Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,752,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Middle class people in our society today want what used to be reserved only for the wealthy. One example of that is college. In earlier times, college was something that was for the rich peoples' kids only. Same thing with big, expensive weddings - it was only high society, wealthy people who had those. People bought small houses to live in, but these days, they want really large homes. A nice car for everyone in the family. Season tickets to all the football games. Don't want their teenaged kids to have to work summer jobs. It's no wonder consumer debt is so high nowadays. It's true that some people create their own financial problems. I know people in their 60s who still max out their credit cards at the shopping mall and drive status cars, with virtually no money at all saved for retirement. In fact, some of them don't even know what an IRA or a 401K is. But they know how to apply for credit cards.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head.

I couldn't get why this couple even had to have such a big fancy wedding, they have sleeping in the same bed(and that's fine) for 5 years, and were returning to the same place. Already in debt for two new cars.

Why not just have a small casual wedding, and use the money saved for down payment on a home. Not solicit funds for it.

Apparently the wedding dress was very expensive as well. Why? A dress you're going to wear once?

Speaking of college I know of another situation where a young man could have lived at home as the college was 20 minutes away from his parents. Not good enough, he had to live on campus. His student loan debt is a $1,000 a month. He also has a $30,000 truck, nice kid but I about fell off my chair when he said was his loan payment was.

Oh, he lives with mom and dad now, because even though he has a good job he can't afford rent, car payments, and loan payments.

I think the wedding mentioned by the OP was probably fun and cost effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 03:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,732,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Speaking of college I know of another situation where a young man could have lived at home as the college was 20 minutes away from his parents. Not good enough, he had to live on campus. His student loan debt is a $1,000 a month. He also has a $30,000 truck, nice kid but I about fell off my chair when he said was his loan payment was..

I knew a few people in college who could have easily lived at home, but they lived on campus. In at least one case, their parents insisted on it. They wanted their kid to "have the whole college experience". And might have wanted them to get used to living on their own. If they could afford it, more power to them. But if not and they are already taking out loans for college, that is just foolish.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,752,539 times
Quote:
I knew a few people in college who could have easily lived at home, but they lived on campus. In at least one case, their parents insisted on it. They wanted their kid to "have the whole college experience". And might have wanted them to get used to living on their own. If they could afford it, more power to them. But if not and they are already taking out loans for college, that is just foolish.
Exactly, the one I mentioned is now living back at home because he can't swing rent, student loan payment, and an expensive car note.

Many also snub their noses these days at living at home, going to community college and earning an AA degree,than transfering to a four year college.

Same thing as having weddings you can't afford.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:54 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,420,275 times
tacky??? I think a food truck is a good idea

not everyone has the luxury of having a pig-roast at a wedding reception
no need to be a snob

Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,928,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok, so an old friend of mine just posted pictures of her son's wedding reception. The event was "catered" by a burger and hot dog food truck.

So, post your tacky stories here.

Tacky? I think it sounds like fun and a refreshing change of pace.

Since I don't eat meat, though, I'd be hoping they had fries.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,301,849 times
I will never understand why people call receptions "weddings". For example, I don't get the term "dry wedding". Weddings are all dry, aren't they? Who serves alcohol at a wedding?

A wedding is when people get married.

Everything else is just a party.

Parties all follow normal social etiquette about hosting:
  • If it's at mealtime, you must serve a meal.
  • If it's not, you don't have to, but you should offer some refreshments.
  • Alcohol is never, ever required.
  • You aren't required to serve specific things.
  • You can't require your guests to pay.
  • Social events are not tacky if they are casual--it is just a choice, as good as any other.
  • You aren't required to do traditional things at parties, otherwise we'd all still be playing Twister and eating Jell-O molds at the neighbor's house on Friday nights while wearing beehive hairdos.
  • And it's rude for guests to complain.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,732,397 times
Quote:
Many also snub their noses these days at living at home, going to community college and earning an AA degree,than transfering to a four year college..

I remember reading a Suze Ormon book about managing money and one thing that stuck with me, was she said that nobody is entitled to go to the college they want to, unless they can afford to go without taking out loans. And it doesn't matter how smart they are or how many Ivy League schools they get accepted into; that if they can't afford it, they shouldn't go. She said they should take all their basics at a community college, then transfer to a state university and work while they are in school. So they can graduate with as little debt as possible.

However, a lot of people at age 18 are just not mature enough to understand the serious long term consequences of massive debt.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,081,901 times
Quote:
Better to be "tacky" than stupid.

Stupid are the ones who have to a big lavish wedding, spending in one day money that could be used for a down payment on a house.

If they can afford it, why do you consider it "stupid"?

Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,073,594 times
Quote:
. She said they should take all their basics at a community college, then transfer to a state university and work while they are in school. So they can graduate with as little debt as possible.
I worked my way through undergrad & grad school and graduated debt free..

Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 PM

858 posts, read 1,819,197 times
Quote:
I was reading something recently that said people aren't buying fine china and silverware that much anymore. Don't know if it's true or not.
I can answer for me. NO. I do not want fine china or silverware. It's just not me. Funnily enough, I got some china since MIL won a set in a raffle and gave it to us. It's been in my possession since at least 6 years ago and I never bothered to take it out of the original box, until she did when we bought our first house in 2015. But I have never used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships