Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,707,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How are people more busy? What nonsense.

People aren't reading books like they used to, they don't cook meals from scratch like they used to. Tasks that used to take much longer many years ago, are done much easier now.

People used to have to go to the library and actually look up subjects in a card catalog, get the books, read them and write a term paper. Now you can find the info online in matter of minutes.

Unless someone is working 3 jobs, taking care of sick or elderly family member, has a special needs child, "busy" is just an excuse today for they don't want to be bothered.

IDK anyone who works 2 to 3 part time jobs. There may be some people who work 50 hour weeks, but that's about it, many just use "busy" as reason to not do something or get back to someone.
...your examples prove the exact opposite of what you claim. You think the fact wives used to not work and had so many spare hours that they'd cook onerous meals is proof people used to be busier? You think that people not being inundated with information 24/7 means they were busier? Huh? You sound old - aren't you busier these days than you used to be? The quality of that busyness depends on the person, of course, but I'm sure most everyone agrees there used to be a whole lot more downtime in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM

1,038 posts, read 905,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do your friends all smoke pot?
oh for goodness sake

me and my friends used to smoke TO GO BOWLING

the sitting around part came from being bored not from smoking

smoking usually preceded some wild adventure or another

or not

sometimes it resulted in a Dinner Party complete with candles and laughter and lots of friends

sometimes it resulted in zooming around the local hills in your moms car

sometimes it resulted in driving out to the beach and chilling for the afternoon

Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 905,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...your examples prove the exact opposite of what you claim. You think the fact wives used to not work and had so many spare hours that they'd cook onerous meals is proof people used to be busier? You think that people not being inundated with information 24/7 means they were busier? Huh? You sound old - aren't you busier these days than you used to be? The quality of that busyness depends on the person, of course, but I'm sure most everyone agrees there used to be a whole lot more downtime in the world.

How does one "sound" old....?

and even if a person is old, or older, doesn't mean they don't experience the wide array of human emotions like every one else.

In fact often OLD = Experienced

In every other facet of life Tried and True is preferred

Tried and True in humans = OLD.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post

Old.....LOL.

No, I'm not busier, because I don't overwhelm myself with stuff.

A lot of people today equate being "busy" with being popular or being important.

I know someone who actually ended up in the ER, they were brought in because their friend though they were having a mental breakdown, turns out it was exhaustion.

One of these types who always has to be busy, belongs to about 20 Meetup groups(I know them through the one and only Meetup group that I did).

A couple of times they had to leave the event to go to another event, I even said "it sounds like you try and do too much", they laughed. I guess it wasn't so funny when they ended up at the hospital. And this was someone in their 50s(gee how is that for old....LOL). Couldn't just do one event on a Saturday had to do two or three(in of all places Southern CA), and these events weren't even in close proximity.

I don't know about you but I'm not inundated with information 24/7. The computer goes off, the phone goes off, the TV goes off and I do something called sleeping.

You create your own universe. Yes people have to go to work, but you can also choose how busy or how calm you want your life to be in many respects.

If you're in a constant state of frenzy that's on you.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM

48,591 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Are you asking at the last minute?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM

52,392 posts, read 52,904,140 times
The older I get the less I want to do stuff with other people. I'm also getting to be more of a hermit and misanthrope, so that doesn't help that I think most people suck....LOL

That being said I'd like the bowling thing, I used to bowl a lot when I was kid. I think it would be fun to throw back a couple of beers and throw a couple of balls. I think one time I scored a 285 or something like that, just a strike or so away from a 300..... ah.. the old days.

Bowling alleys are closing like a big dawg these days, it's getting harder to find them. They used to be all of the place. Not sure why that is so, but it's definitely so, at least around here.

As to the "why" of the question I think people are just busier these days, maybe some of that busy is fake busy, but like someone else said, social media, video games and Netflix, maybe people feel less apt to go out as much, IDK.....

Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 AM

7,617 posts, read 4,192,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah...but it's still a pretty cheap way to hang out...it's not so much WHAT you do with friends, it's who you're with.
That is true. It is difficult sorting out the friends who like to spend time with each other from those who just want distraction.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 AM

48,591 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The older I get the less I want to do stuff with other people. I'm also getting to be more of a hermit and misanthrope, so that doesn't help that I think most people suck....LOL

You sound like my husband.

He mainly just socializes when I drag him with, to friends parties and (my large) family get togethers.

I have come to terms that my happy space, is really right here at home. I can basically not see anyone for weeks and it doesn't bother me. I clean, cook, do hobbies, projects..... bliss.

I do meet friends and stuff for lunch even when I really don't want to. I learned how important friends and family were when my husband died. I didn't even think I had any friends, but I had a lot. It was weird.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,389,565 times
Okay a little off track here - business trip and my coworker and I had to meet with a gentleman about a project who suggested lunch so we met him at a really nice steak house (out in the middle of nowhere on Long Island). The man was a retired vet and had scads of fascinating stories. We swapped tales over some great food and my coworker was texting and on his phone the ENTIRE time. I was embarrassed, though we pretty much ignored the bad manners. Weeks later at our work "holiday" (Christmas) party, I walked over to the coworker who was at the bar, nose in his phone, and said hello. I glanced at his phone screen and he was Skyping with a hooker/sex line/whatever. I was disgusted and figured he must be an addict if he can't get through a work Christmas party without getting online with a phone sex ho. Anyway, now he gives me the creeps. He's late 50's and married with a college age daughter.

Anyway, the constant phone thing is irritating. Of course I've been on this computer all day today. My guy went to fix one of his kids' car. But I don't even take calls when I'm socializing. Too rude.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,376,185 times
I blame social media, the Internet, Netflix, TV..... I love bowling. It's a lot of fun and brings people together. Bowling alleys aren't as popular as they were 10-20yrs. ago. Some have closed since then near where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships