Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

I just don't think it's that big a deal.

I hang out with people who share common interests with me.

I probably wouldn't go on vacation with people whose disposable income was markedly different from my own, because we'd probably end up wanting to do different things. But I can certainly be in their book club, volunteer with them, go to lunch with them, etc. without any awkwardness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just don't think it's that big a deal.

I hang out with people who share common interests with me.

I probably wouldn't go on vacation with people whose disposable income was markedly different from my own, because we'd probably end up wanting to do different things. But I can certainly be in their book club, volunteer with them, go to lunch with them, etc. without any awkwardness.

I completely agree with KathrynAragon (as usual).

I think there were two ways of looking at this thread. I looked at it one way, "friends" as in the full complete sense of the word & relationship, such as going on vacations together, spending a lot of time together, doing a wide variety of activities, being involved with each other families, etc. and doing this for decades. Perhaps, what some people would consider "best friends".

Someone, who if my brother needed a ride to the airport and I could not do it, they would immediately offer to drive him there. Or if their mom was in the hospital, I would drop everything to go visit her with a huge bouquet of flowers & her favorite chocolates.

Whereas others, interpreted it a different way, such as "friends" sharing a hobby or a sport or a favorite activity. What some people would consider "friends" and others would consider more like "buddies" , much more than acquaintances but far less than "besties" or BFFs. IMHO, the amount of money that people have or earn probably matters very little in things like book clubs, or summer baseball teams, or various hobby clubs, or spending time with others who own the same breed of dog or things like that.

I am sorry, I did not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. If I came across as rude, it was certainly not my intent. I have been under a lot of stress recently and C-D is my one escape from the reality of my life.

To me a friend is someone who I know their immediate family, and yes, I would drop everything and visit their mom in the hospital and yes, I would know her favorite flowers and her favorite chocolates. But, I have never even met any of the moms of the people in my book club or of fellow team members in a summer sports team, and I certainly would not know what type of flowers or chocolate they like.

I think that some of the misunderstandings and disagreements on this thread came from how various posters defined "friends" as well as how various posters defined "people with money" vs. "people who don't have money".

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-30-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I'm weird.
I don't want to vacation with any of my friends.

I want to go with my family.

Period.

Full stop.

Ever.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm weird.

Period.

Full stop.

Ever.

I don't think that you are weird. Some people do a lot of vacationing with friends, some people occasionally vacation with friends, and other people never, ever vacation with friends.

I know some singles & couples that frequently vacationed with friends when they were in their 20s and early 30s but once they had children stopped doing that. I know a few people who even after they had kids vacationed with friends. And, I know a few empty nesters, who once their children were gone, started to once again travel with friends.

I know several people who have annual "girl's week/weekend" or "boy's week/weekend" with same sex friends. I know one man who has done this with his high school friends every year for almost 40 years. And, a former co-worker spends one week a year vacationing in a different city with her former sorority sisters for over 40 years. Another group of former co-workers have taken a week to two week long vacation together almost every year for decades.

Everyone is different.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I don't think so , no . when I was in high school I had a group of friends and they were quite well off and my mother drove me to one of their houses once and she said to me " these are not your kind of people and you have nothing in common with them other than school and I don't think you should socialize with them and I don't want you too " . So in my mind my mother was telling me that those people were better than me and I have always grown up with that in my head . I never hung around with them after that . Before my mother put the kibosh on my friendships with them I never thought about it . I often wonder if the shoe were on the other foot if one of them thought the same thing .

Wow, how incredibly sad.

Your mother could have said "people who apply themselves in life end up with houses like this, pay attention", instead of telling you that you have nothing in common with them.

It amazes me the number some people do on their children in the self esteem dept.

I notice in many interviews of famous people when they talk about childhoods a common trait seems to be parents who told them they could be whatever they wanted to be and to pursue their dreams.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Is it at all possible or will there always be animosity between the two of you ?

There is lots of hate in America for well off people due to the economic hardships this country is facing.

Don't be shy. Sound Off.

Do you hate people with money and privilege even if they are nice people and want to be your friend or does jealousy rain supreme ?

Should people with money stay with their own kind ?
Of course it's possible! How you see and treat others is most important. If you have money and use it to show up/show off then that's going to be noticed in a negative way. However, even if you're the most down to earth person, some people will get jealous and be insecure, but you can't control others' feelings.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I have friends in all economic walks of life and of different ethnic groups as well. Money is irrelevant. I swear I dream of winning a big lottery so that I could help all of my friends. We have more then enough to meet our needs, a lot of our friends don't. I don't feel any resentment from my friends who are not as well off as we are, nor do I feel any resentment for our friends that live in a million dollar home. We all know how hard we've worked for what we have.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,658,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have friends in all economic walks of life and of different ethnic groups as well. Money is irrelevant. I swear I dream of winning a big lottery so that I could help all of my friends. We have more then enough to meet our needs, a lot of our friends don't. I don't feel any resentment from my friends who are not as well off as we are, nor do I feel any resentment for our friends that live in a million dollar home. We all know how hard we've worked for what we have.
100% agree...I remember my grandma saying there will always be prettier and richer girls...be happy with what you have!!!

Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
If I were the rich one, I would choose people who I wanted to be with, and hope that they would just accept my invitation to be with me without worrying about paying me back.
The people who I wanted to be with would want to pay me back by inviting me to eat hot dogs in their back yard, which would be gratefully welcome
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would not tell anyone. I would fund my children and grandchildren, in a structured, performance oriented way, and then give away the rest to provide help to those who have no voice or control.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm weird.

Period.

Full stop.

Ever.
Amen and amen. Except for the very occasional "girl vacation." But basically when we go on a big vacation, I just want to go with my immediate family.

Heck, I don't even want to go with my inlaws. Or my parents. Just husband, kids, grandkids - that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships