Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
perhaps you should just be bold and instead of saying congrats just say "a thank you would be nice for the answers I gave you to the interview questions"
I agree.

Perhaps, you could say something like "I wanted you to know that if a co-worker helps you practice for an interview or helps you with a work related problem it is expected that you tell them Thank you.

If you do not express your thanks, it is unlikely that the person will want to help you in the future."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times
Yeah, I will be seeing her tomorrow anyway, so we'll see how that goes in person. It could be she'll say thanks in person. You never know!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Yeah, I will be seeing her. omorrow anyway, so we'll see how that goes in person. It could be she'll say thanks in person. You never know!
Don't count on it.

I can relate to this in general, as recently a coworker went on a last-minute 'vacation' for a few days conveniently when all his deadlines were due, and he pushed them onto me and another coworker without even giving us any advance notice. He completely dropped the ball on all sorts of essential tasks related to the projects, meaning that we were scrambling like crazy to get them done so that the deadlines weren't missed. We had to put our own projects on the back burner, and stay ridiculously late just to cover for this guy. I had to last-minute cancel on my husband to see a show that night that we spent $100+ on tickets for.

He gets back, and not a word of thanks to either of us. Not via email, and not in-person.

Never will I go out my way for this guy again, unless my manager is the one asking. Other than that, dude's on his own. I'll help everyone else out, as they've proven to be courteous and appreciative. I'll specifically exclude only this guy. He had been wanting my mentoring on some stuff (he's both older than me and has been there years longer), but LOL @ that now. He can Google it or something.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Why would you help someone advance in the company into a job that she is not qualified for?

And why would you help someone cheat and give her the answers for questions that she should've answered on her own? Giving someone the answers just to help them pass the interview questions is not helping anyone out. It's just being dishonest.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
She email me back but she did not say thank you. She kept on bragging how much they liked her legal skills and will provide her with contracts in accordance with her skills (or lack thereof).

I'm surprised at how self-absorbed some people are. A small "thank you" for your help isn't too much to ask. I understand she had to also do her part, but I provided her with the questions and the answers according to her background. There were about 20 questions that I provided her with on top of the questions she should ask.

I'm baffled. I'll be seeing her tomorrow, aside from a "Congrats", I won't elaborate any further with her because she's seriously obtuce.
That was nice of you to do what you did. Now do her one more favor.

Tell her(in person) that when people go out of their way to help you, you say "thank you". Clearly she doesn't know this, you can also add "you go further in life when you have manners, and show gratitude to people who have helped you along the way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I would think you would already know this, since you are so young yourself, but an average social 23 year old woman looks at her texts/messages every time she gets a 'ding' on her phone, but might not look at her email for days or weeks unless she is expecting something, especially if she is just starting a new job.

I'm in my mid 50s and I don't know anyone who checks their non-work email even once a day.

And now that you HAVE heard back from her, without your required 'thank you', you should just chalk it up to cultural differences. If she never thanks her parents or siblings for helping her, which is probably the case, she is going to do the same for you and everyone else.

Who knows, maybe they didn't ask her any of the questions you coached her on, so she doesn't feel like it helped anyway.

Did she thank you when you were actually spending your time with her, or did she just leave when you were done?
Lot's of excuses. If her mother had been a man she would have been her father.

Someone at age 23 doesn't know how to say thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
She's an intern. Of course she's going to be clueless. The whole point of the internship is to train the intern on the skills she needs to do the job. In many cases they aren't even there 40 hours a week to be able to pick things up like a full-time employee would, nor do employers necessarily give them the same level of responsibility as they would a full-time employee.

I am sure when I was doing work as an intern some of my work product was horrible as well because I simply had no clue what I was doing. If I did, I wouldn't be an intern!

You mention that you gave her the interview questions and answers. Were you the hiring manager? Do you necessarily know what questions were asked and what answers the HM even wanted? Unless you are actually a hiring manager, your guess is as good as anyone else what the HM will ask or what for an answer.
So, she's an internn, not 6 years old. I knew at young age how to say "please" and "thank you".

More excuses.

Very sad sign of the times.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't count on it.

I can relate to this in general, as recently a coworker went on a last-minute 'vacation' for a few days conveniently when all his deadlines were due, and he pushed them onto me and another coworker without even giving us any advance notice. He completely dropped the ball on all sorts of essential tasks related to the projects, meaning that we were scrambling like crazy to get them done so that the deadlines weren't missed. We had to put our own projects on the back burner, and stay ridiculously late just to cover for this guy. I had to last-minute cancel on my husband to see a show that night that we spent $100+ on tickets for.

He gets back, and not a word of thanks to either of us. Not via email, and not in-person.

Never will I go out my way for this guy again, unless my manager is the one asking. Other than that, dude's on his own. I'll help everyone else out, as they've proven to be courteous and appreciative. I'll specifically exclude only this guy. He had been wanting my mentoring on some stuff (he's both older than me and has been there years longer), but LOL @ that now. He can Google it or something.
Well see in a case like this I would have along with your coworker gone over to him and said "BTW, you're welcome, we busted our a**ses to get your work done, you're very welcome". He may or may not get it, but you feel better and you let it be known it isn't going to happen again.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,428,441 times
Though I likely would have similar thoughts when something similar would happen, I also recognize I can do the very same thing. I'm sure I've done this and then apologized for my ungratefulness. Then it becomes a lesson learned.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Three days to reply to a Facebook message when she usually replies within the hour? Of course.

I asked her if they asked the questions we worked on and she said yes. If they hadn't asked her, I wouldn't care because in that case, it was her own doing.
I see. So you didn't email her. Nevermind.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:27 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well see in a case like this I would have along with your coworker gone over to him and said "BTW, you're welcome, we busted our a**ses to get your work done, you're very welcome". He may or may not get it, but you feel better and you let it be known it isn't going to happen again.
Ha! Oh man, I *so* want to do that, but I work for a big corporation where that wouldn't go over too well. So passive aggression it is!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Ha! Oh man, I *so* want to do that, but I work for a big corporation where that wouldn't go over too well. So passive aggression it is!

Well you could still say something along the lines like "well you certainly left us with lot of extra work, I gave up a night out that with my husband that was already paid for, so where are you taking us for lunch(you and your coworker), some place with tablecloths", and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships