Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 PM

404 posts, read 482,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Is it at all possible or will there always be animosity between the two of you ?

There is lots of hate in America for well off people due to the economic hardships this country is facing.

Don't be shy. Sound Off.

Do you hate people with money and privilege even if they are nice people and want to be your friend or does jealousy rain supreme ?

Should people with money stay with their own kind ?
Maybe. I think it depends on the people. As others wrote, if one has money and another doesn't, finding things to do together can be difficult as what one can't afford, the other can easily spend. If one is better-than-thou and/or the other is bitter and consumed with envy, it won't work. But if both are respectful of each other's economic status the friendship stands a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 04:22 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might be splitting hairs, but the things you mention do cost money, just in a different way. You can't have a pool at your home for free to have a pool party, you need equipment and club memberships for tennis and working out, you have to pay for museum memberships and admission. So it's not as if the activities you enjoy are necessarily available to everyone regardless of income.
Even my single mom friends who live paycheck to paycheck in dumpy apartments have community pools.

Many of my friends have $ but still do bodyweight workouts like Camp Gladiator or just run.

Even the crappies neighborhoods feature folks playing bball and soccer.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,060,449 times
I'm a person that values socioeconomic status very highly. You can say that I'm elitist.

In general, I only surround myself with people that are upper middle class or higher OR aspire to this goal. I cannot have deep friendships or relationships with poor people.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,698,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I'm a person that values socioeconomic status very highly. You can say that I'm elitist.

In general, I only surround myself with people that are upper middle class or higher OR aspire to this goal. I cannot have deep friendships or relationships with poor people.
You do realize that economic status may have no real relationship to "class"? For example, let's say Prince Charles was stripped of every penny he had and left with no income. I suppose you'd be too cool to be his friend?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,520,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Is it at all possible or will there always be animosity between the two of you ?

There is lots of hate in America for well off people due to the economic hardships this country is facing.

Don't be shy. Sound Off.

Do you hate people with money and privilege even if they are nice people and want to be your friend or does jealousy rain supreme ?

Should people with money stay with their own kind ?
Depends.

I know people with lots of money and people with no money and a good number of people in between. We are all friends. The ingredient that makes it work?

We are cool with each other and treat one another as people first. Those who would segregate themselves based on money based on the perception of what they think other people will think are people I wouldn't want to associate with anyway.

[real friendships aren't built on money]

Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,591,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As someone who grew up in a working-class/middle-class background. I cannot imagine relating enough to well-off people to befriend them. I know I'm surrounded by well off people in Washington DC but I can't really think of very many of those people I'd actually be interested in building a friendship with.
No problem. But, it could in some cases be counted as your loss.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,452,903 times
I just wanted to thank everybody again for posting their opinions. I have dealt with this issue for a while now so it was interesting to get other people's feedback.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,025,917 times
What is money has to do with this? I am not looking at pockets but hearts qualities integrity.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,862,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No problem. But, it could in some cases be counted as your loss.
Knowing a lot of the personalities who have money here in DC, don't think I'm losing much.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM

231 posts, read 202,873 times
Yes, poor people can be friends with rich people.

But rich people may feel like they're being taken advantage of if you ask for favors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships