Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,911,728 times

Advertisements

Lol

My husband has a food truck, and yes it's always a big hit with the wedding guests. He even did my sister's wedding, she wanted a Caribbean style BBQ. People were lining up for their seconds and third helpings. There was one guy went back for the Curried Potatoe salad five times. My sister told me that the guests still go on about how good the food was years later. Hey, good food leads to good times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,345,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Hot dogs and hamburgers from a food truck at your wedding is indeed tacky. I agree with you, OP.
Like did thw wedding take place at a baseball game? or a tailgate?
And what did you do for your wedding?

Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,732,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
And what did you do for your wedding?
It was a lavish, over-the-top Hindu wedding with both vegetarian and meat options. Multiple cakes, open bar, and food to die for. Thanks for asking.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 PM

11,224 posts, read 9,851,850 times
I didn't attend my niece's wedding because it was held an 8 hour drive away from the entire family of both the bride and groom, in a city where no-one known to any of us lived. Then she made it black tie and formal dresses for THE GUESTS. Seriously, what kind of bridezilla tells her guests what to wear? She and her bridesmaids have tried to outdo each other's weddings and this was just one more chance to try and one-up her friends, regardless of how it inconvenienced both families and ALL the guests. And since it was an evening wedding 8 hours from home it required a 2 night stay at a hotel because you can't really attend a wedding exhausted from an 8 hour drive or drive home after. So the cost to attend the wedding would include: gas or airfare for 2 to the city and back again, a new formal dress, a new suit or a tux rental, 2 nights at a hotel in a large overpriced city, and a gift. And since the bride never even sent us a congratulations card after our wedding, or a thank you note EVER in her life, or a Christmas/birthday/or any other type of card in her 35 years of life, I declined. I viewed her invitation as a request for a gift, or an obligation to the family. She did not invite HER OWN FATHER (my brother), a fact I didn't find out until after I'd already declined. Now that's tacky.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,532,083 times
Quote:
It was a lavish, over-the-top Hindu wedding with both vegetarian and meat options. Multiple cakes, open bar, and food to die for. Thanks for asking.
And some might call that gaudy.

But as long as you and your guests enjoyed it, that's what matters.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,031,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And some might call that gaudy.

But as long as you and your guests enjoyed it, that's what matters.
. I was thinking ostentatious, but gaudy fits.

I'd have enjoyed that food truck as much as that poster and his guests may have enjoyed gorging on all that food.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,521,492 times
People celebrating their love in a way that suits them best works for me. Not tacky. Being judgmental with malice is tacky.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I got married over 30 years ago. In the South, that's how it was done! You had cake, punch, nuts, butter mints and maybe cheese straws. (When my daughter got married, I jokingly said she MUST have butter mints, and by golly, she did! lol) Being in a Methodist church, alcohol wasn't an option. We also got married at 2:00. My wedding director (a Great Aunt) said that at 2:00, they don't expect you to feed them a meal!

I recently went to some friends' wedding. The reception was in the church fellowship hall with cake, finger foods, punch AND wine! It was an Episcopal church. A Lutheran minister was behind us in the receiving line when I made a comment about the wine. He said, "Thank God for the Episcopalians!" lol
Save
That's hilarious, but so true. I am Episcopalian. We have wine at our potlucks. And when a gay male couple who are active parishioners got married a couple of years ago, they had a reception in the parish hall with a champagne fountain in addition to red and white wine and beer, along with with shrimp and fancy appetizers and pasta and a carving station and gorgeous centerpieces. It was FABULOUS!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
My coworker and her husband returned to India to get married. I could not believe the pictures of the wedding! There were huge receptions in different places almost every night for two weeks. You Hindus know how to par-tee!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,723,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I didn't attend my niece's wedding because it was held an 8 hour drive away from the entire family of both the bride and groom, in a city where no-one known to any of us lived. Then she made it black tie and formal dresses for THE GUESTS. Seriously, what kind of bridezilla tells her guests what to wear? She and her bridesmaids have tried to outdo each other's weddings and this was just one more chance to try and one-up her friends, regardless of how it inconvenienced both families and ALL the guests. And since it was an evening wedding 8 hours from home it required a 2 night stay at a hotel because you can't really attend a wedding exhausted from an 8 hour drive or drive home after. So the cost to attend the wedding would include: gas or airfare for 2 to the city and back again, a new formal dress, a new suit or a tux rental, 2 nights at a hotel in a large overpriced city, and a gift. And since the bride never even sent us a congratulations card after our wedding, or a thank you note EVER in her life, or a Christmas/birthday/or any other type of card in her 35 years of life, I declined. I viewed her invitation as a request for a gift, or an obligation to the family. She did not invite HER OWN FATHER (my brother), a fact I didn't find out until after I'd already declined. Now that's tacky.
There is really no point in complaining about a wedding you did not even attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships