Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 04:27 PM

59 posts, read 50,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I asked her an hour ago about it and her first answer was "would I get to keep my stamps?" :/

I couldn't really talk more with her about it she was putting her make up on.

Im gonna think more about all this. Im thinking maybe I could do this.
Don't be so simple. If you're going to take your nephew, then do it right. Which means, doing it LEGALLY. Given the Stamps response you got from your sister, she's not going to sign him over. If she's not going to sign him over, forget about taking him because otherwise that's asking for a whole bucket of troubles.

You ★CAN★ do it... Just not with your nephew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
If you leave and take him with you w/o permission, or even with permission but without legal rights to him, you can be arrested for kidnapping. Do not do that!

Old 02-24-2016, 04:38 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Sometimes in life it is okay to be selfish.

Take care of yourself first.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
I'm 22.

I always have stuck by my mom bc I want her to love me. I try to please her and take care of her but she just doesnt like me. She used to be the best mom in the world but she changed now nothing I do is ever right and she gets drunk and screams at me. I have always taken care of her and made her good and did whatever she wanted. My sister likes me sometimes but my mom likes her best and they make fun of me and I just feel like they both dont like me. Im starting to think the right thing to do is to leave but I dont know if I could turn them in.

Heres the thing, if I leave then they won't take care of the kids. My siblings wont get fed or helped w/homework and nobody will wash their clothes or sheets. My baby nephew will sit in dirty diapers and go without eating or being held. That's what's gonna happen

Or if I turn them in my family will never forgive me. They might go to jail and the kids will go to foster care and be split up and I have been in foster care and I was better off with my mom then what I experienced. Like I still do not know what to do and I am still thinking about it but this is why its hard for me. This is my family I dont have anyone else.
It's not you, it's them. They are completely dysfunctional. It doesn't matter what you do, or how long you do it. Nothing will change if you just stay there and take care of them.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM

323 posts, read 346,474 times
OP - getting out of that kind of a situation is extremely hard, but you're a smart woman and if anyone can do it, YOU CAN!

Sometimes we have to cut the cancer out of our lives so to speak and that's exactly what you need to do. It will be scary and there will be moments when you don't think you'll make it, but I promise you - YOU WILL.

You will make it because the dream of having a life of your own will become real for you and you won't be able to give it up. All of the heartache and self-doubt will be worth it. You've just gotta muster up the courage to take that first super scary step and that is believing you are worth more than being their doormat.

You don't need their approval or even their blessing. Only your own desire to have a better life. You can do it.

As for the child, that is not your responsibility. You are 22...you've gotta figure yourself out before you can ever think of caring for someone else. Put YOU first! You deserve nothing less.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
My dear Miss Daisy, if you stay where you are, 20 years from now your kid will be posting this same thing on City Data. You will spend your entire life catering to these people and end up with exactly nothing. And you will most likely bring another generation into this world with no way out. If you want even a chance of doing well, you have to get away from these people and their disastrous life-style choices. You are not strong enough to save them but they are strong enough to make you their victim.

Get your own bank account in your name only and start saving money. Work as much as you can and don't ever bring paychecks or money back to the house. They will take it from you. Do anything you can to become more skilled and employable. Move out and do not let them know where you live. They WILL move in. Or better yet, leave the area.

You can save you. But you can't save them!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My dear Miss Daisy, if you stay where you are, 20 years from now your kid will be posting this same thing on City Data. You will spend your entire life catering to these people and end up with exactly nothing. And you will most likely bring another generation into this world with no way out. If you want even a chance of doing well, you have to get away from these people and their disastrous life-style choices. You are not strong enough to save them but they are strong enough to make you their victim.

Get your own bank account in your name only and start saving money. Work as much as you can and don't ever bring paychecks or money back to the house. They will take it from you. Do anything you can to become more skilled and employable. Move out and do not let them know where you live. They WILL move in. Or better yet, leave the area.

You can save you. But you can't save them!
thank you for the advice. yes, I am saving as much money as I can. My hours have unfortunately been cut but I am looking for another job, its just hard bc a lot of retail isnt hiring since its slow. A lot of places are not hiring just taking applications but I am doing the best I can to find another job & save up money.

and germaine Im not going to take my nephew if i do do this. I want to but i know i couldnt which breaks my heart bc I love him so much and I have taken care of him since he was a newborn baby I think thats why Im so attached I think of him as my own even though Iknow hes not mine, I know I didnt give birth to him but its hard to break those feelings when i have cared for & bonded w/ him. I know thats hard for ppl here to understand. I do love him and wants whats best for him but im also selfish bc I love him and want him to be with me but i know thats not possible as you & every one else has said.

I really just asked her to see what she would say & to put it out there that I was thinking of maybe doing this, but she thinks its about this guy Ive been talking to online.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
OP - getting out of that kind of a situation is extremely hard, but you're a smart woman and if anyone can do it, YOU CAN!

Sometimes we have to cut the cancer out of our lives so to speak and that's exactly what you need to do. It will be scary and there will be moments when you don't think you'll make it, but I promise you - YOU WILL.

You will make it because the dream of having a life of your own will become real for you and you won't be able to give it up. All of the heartache and self-doubt will be worth it. You've just gotta muster up the courage to take that first super scary step and that is believing you are worth more than being their doormat.

You don't need their approval or even their blessing. Only your own desire to have a better life. You can do it.

As for the child, that is not your responsibility. You are 22...you've gotta figure yourself out before you can ever think of caring for someone else. Put YOU first! You deserve nothing less.
Thank you for the kind words & to everyone who has given me advice i appreciate all of it

Old 02-24-2016, 05:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
thank you for the advice. yes, I am saving as much money as I can. My hours have unfortunately been cut but I am looking for another job, its just hard bc a lot of retail isnt hiring since its slow. A lot of places are not hiring just taking applications but I am doing the best I can to find another job & save up money.

and germaine Im not going to take my nephew if i do do this. I want to but i know i couldnt which breaks my heart bc I love him so much and I have taken care of him since he was a newborn baby I think thats why Im so attached I think of him as my own even though Iknow hes not mine, I know I didnt give birth to him but its hard to break those feelings when i have cared for & bonded w/ him. I know thats hard for ppl here to understand. I do love him and wants whats best for him but im also selfish bc I love him and want him to be with me but i know thats not possible as you & every one else has said.

I really just asked her to see what she would say & to put it out there that I was thinking of maybe doing this, but she thinks its about this guy Ive been talking to online.

I am so happy to hear that you are not taking your nephew. Having a child severely, severely limits your options.

People do understand that you love and have bonded deeply with your nephew, they just know that it would be virtually impossible for you to be successful if you also have to be responsible for him, too.

You can still love your nephew and be a good role model to him. You can be someone who he really looks up to and respects. And, once you are out and successful you can help him become successful, too.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times
If you take your nephew with you... it is not legal.

The instant you don't give your sister something she wants, she can charge you with kidnapping if she wants and you will go to jail.

Please... please think rationally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships