Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:15 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,197,257 times

Advertisements

It may have been the bowling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 05:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,264,897 times
Between the 2 of you, you asked 36 people to go bowling??

Old 01-17-2016, 06:04 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,091,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I would suggest joining a group or club or team. Those people will show up. For instance, if you enjoy bowling, join a league.
Very good suggestion! The key is fostering friendships with people who have common interests.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 AM

7,337 posts, read 6,962,493 times
Personally I like coffee shops where people come to relax and chat with friends and strangers, and some come to do their business on their computer and break away for chatting from time to time, it's cool.
People are busy and life is not like it was 30-40-50 years ago when there was time to go with friends on outings, family stresses and job stress has every one broken apart meeting as they can .
Wives and husbands don't get to see one another much less the kids .
Many if my friends have 2-3 part time jobs they are rushing to and have no time for friendships ,it hurts but there is nothing they can do about it .Probably why they are texting while running.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,021,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Totally agree, every time I'm out in public that's all I see, people glued to their phones with their head down.
I know. It's sad. Their phone is the friend, not people. It's also somewhat generational, I noticed. My coworkers and I went out to lunch. My boss is 57, I'm 38, and we are very close. One of our coworkers is 21, and while my boss and I were chatting over lunch she barely said a word because she was so busy looking at her phone. She only stopped to eat. My boss and I never got our phones out of our purses.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Personally I like coffee shops where people come to relax and chat with friends and strangers, and some come to do their business on their computer and break away for chatting from time to time, it's cool.
People are busy and life is not like it was 30-40-50 years ago when there was time to go with friends on outings, family stresses and job stress has every one broken apart meeting as they can .
Wives and husbands don't get to see one another much less the kids .
Many if my friends have 2-3 part time jobs they are rushing to and have no time for friendships ,it hurts but there is nothing they can do about it .Probably why they are texting while running.

How are people more busy? What nonsense.

People aren't reading books like they used to, they don't cook meals from scratch like they used to. Tasks that used to take much longer many years ago, are done much easier now.

People used to have to go to the library and actually look up subjects in a card catalog, get the books, read them and write a term paper. Now you can find the info online in matter of minutes.

Unless someone is working 3 jobs, taking care of sick or elderly family member, has a special needs child, "busy" is just an excuse today for they don't want to be bothered.

IDK anyone who works 2 to 3 part time jobs. There may be some people who work 50 hour weeks, but that's about it, many just use "busy" as reason to not do something or get back to someone.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,470,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They probably don't consider bowling fun. I know I don't.
Yeah...but it's still a pretty cheap way to hang out...it's not so much WHAT you do with friends, it's who you're with.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 AM

12,919 posts, read 9,178,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

People aren't reading books like they used to, they don't cook meals from scratch like they used to. Tasks that used to take much longer many years ago, are done much easier now.

People used to have to go to the library and actually look up subjects in a card catalog, get the books, read them and write a term paper. Now you can find the info online in matter of minutes.

Unless someone is working 3 jobs, taking care of sick or elderly family member, has a special needs child, "busy" is just an excuse today for they don't want to be bothered.

IDK anyone who works 2 to 3 part time jobs. There may be some people who work 50 hour weeks, but that's about it, many just use "busy" as reason to not do something or get back to someone.

Most people didn't go to the library back then either. The only ones who did were kids working on term papers and elderly who weren't working looking for something to do. Everyday working folks were, uh, working.

Here's what really happens: People grow up. They get married. Have children. They work. Often OT because they have to pay for things like roof over their heads, food on the tables, children's braces, etc. Then when they get home they have to cook, clean, help with homework, attend their kid's sporting events, coach youth teams because their kid plays, lead scout groups, and finally, when all that is done, spend some time with their family. Going out and socializing just doesn't fit in the schedule. And won't until all the kids are pretty much through college and on their own.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

People have much longer commutes now. The time that used to be your time during non dirk hours has been co-opted for being always available, even though you are not at work you still need to be connected. People don't have "housewives" who take care of all the home stuff. People are staying single longer they they need to run independent homes longer. People live further from their friends and need to travel to get there. There are lots of reasons people are busier. And people are more stressed and have few windows to recharge.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:21 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Most people didn't go to the library back then either. The only ones who did were kids working on term papers and elderly who weren't working looking for something to do. Everyday working folks were, uh, working.

Here's what really happens: People grow up. They get married. Have children. They work. Often OT because they have to pay for things like roof over their heads, food on the tables, children's braces, etc. Then when they get home they have to cook, clean, help with homework, attend their kid's sporting events, coach youth teams because their kid plays, lead scout groups, and finally, when all that is done, spend some time with their family. Going out and socializing just doesn't fit in the schedule. And won't until all the kids are pretty much through college and on their own.
People used to have their kids in one or two sporting events, not five.

My point about the library was an example of how much longer it used to take to do a term paper for a college student in the 80s, as compared to today.

People always had to pay for a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Fact is a lot of people today just throw the word "busy" around when it suits them as an excuse for not bothering.

It's not just social events.

I have seen that in business situations. Busy is used when they don't follow through on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People have much longer commutes now. The time that used to be your time during non dirk hours has been co-opted for being always available, even though you are not at work you still need to be connected. People don't have "housewives" who take care of all the home stuff. People are staying single longer they they need to run independent homes longer. People live further from their friends and need to travel to get there. There are lots of reasons people are busier. And people are more stressed and have few windows to recharge.
Actually many people work remotely from home, something that used to be unheard of and very rare 20 years ago.

I know a few people whose commute is going from the bedroom to their home office down the hall. They may actually go into their actual office location once a week if that.

You honestly think people weren't sitting on freeways in the 70s? I live in CA like you but Southern CA, no one was working from home back than.

People have less manners today, and don't value other people's time.

It's also a lot easier these days with texting to blow people off. There have been comments on here even how people are supposed to meet someone and they get a text that the person isn't coming to meet them. It used to be you would actually have to call someone and maybe be put on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships