Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 01:02 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,403,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I could never betray my family like that they depend on new but I still wish my sister would get rid of him
But they are betraying you by treating you like this.
They are not going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I guess there arent a way to fix my problem besides me moving out but thats not a option. I guess I just wanted to vent since I just feel so angry right now
There are ways to fix your problem. I think it would be a healthy choice for you to make a plan for the future. If nothing else call a help line and possibly they can give you some recommendations and lead you to some good resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,118,026 times
Upsadaisy,

Others have offered you a lot of really good advice. I have nothing to add to it, other than to reiterate that it's hard for you to step back from your current situation and see the big picture, and imagine your long term future. Becuase you're young and you've been traumatized. A message board full of strangers can tell you are intelligent, articulate, compassionate and kind. You deserve so much better. But you are the only one who can make that happen.

Your story breaks my heart. I wish I could do something for you, and give you a big hug. You deserve better than this. I hope you continue to update and come here for support. Your family wants you to think you're worthless and crazy so that you'll be too broken and depressed to ever leave them. They are wrong. You know that. You are not worthless or crazy. We all know it too.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If you leave they will HAVE to take care of the kids. Who takes care of them while you are working? Your mother will have to sober up, and your sister and her husband will have to get off their butts. And if they don't, then the children will be better off in foster care until you can offer them a home.

Think of the alternative. If you do nothing more than maintaining the current status quo, in 10 years, what will be different? Your sister will have more children. Your siblings will still have a drunk mother, and you will still be no more in a position to offer them a better future than you are in now.

Your sister and your mother do not have to lose their children. That is up to them. They can agree to supervision by CPS while they clean up their acts.

Excellent post.

Another thing to think about is that reports to CPS are confidential. After having serious concerns about a neighbor I reported what I had seen and heard a few months ago to CPS. The children were not removed from the home but the family is obviously getting some type of help and it is working as I do not hear the parents screaming and cursing at their children anymore and then the children screaming & crying (presumable after being hit) and other disturbing things that I had heard or observed have stopped or greatly decreased.

Although, I had not discussed this with anyone else, from comments that I have overheard or that were said to me, I believe that at least two other neighbors had also reported them to CPS. So Upsdaisy, unless your family lives where no neighbors or a landlord or a mail carrier or anyone else can ever see or hear them they would have no reason to assume that you called CPS.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
The thing is, you don't know what will happen if you leave. Right now you are a bandaid. An enabler. I get you love the kids, your heart is in the right place. But being there isn't making things better for them in the long run. It's making it worse. Their parents need to step up and parent or lose their kids.

So something about foster care. Foster homes are getting better! Many countries have closed their doors to international adoption and less babies are being placed for adoption in the US. That means many loving and dedicated people are heading towards being foster parents as a road to parenthood. But the longer you stay, the older they get and the less likely they will find a good foster home.

Are you going to stay the family punching bag to raise all of these kids plus the ones they have after this? You could easily be raising this set until you are 40...and then maybe a new generation after. Are you going to give your life to this cause? Or do you want something better for yourself? Like your own kids? Or a real career? Or a husband that treats you well?

Do you want your own life?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:03 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,242,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You cannot take your nephew with you. And it wouldn't be in his best interest, nor yours, to do so. You need to get YOUR life in order, as much as the other members of your family do. You nephew needs a stable home. You can't offer him one, any more than his own parents don't seem able to.

Think long term Upsadaisy. Nothing will get better in a month, or 6 months. But you can start on the one person who wants to change here, and it's you. If you really fear for your siblings or nephew, you have an obligation to make a CPS report.

Great post!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,773,377 times
Upsadaisy, I see you say you attend church regularly. Please, please, talk to someone you trust at your church and ask for help and guidance. You are too young to be facing problems of such magnitude alone, without any wise mentors.

You must get away from your family in order to start helping your siblings and nephew. It will be hard, and it will seem at first as if it just made things worse, but it is absolutely the first step you must take. I don't think there has been anyone who has replied who didn't say this! Call someone from your church today!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 AM

51,660 posts, read 25,900,536 times
Lot of good advice on this thread.

The only way things will change is if you do.

Surely, there is an elderly person in your church who needs a live-in companion, or someone willing to rent you a room.

Your next paycheck needs to go to that. By continuing to support this crowd of neer-do-wells, you are ensuring that your nieces and nephews will never have a better life.

Your relatives will figure this out or social services will step in.

You've done all you can do.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,773,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Surely, there is an elderly person in your church who needs a live-in companion, or someone willing to rent you a room.
Now that's a good idea....that is, as long as she doesn't allow her family to bring their drama to her place and annoy or even endanger the elderly person.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lot of good advice on this thread.

The only way things will change is if you do.

Your next paycheck needs to go to that. By continuing to support this crowd of neer-do-wells, you are ensuring that your nieces and nephews will never have a better life.

Your relatives will figure this out or social services will step in.

You've done all you can do.
I know someone who did that. He had a free place to live (his own bedroom & could use the kitchen) and all he did was about five or to ten hours a week of doing odd jobs and running errands for the elderly man. I think that the elderly man just did not want to be alone in his house and wanted some company as he would sometimes invite my friend to join him for the evening meal.

I knew someone else who helped a physically disabled friend get ready every morning, about 1 1/2 hours each day, and also had free rent & free utilities in her home.

It can be hard to find situations like this this but if you don't look you will never find one.

I agree that you must never allow your family to bug or annoy or endanger the person that you live with. It probably would be best to keep the address to yourself.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 PM

51,660 posts, read 25,900,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I agree that you must never allow your family to bug or annoy or endanger the person that you live with. It probably would be best to keep the address to yourself.
Agree.

With any luck at all, the OP will find someone willing to mentor, or at least help her figure out a better life for herself.

Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships