Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 05:02 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,377,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Still tacky.

And it was her son's wedding, not hers so why would I be invited?

And they live 1500 miles away.

You people have no taste. Sad.
I'm sure that when the first DJs started playing records at weddings, some people thought replacing live bands with recorded tunes was tacky. Now it's the norm. Some people are scandalized by brides who wear sleeveless, or even strapless , gowns. I know guests who think it's beyond rude to take a gift to a wedding reception ... because it should be delivered to the home of the bride's parents prior to the wedding.

I remember when Prince Charles was coerced into marrying Lady Diana Spencer because she was a virgin. And we know how that turned out. I think even the Queen of England has changed her tune about what is appropriate for modern marriages.

A California Botanical Garden Wedding with Food Trucks and Lots of Love

This wedding would probably really give you a heart attack.
Real Wedding: Two Photo Geeks Throw a Backyard Bash in California | Apartment Therapy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 05:32 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,849,251 times
I had exactly 7 people in attendance for a total of 9 at our wedding. We got married in street clothes on our back deck, had brunch, cake and went to the State Fair that afternoon. It was a good time. The wedding took, we've been marred 24 years. I'm sure some would have thought the proceedings shabby or tacky. It doesn't matter and I didn't invite them.

People are who they are. Many people like the grand affair (ka-ching), some are more comfortable with a big hoe-down, or maybe a very limited, family/friend centric personal event. Frankly it's the attitude of the OP that keeps people in the pockets of Bride magazine and wedding planners because their personalized ceremonies, off-beat venues, or choice of food/entertainment draws so much flak from would be etiquette "experts' and self appointed taste makers.

Regardless, if one thinks that they are going to be a judgmental sour grape at a wedding because of the venue, food or events, just do the wedding party and family (that are likely shelling out serious corn whether it's filet mignon or s food truck) a favor and send your regrets. If you go and find the event is not to your liking then politely and graciously leave early or endure with grace. Anything else is the definition of tacky.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,190,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You missed the point. No alcohol at a wedding isn't tacky. That being said, serving alcohol at a wedding but making guests pay for it is supremely tacky.
I've been to cash bar receptions or a version thereof where each guest was given a ticket for two free drinks and there was a bottle of champagne on each table. Any more than that, you had to pay at the bar. That was the reception of a doctor on his fourth marriage.

Another time, there was an open bar for an hour at the reception, and then it turned into a cash bar. It was a pay-by-the-hour deal at their reception hall. I remember that some guest ponied up to keep the bar an open bar for an additional hour. That one was a young couple on a budget.

I was also at one years ago that was held in the couples favorite pizza joint. They served pizza, a salad bar, and giant subs. The wedding itself was at a church.

I dislike attending weddings to begin with, but receptions can be ridiculously expensive, so I don't ever recall feeling judgemental about the food or alcohol options.

What I do find tacky are the invitations to wedding showers with a big old exhortation for gifts that directs you to the registries of certain or even several stores. Now you are expected to attend a stupid wedding shower and you have to bring a gift from the registry. And then, if they even bothered to invite you to the actual wedding, you are expected to pony up for another gift. I used to attend these events for co-workers and such when I was younger, but now, I would laugh and throw that invitation in the trash.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,771,336 times
I don't think OP imagined the responses would go this way. OP is now AWOL

Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,877,701 times
Wedding etiquette sites claim a buffet is tacky and fast food and dessert only and whatever else they come up with... dont get me started on vow renewals either. They feel like you should just be in your living room with nothing else because anything thing else is a 2nd wedding and HOW DARE YOU!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,877,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Still tacky.

And it was her son's wedding, not hers so why would I be invited?

And they live 1500 miles away.

You people have no taste. Sad.
Then why are you complaining about it as if you were invited or had a say?!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,828,862 times
A possible drawback I can see with a food truck is how to feed a crowd all at once. Nobody wants to stand in line for 45 minutes while food is cooked and served to the waiting throng. Buffet lines are bad enough and that food is already prepared. Even if the truck brought food ready to eat, you still have to plate it and hand it out.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:52 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,376,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Then why are you complaining about it as if you were invited or had a say?!
Maybe they're upset they weren't invited? Some people like to be invited even if the person inviting them knows they won't come.

My wife invited certain local people to several events a year for a number of years running, kind of a standard invite list she always started with, and some of them never showed up once over the course of however many years. So, I suggested to my wife she should trim her local invite list and save the trouble of writing out envelopes and paying postage for people who clearly don't ever plan to attend.

But wouldn't you know, once my wife trimmed down her list and stopped inviting some of the people who never show up, some of them took notice and weren't happy that the invites had ceased. They took it as a personal affront, it seemed.

Some people really just want or expect to be invited to everything -- even if it's only so they can gleefully not attend. "Oh they invited me, of course, but I would never go to such a thing, they're blahblahblah and you know that their family blahblahblah and you would not believe the corsage she intends to wear!"

Old 09-20-2016, 09:49 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,727,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What I do find tacky are the invitations to wedding showers with a big old exhortation for gifts that directs you to the registries of certain or even several stores. Now you are expected to attend a stupid wedding shower and you have to bring a gift from the registry. And then, if they even bothered to invite you to the actual wedding, you are expected to pony up for another gift.

I buy gifts for weddings but I can't spend a hundred dollars on one. When I got married, I had to scrape to buy everything I needed for my own household. Most of my cookware came from thrift stores and other stuff was cast offs from people who no longer needed it. I don't see why I should be purchasing things for others. I've seen registries where both the groom and the bride were upper level professionals with high paying jobs, and I wondered why they didn't just buy what they needed for their own home.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,855,519 times
Thanks for the idea! I am going to suggest my niece call Betty's Bomb A** Burgers to see if they can have the food truck at the outdoor wedding they are planning next spring. What a killer idea!

And lest you believe Betty's sells just plain old burgers, here's the menu:
Betty's Bomb A** Burgers Food Truck & TJ George

The tots are incredible!

(They don't really have a website, just a FB page so I linked to that page instead)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships