Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,725,742 times

Advertisements

It is frustrating.

But I do believe now - I didn't always - but now I do - other people can do very little when it comes to changing someone else's behavior.
and I prefer to avoid knocking my head against the wall.

I meditate. and my friend who had the stroke had asked me - if I thot meditation would let her be less angry and upset all the time.
I told her - with me, it does.
She said she couldn't find any meditation in her area.
I sent her links to come local places.

and then I let it go....

I have an issue with the students I volunteer teach. They are late, they are absent, they don't call like they are sup'd to when they can't make it. The coordinator asked me did I want her to call them and urge them to be responsible.
I told her no. They know what is expected of them, they choose to follow their own way, so the result will be they will no longer have a free class with a great teacher to attend.

Bec. I believe sense of responsibility comes from inside, I don't believe it can be instilled in anyone. Probably by the time one is 10 years old or thereabouts, one has either been raised to be responsible or not.

I think the same about health habits. I told my father that eating as much sugar as he does causes inflammation leading to him being in pain.
so I gave him the info, he doesn't follow it - that's on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
This is what's so frustrating. Of course people know. This kind of willful behavior is one thing I have a hard time dealing with.

At a club locally, there's a guy who comes in with his oxygen tank, sets it on the floor, and lights a cigarette. No one says anything! I tell hubby to leave when he comes in; I won't go there. Should I refrain? I suppose. But sometimes you have to try and get it through people's heads just how stupid they are being. Then, if they get mad at you for caring, you've got something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,064,772 times
Say nothing. To me encouraging/nagging her to do speech therapy is a backhanded way of saying she's not good enough for you unless she can speak normally. The stroke already has affected her life negatively and probably made her feel sad, helpless, maybe even depressed. Just let her be; she may change her mind later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships