's how I would assess that kind of situation.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I cannot answer the question without knowing if you appeared distressed. Let's say you are a person sitting on a park bench, crying. I am an older woman, with strong mothering instincts, so if I walked by and saw you, I would probably sit down and ask if you were OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships