Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you find it odd if a complete stranger came up and touched you on the shoulder asking if every
Yes 49 51.04%
No 47 48.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times

Advertisements

I'm in strong agreement with Miss Blue and Stagemomma.
People need to care for each other more, but of course I'd have my guard up too.
Also think this kind of thing happens more in the south because of our nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Depends on how I'm acting, I suppose.

If I am just sitting there minding my own business reading a book or something, yes...that would be strange.

If I am crying...well, hell...it makes sense.

I am a little alarmed by the rude, violent reactions others would have to a concerned inquiry.

I think the world needs more basic human kindness. It's a sad surrender that society reacts with paranoia and fear over it. I guess it's a rare thing these days. This homeless guy that I see on the bike trail was sitting out side this restaurant I was going into for a bite. I stopped and asked him if he was hungry. I didn't touch him, but he looked shocked that a stranger would come up and ask him if he needed a bite to eat. I would never give him money out right but I would feed him. He lives on the bike trail where I ride a lot. I think I'll drop off some blankets for him soon.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
I wouldn't touch anyone without their consent but I might say "I hope I'm not intruding, but I noticed [insert behavior], is there anything I might do to help?"

I saw a woman crying at the airport, quietly, in a corner. I approached her this way and she said "I'm on my way to Germany, my son passed away and I left home so quickly I don't have my charger. I'm hoping to go on the next flight so can't leave the boarding area and can't connect with my family to keep them posted."

Of course I gave her my charger to use and take with her, as well as getting her permission to talk to the airline. I went to the counter and they were able to find her a seat as well as arranging airport lounge access for her at Heathrow for a layover she would have (I don't know if being a frequent flier with them made a difference - frankly I'm a little surprised the airline didn't see if she was okay.

Sometimes our advocacy skills plummet when we're under stress.

The thing about this, I hope I made the worst day of her life just a little less horrible, but it also made me feel so grateful for my life and it's nice to feel nice to people. We've kind of lost that with our personal bubbles.

(Mind you I'm always the person offering to take photos of couples on holiday when one is taking a picture of the other .

Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
You must have RBF (resting b*tch face) syndrome. People sometimes ask me, "Are you okay?" LOL. Americans are supposed to be constantly smiling... Get with the program!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yes, and honestly I would very rudely tell them to mind their own business.
If I was kind enough to be concerned, and you were rude enough to answer in that way, I'd wish you the best and would take your reply as a sign that you are a troubled person needing some guidance in compassion.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I wouldn't touch anyone without their consent but I might say "I hope I'm not intruding, but I noticed [insert behavior], is there anything I might do to help?"

I saw a woman crying at the airport, quietly, in a corner. I approached her this way and she said "I'm on my way to Germany, my son passed away and I left home so quickly I don't have my charger. I'm hoping to go on the next flight so can't leave the boarding area and can't connect with my family to keep them posted."

Of course I gave her my charger to use and take with her, as well as getting her permission to talk to the airline. I went to the counter and they were able to find her a seat as well as arranging airport lounge access for her at Heathrow for a layover she would have (I don't know if being a frequent flier with them made a difference - frankly I'm a little surprised the airline didn't see if she was okay.

Sometimes our advocacy skills plummet when we're under stress.

The thing about this, I hope I made the worst day of her life just a little less horrible, but it also made me feel so grateful for my life and it's nice to feel nice to people. We've kind of lost that with our personal bubbles.

(Mind you I'm always the person offering to take photos of couples on holiday when one is taking a picture of the other .
I'm very proud of you for taking the time out to be compassionate to her. I'm sure she thanked you, as do I - that was very kind of you... God has a special place for those of you with such love for a stranger.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'm very proud of you for taking the time out to be compassionate to her. I'm sure she thanked you, as do I - that was very kind of you... God has a special place for those of you with such love for a stranger.
Thanks Tumf, I would actually find it more surprising if others didn't... To be fair, my example was someone who was visibly upset, not quietly pondering. I think being female makes a slight difference to some folks too - many women have become conditioned to be a little more skeptical about men approaching us.

I know that being able to be nice to someone made me feel way better than the cost of a charger, so it's a little selfish too.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Finally, some heart warming stories...too many to comment on ...you
know who u are!
Thank you...and repped you all!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:43 AM

I guess I'm just one of those softy kind of guys... Heck, I even cry when something bothers me... And I'm a strong guy - but I'm also very sensitive to things that happen to others. I'm compassionate to those that suffer, and I am not afraid to say it.

Miss Hepbrun: I wish like all I can for you to hear me... When Catherine Hepburn was on Phil Donahue, she made a comment (she was facing Alzheimer's pretty bad) and said, 'You're not Phil Donahue' and I can imitate that pretty well... I'm betting if you heard me say that, you'd be laughing as much as I am thinking about it....

Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Guess I misunderstood the OP's question (that's what I get for not reading the entire thread). Of course if you're weeping, gnashing teeth, rending clothing, and generally having a nervous breakdown in public, one would hope someone would ask if something's wrong... I thought it meant if you're just sitting there minding your own business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships