Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hopefully she has not cleaned him out.
Has he checked the balance?
Can't he close the account online or by phone? Have then send the balance to the address of record (which should be his address).
He should easily be able to check the balance. He doesn't have to drive to the bank. Sheeze!

People be's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 AM

44 posts, read 42,914 times
No he hasn't check it since Dec.27. He just called and the account is not set up for phone access. Hes going to enroll in online banking.

Thanks for the tip! He'll have to call tomorrow and see if they will send his balance to his address.

Quote:
Can't he close the account online or by phone? Have then send the balance to the address of record (which should be his address).

Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 AM

Lol exactly. But he has an account with this credit union. He hasn't taken the steps to set up phone access or online access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He should easily be able to check the balance. He doesn't have to drive to the bank. Sheeze!

People be's crazy.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,379,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmover878 View Post
Hello all!

I'm needing some advice on a family situation. My brother is 26 and, against my advice, let his mom be a joint person on his bank account a few years ago. He came to me a few days ago and told me mom wouldn't allow him access to his last paycheck from his retail job. His last paycheck was around 500. The reason for my mom restricting his access was because she didn't want him to use the money to buy whatever he wanted. (My brother isn't a druggie, or alcoholic, or anything like that.) He's a good person. He attends school for his bachelors degree, is pretty much a homebody, doesn't party, doesn't date. This isn't the first time our mother has done something of this nature. Or our dad. His car recently died, the battery died and needed a jumpstart. But My parents refused to jumpstart the car. Their reason? We just moved to New England and they don't want my brother driving in the snow. (Mind you: the roads are very maintained here, the snow plows do an excellent job, and my brother has never once been in an accident or gotten tickets.)

That's all background info! The question is: how can my brother get access to his funds? The bank said he either has to give them a utility bill or a bill with his name on it or come into the branch and get the money(which is in Memphis, TN and we live in New England now). Aside from flying down there to get the money in person, what other options does my brother have?

Thanks in advance!
It's my recollection ( and I speak from experience here) that it's only a bank account in your brother's name (as an example) IN TRUST and mommy dearest has to okay it.

So this begs to question, "Why on earth would your brother open an account like this as a grown adult?" The only reason is when maybe your brother has some sort of debt..and this would make it impossible for collection of debt or ability to put a lien on this account.

I may be off base, but somehow, I don't believe you are getting the whole story ?????

Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM

That's what I'm thinking....I think she took the money. He doesn't want to accept that and thinks our mom wouldn't do that. But she tried to claim him on taxes last year, so I wouldn't put it past her. He'll have to call tomorrow because the bank is closed today for mlk day, and he hadn't set up phone access or online access, which he has to do by calling the bank.

Quote:

Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM

It's ok you're fine lol. It's a joint account, or so he was told. He's never confirmed this for himself and he won't know for sure, until the bank opens on tomorrow.

He doesn't have any debt whatsoever. No credit cards, no unpaid medical bills, no loans, etc. Like I stated in an earlier post, he just does whatever they say or recommend. I think this experience has kind of "woke" him up so to say. He's very upset but, like you said, doesn't see that as a grown adult this should have never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It's my recollection ( and I speak from experience here) that it's only a bank account in your brother's name (as an example) IN TRUST and mommy dearest has to okay it.

So this begs to question, "Why on earth would your brother open an account like this as a grown adult?" The only reason is when maybe your brother has some sort of debt..and this would make it impossible for collection of debt or ability to put a lien on this account.

I may be off base, but somehow, I don't believe you are getting the whole story ?????

Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 AM

Lol I hear you. No they aren't paying for his education. My brother is wanting to move back down south and finish his last year. I think he should--he's too codependent to stay here with my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Stay out of this. That's my advice.

But I do have a question - are your parents paying for your brother's education?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 AM

221 posts, read 203,140 times
Quote:
It's ok you're fine lol. It's a joint account, or so he was told. He's never confirmed this for himself and he won't know for sure, until the bank opens on tomorrow.

Sorry to be brutally honest, but if he doesn't even know the basic details of HIS account that HE added his mother to, then maybe it's in his best interest that his mother control his finances. That's pretty ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Lol I hear you. No they aren't paying for his education. My brother is wanting to move back down south and finish his last year. I think he should--he's too codependent to stay here with my parents.
I agree. No offense, but your brother sounds like he may actually need psychological help. If that't the case, maybe he really IS too clueless to have his own account.

Do not step in. If he's even half way normal he needs to GROW UP. He's too dependent on family - and that will include you if you're not careful.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:57 AM

It's cool, I dont mind brutal honesty

It's not like she's going to pay his bills or teach him money saving tips or whatever. She'll just spend it on herself--which she has done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Sorry to be brutally honest, but if he doesn't even know the basic details of HIS account that HE added his mother to, then maybe it's in his best interest that his mother control his finances. That's pretty ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships