Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,435,407 times

Advertisements

I think you're at the point of stepping back. You've tried to help her but there's really nothing more you can do. She needs to sink or swim on her own.

You can be available to offer advice and sympathy once in awhile, but that's it. Don't offer to be her reference, don't help her get any jobs and above all don't let her move in with you - you will most likely get burned with any of these. Don't offer any more help; be supportive if she calls and offer whatever sympathy you can muster, but don't offer anything other than sympathy and advice only if she specifically asks for it.

I know you feel a bond with her due to your shared backgrounds, but it's best if you start to distance yourself from this friend. Successful people and people who want to be successful surround themselves with other successful people; it's best for your own good to keep a distance from people like your friend who self-sabotage their own efforts to be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I think you're at the point of stepping back. You've tried to help her but there's really nothing more you can do. She needs to sink or swim on her own.

You can be available to offer advice and sympathy once in awhile, but that's it. Don't offer to be her reference, don't help her get any jobs and above all don't let her move in with you - you will most likely get burned with any of these. Don't offer any more help; be supportive if she calls and offer whatever sympathy you can muster, but don't offer anything other than sympathy and advice only if she specifically asks for it.

I know you feel a bond with her due to your shared backgrounds, but it's best if you start to distance yourself from this friend. Successful people and people who want to be successful surround themselves with other successful people; it's best for your own good to keep a distance from people like your friend who self-sabotage their own efforts to be successful.
Thank you.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 PM

7,263 posts, read 7,135,210 times
People like that will drag you down. Time for some distance. She will expect help and sympathy and give nothing positive, nor be supportive of you. Eventually she will resent your success and try to make you feel guilty.

Make some new friends.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,107,085 times
If anything, you're enabling her behavior. How can someone that age not know how to dress for an interview and get there in time?

She's a grown woman, time for her to live with the consequences of her own actions.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM

8,098 posts, read 10,139,564 times
Danger. Danger. Danger.

Friendship is a two way street. When one person starts to upset the balance, it is time to examine the nature of the friendship.

There is some good advice here. Get some distance. Create some boundaries. Do not let her move in with you. It is not an easy conversation (and is very easy to cave in to her needs), but you have to have it. Just be honest. In short, your friend is a nut case and needs more help than what you can offer. Suggest that she seek help. It is time for her to deal with reality.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 PM

102,325 posts, read 108,528,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
To be honest, I just want to hear your opinions. My heart feels heavy today.
OP, you can only help people who are helpable. She's one of those people who torpedoes opportunity, she shoots herself in the foot. The most practical advice might be to suggest she get counseling/therapy to get to the root of why she does this to herself chronically. That's all you can do. If you keep investing time and energy in this person, you'll just be spinning your wheels, and you'll get frustrated and ultimately, angry and resentful.

Sow your seeds of goodwill on fertile soil, and they'll bear fruit. You won't get the same results on toxic soil.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-11-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,694,661 times
She's not your problem. She's an adult. It's up to her to put her big girl panties on and do something with her life. If she sinks or swims, that's on her. Not you.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,831 times
Great words of wisdom offered here. I really no longer feel as sad about what she has done to herself. Thank you all.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 01-11-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,501,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
To be honest, I just want to hear your opinions. My heart feels heavy today.
It's sad. There are some people who are committed to 'slow motion train wreck' as a lifestyle choice. No one can prevent them from carrying it through.

I'm not saying you shouldn't continue to help her, but I would suggest that you arrange whatever distance you need in order to avoid going into the vortex of epic fail with her. If she does not like that, it's unfortunate, but that's how it has to be. If her life affects your life, it will impair not only your happiness, but your ability to help anyone else.

Your friend needs to grow up and learn to want what is attainable. I doubt you can teach her that. I doubt anything but life events can teach her that.

I feel for you, since I have a mother who handles life the way your friend does.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:23 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,846,625 times
You can't help her. You can say and feel fine about the fact that you tried but ultimately it's her life to live well or to fail to fulfill her potential. You relate to her having overcome difficulties but this is where you essentially part company. You are carrying on with your life, she is regressing. No one around her is fooled by her "disability" and have no patience with her antics, Like Ted Bear and kab said, these people can become a millstone around your neck if you allow it. You need to get some distance and perspective. It's sad but she's choosing her path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships