Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM

44 posts, read 42,865 times

Advertisements

See this is why I came to this forum. It's hard to kind of step back and look at it from a different perspective. No offense taken, you're fine. He is pretty clueless on a lot of things. But, its not like our parents help him out either. That's my opinion. I just hate to see him live his life this way. I know like 80% is because he needs to grow up. That's why I'm all for him movig back down to our hometown, by himself, take care of himself, grow up a little, you know?

I've never stepped in or gave my two cents to him or my parents. Thanks for the reminder though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. No offense, but your brother sounds like he may actually need psychological help. If that't the case, maybe he really IS too clueless to have his own account.

Do not step in. If he's even half way normal he needs to GROW UP. He's too dependent on family - and that will include you if you're not careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A joint account does not allow one party or the other to restrict funds.
Something doesn't add up here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Sorry to be brutally honest, but if he doesn't even know the basic details of HIS account that HE added his mother to, then maybe it's in his best interest that his mother control his finances. That's pretty ridiculous.
This and this.

If it is a regular joint account, he shouldn't need her permission to take money out.

Is there something else going on with him, or is he really just codependent and immature? I never had a joint account with my parents except for the one where they saved money for college. When I was 18, they were removed from it. I was 100% responsible for making it last 4 years.

Maybe he should cut his losses and just open a new account and put his checks in there, and not even use the joint account anymore.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM

44 posts, read 42,865 times
Thanks for your advice and input

We won't know for sure, until he calls tomorrow.

No he has no mental issues lol. Just really codependent and immature.

He decided he'll just cut his losses and open up another account tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This and this.

If it is a regular joint account, he shouldn't need her permission to take money out.

Is there something else going on with him, or is he really just codependent and immature? I never had a joint account with my parents except for the one where they saved money for college. When I was 18, they were removed from it. I was 100% responsible for making it last 4 years.

Maybe he should cut his losses and just open a new account and put his checks in there, and not even use the joint account anymore.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmover878 View Post
Thanks for your advice and input

We won't know for sure, until he calls tomorrow.

No he has no mental issues lol. Just really codependent and immature.

He decided he'll just cut his losses and open up another account tomorrow.
He doesn't need to cut his losses, he can transfer the money from one bank to another. But he should really consider signing up for some basic finance courses. How does anybody reach the age of 26 without knowing how to handle stuff like this?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Instead of calling, he should just go to the bank in person with his account number and ask to withdraw his money.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Instead of calling, he should just go to the bank in person with his account number and ask to withdraw his money.
The account was opened when they lived in another state.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
The OP mentions having to fly to get there. The cost of a last-minute flight may be more than what is in the account!

Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,731 times
He should set up online access and use the money in the account to fund a new account in HIS name only.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The account was opened when they lived in another state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP mentions having to fly to get there. The cost of a last-minute flight may be more than what is in the account!
Oh. Missed that. I'm confused. How do they usually access the account? Didn't he say they don't have ATM access set up? I'll go re-read...ETA I see he has no online access. Why would you move out of state with no way to access your money?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Oh. Missed that. I'm confused. How do they usually access the account? Didn't he say they don't have ATM access set up? I'll go re-read...ETA I see he has no online access. Why would you move out of state with no way to access your money?
Yeah. Lots of holes in the story. How was the last paycheck deposited in an out of state bank to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships