Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,977,690 times

Advertisements

[quote=seain dublin;42679790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When I was a kid, particularly in the southeast, many women didn't work, or worked low wage part time jobs. My mom didn't work more than part time till I was in high school. She was always home for PTA, Girl Scouts and parent teacher conferences. I am in my 30s]

You grew up in a lower cost of living state. It was the norm going back more than 30 years ago in the Northeast. Women got more involved in the work force since the Women's Liberation Movement which started in the early 70s.
I grew up in California as well. Few moms worked during my childhood. All of my neighbors had stay at home moms, excepted for the divorced mom! It was pretty common for middle class people in my childhood. In the southeast it expanded to the blue collar and lower middle class families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM

1,038 posts, read 905,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We have a few friends we get together with every Friday night.

I just got "The Martian" Blu-ray and suggested one friend host us at his house this coming Friday -- he has the best home theater system. I'll get a couple of Papa Murphy pizzas and maybe a dessert.

I'm thinking we should invite some of the people who used to come but have fallen away over the years. If none of them show, that's fine. We'll still have a good time.
I LOVE Matt Damon

Arguably the only actor in Hollywood who could turn The Martian not only into Watchable, but into an exciting story that makes you hang on your seat.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
[quote=jade408;42680598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I grew up in California as well. Few moms worked during my childhood. All of my neighbors had stay at home moms, excepted for the divorced mom! It was pretty common for middle class people in my childhood. In the southeast it expanded to the blue collar and lower middle class families.
That could be true, but it doesn't dispute the fact that two income households have been more the norm than the exception for decades now.

You also said people do longer commutes, I said(because it's true) many people today work from home. I know several people who do this and go into an actual office at most once a week. Just that alone saves people time, no driving or taking a train into work, they can sit in the bathrobe all day and no one know the difference.

The point of this thread was that people today have less manners and use the term "busy" as an excuse.

There really is no reason unless someone overwhelms themselves on purpose to be so busy.

As I said people read less, cook less, and tasks such as writing a term paper or you paying your bills take mush less time today.

So when most people say they're "busy", they really just don't want to be bothered.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,216,580 times
Quote:
So when most people say they're "busy", they really just don't want to be bothered.
or they just don't like you.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:52 PM

18,309 posts, read 15,834,289 times
Growing up there were 3 ways to keep in touch with people:

- See them in person
- Call them on the phone
- Write them a letter

If you wanted a social life of any kind you had to leave your home and go out. As kids we were outside whenever the weather was nice enough. Parents didn't have to hover because in many small towns kids were safe. You played outside then came home in time for dinner. In the summer, back outside until dark. There was no Internet so you were isolated if you stayed inside your house. TV was anywhere from 3 to 10 channels, not 500 channels. Movies were in theaters.

There were fewer distractions to mimic having contact with people. Remember the fun art of flirting? Try and do that now. Everyone has their nose buried in a mobile device.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:59 PM

52,392 posts, read 52,904,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

- See them in person
- Call them on the phone
- Write them a letter

If you wanted a social life of any kind you had to leave your home and go out. As kids we were outside whenever the weather was nice enough. Parents didn't have to hover because in many small towns kids were safe. You played outside then came home in time for dinner. In the summer, back outside until dark. There was no Internet so you were isolated if you stayed inside your house. TV was anywhere from 3 to 10 channels, not 500 channels. Movies were in theaters.

There were fewer distractions to mimic having contact with people. Remember the fun art of flirting? Try and do that now. Everyone has their nose buried in a mobile device.
Good post. I agree, I'll add that we had the rule that when the street lights came on you had to get your azz home.

I truly feel sorry for the last couple of generations growing up. They missed out on a lot of stuff, stuff they don't even really realize. Technology is truly a double edged sword and the results in our society are starting to show themselves. I'm not bashing young people here, if anything I'm commiserating for them.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:24 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,038,370 times
Quote:
No you can't. But see I don't keep making plans with people who flake, maybe you do.

And don't tell me you don't get annoyed, because that's not normal. While you shouldn't hold onto the anger as it does you no good, you don't sit at a restaurant waiting for someone who doesn't show and not get annoyed.

Nobody likes their time wasted or to be treated poorly.

And unless they have a very good reason like a car accident on their way to meet you, you don't give the opportunity to do it again.

As the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
I'm not talking about inviting the same people over and over only to be disappointed. I'm talking about people not responding or showing up in general.

And, no, I don't get annoyed. I get bummed when they don't show, but I get over it when I see the people who did care enough to come.

I think the only time I would get really miffed at someone is if it was a one-on-one meeting. If I were left alone to wait, I would worry at first, and then get annoyed when I found out they were just being flaky.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,069,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Social media, Internet and video games my friend. Seems people are going out less and less.
Yep. The addiction is huge. Also, no one knows how to socialize in person much anymore unless they have to at work or something. It is what it is, but bars are closing left and right and eventually, most will just have a screen in front of them at all times.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:42 PM

12,992 posts, read 9,714,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yep. The addiction is huge. Also, no one knows how to socialize in person much anymore unless they have to at work or something. It is what it is, but bars are closing left and right and eventually, most will just have a screen in front of them at all times.
It is even pretty bad at many work places these days, people with their heads buried in their smart phones or some other mobile device. Personal cell phones and other mobile devices are prohibited in our work places, but many don't pay that policy any attention at all. I see people all over the work place texting pretty much all day. This one guy can't even go home at the end of his shift because he is so into his Facebook page. He will sit there as much as 30 minutes after his shift is over texting, on Facebook, on the internet, then when he finally leaves , he will spend another 15 minutes or so in his car before he leaves.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

- See them in person
- Call them on the phone
- Write them a letter

Excellent comments. It's about distractions today, not being really being busier.

Logic tells you it takes less time to do tasks today. So people would have more free time if they could stop looking down at their phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships