Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,169,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoongi_Rock_Life View Post
Okay, so for me I just turned 16 and the thing is, my mom just came back from work, and was clearly stressed out. Me and my sister didnt feel like cleaning today so we just did our own thing. (Cause we're lazy) And once she noticed we didnt clean, she got really upset and she forced me to start sweeping. She walked around the livingroom and saw my shoes on the floor and she told me to go put my shoes away while she took the couch out. So I wanted to put my shoes under my bed, but my grandma said to put them in the box(since they're new). So while was looking for the box, she started screaming for me to go help her with the couch, and I was trying to put the shoes away. Once she found me she told me to go help her put the couch out and I say "Okay mommy, wait."(not harshly lol) but then a few seconds later she gripped onto the back of my shirt(and hit my back too, cause I have a bruise now) and started hitting me, so I hit her back(mind you she's REALLY strong btw compared to me) I started screaming and telling her to stop hitting me and stuff. Once she stopped she asked "Whats wrong with you?!" And I asked her the same question, then she slapped me really hard on the cheek. Then right after she told me to leave cause she didnt want to see my face. So I started crying, then about ten minutes later she came into the room that I was in and told me, " I should've kicked you out of the house..." and "You hit me...you are not considered my daughter anymore, dont you EVER ask for anything, and when you're sick don't come to me." Like I understand you getting upset about me not cleaning, but you didn't have to hit me like that. Like, what do you want? I'm just a human being too, I can't do everything at once I'm just a child and the things you do can either have a good or bad influence on your children.
She had no rights to start getting physical with you.

If a mother is excused for having a bad day at work then I see no difference if it were a stressed-out husband that got fired from his work and he slapped his wife. No excuses for neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,169,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I grew up with old-school parents, where the thought of getting physical with my parents was forbidden; they didn't play that. While my parents weren't abusive (nor their parents), they had no problem disciplining me if needed. I asked my dad if he ever got into a fight with his parents and he said ever so candidly, "Son, if I even thought of hitting my parents, I wouldn't be your father today."
In my case, no amount of sweet talking would have gotten him to back off and stop shaking me. That's the only thing that got to ending that altercation...me fighting back.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,013,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your mom had a bad day, and she came home to chaos. I think think she feels overwhelmed and she over reacted. And I suspect you were backtalking.

You could apologize for not doing your chores. Your mom works, and then she came home and had to work some more, because her kids felt lazy that day. If you apologize, I suspect she’ll apologize or at least soften towards you.

If she frequently slaps you, or uses physical violence toward you such that you fear for yourself, then you can tell your school counselor who is a mandated reporter. Your family would probably get a visit from a social worker. This is a big deal and it could threaten your family, so do this only if you are afraid of being harmed.

Do the things that are expected of you at home. I know you’d rather not do them, but if you get them done, then you have some time later for yourself.
This is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever read on C-D.

Covering for an abusive parent and shaming the child that was beaten, sheesh. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I did that.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM

56 posts, read 67,275 times
If your parents hit you never fight back ever no matter what rather run away or dodge, that's just me also applies to any other situation where physical attack is at play.... id say

Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 PM

98 posts, read 95,622 times
If this is a real issue that you constantly deal with at home, you need to talk to your father about it. Having an abusive relationship like that with a family member, especially a parent, is just unhealthy. It can take a serious toll on both you and him physically, mentally, and emotionally. You two need to discuss your problems and figure out a way to settle your differences peacefully. Otherwise, you and anyone who’s involved can get seriously hurt. Nobody has the right to get physical with one another, and to be this way within your family is something that needs to be fixed right away before it gets worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships