Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:28 AM

379 posts, read 340,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I literally cannot understand how a person would need to use the washing machine so much, unless she is washing each individual item of clothing by itself!

Unfortunately roommate situations do go bad sometimes, and this sounds like one of those times. Of course you have every right to ask them to be quieter, and for him to not be there as much, but you can't force them to be decent about it.
Yep, that's the problem- we've already talked about it, and it made things weird, further discussion is going to make it blow up and then even if he abides by the 7 days he'll go out of his way to be even louder. I do have a bunch of apartments I'm looking at, hopefully one of them will come through. It's going to be a financial hardship, but even if I had to get a second job on the weekends it'd be better than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times
This situation sounds unresolvable. You should probably find a place you can afford on your own.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
That is still more than normal even if she washes everything immediately. I'll bet she is doing laundry for pay. And you are picking up the utility bill I'll bet.

She needs to be paying that huge electric and water bill. And, if she is doing this, when does she have time for this guy that is camping there?? Seems a bit convoluted.
Despite your friend moving out soon, he could at least show unity in this situation and back you up.

I'd tell the guy (visitor) that you are on a lease that only allows visitors over night 7 nights a month.....he is pushing his quota. Offer him a solution....Invite him to pay rent, place a nice long lease in front of him and start pestering him every visit to sign it. ....That will keep him away for sure. Moochers avoid discussing paying anything as long as they can.
I don't think she's doing it for pay. The utilities are a lot, but not that much. She does have a day job but has many days off and doesn't work many hours, so she's home a lot.
Yeah, other roommate just wants to do his own thing, and I don't blame him. If this were a long term living situation for him it would be another matter.
She is very aware of the 7 day limit- it came up before she met this guy when she was talking about someone who lived in the house before me and had his fiancée staying over all the time.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
He's probably in a half way house.
Ha, maybe. Not that this is at all relevant, but he didn't know that Chile is a country!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
She has a fetish. Basically she does clothes every time she wears them, and can't stand to have dirty clothes in her room. It's very odd, and jacked up the utilities big time, but I actually could live with it if that were the only issue.
Too weird. Run for the hills.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,984 times
It's possible that the relationship will fizzle as quickly as it started so you might try to wait it out.

Could you and the nice roommate could find a place together? You said he's moving to be close to his kids, but it's not clear whether it's on the other side of town or a new city or what.

If there is a 7-day limit on guests, I'd bring it up to the roommate and then to the landlord. I don't see what you have to lose since they're keeping you up all night anyway.

In the meantime, keep your valuables locked up. Since this guy appeared out of nowhere it is possible that he's in a halfway house as mentioned above, or is basically homeless.

Sounds awful and I hope find better housing soon.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Time for a house meeting (without the boyfriend). Everyone needs to be reminded of the terms of the lease and anyone using more than their share of the utilities (i.e. obsessively doing laundry) needs to pay more than the others.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
This situation sounds unresolvable. You should probably find a place you can afford on your own.
I agree with you, and have some places lined up to look at. I think it's unlikely I'll be out before December 1, but possible. The vacancy rate here is at a record low, so it's not just the expense but the difficulty in actually finding something empty (that is in a relatively safe area).
It's a big lesson though- I always had good roommate experiences in the past, so I figured it would be worth it to save so much money. Now I know that no amount of money is worth it. Maybe a good thing, I doubt many people have made it through life without a terrible roommate experience, so it's something I can check off my bucket list.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's possible that the relationship will fizzle as quickly as it started so you might try to wait it out.

Could you and the nice roommate could find a place together? You said he's moving to be close to his kids, but it's not clear whether it's on the other side of town or a new city or what.

If there is a 7-day limit on guests, I'd bring it up to the roommate and then to the landlord. I don't see what you have to lose since they're keeping you up all night anyway.

In the meantime, keep your valuables locked up. Since this guy appeared out of nowhere it is possible that he's in a halfway house as mentioned above, or is basically homeless.

Sounds awful and I hope find better housing soon.
Oh yeah, left that out- he's unfortunately moving to another state. He would be an ideal roommate for a 2BR.
She's very aware of the 7 day limit since she talked about a previous housemate abusing it. The landlord didn't do anything about that, so I can't imagine he'll care about this. I think I will wait until the end of the month, and then if I haven't secured another apartment I'll talk to him about it. My only reluctance is that they have the power to make whatever limited time I spend here even worse so I'm just trying to get out of the situation as best I can.

I definitely have everything of value stowed away. I don't think he's homeless or anything like that but with relations deteriorating I'm not going to chance anything.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Time for a house meeting (without the boyfriend). Everyone needs to be reminded of the terms of the lease and anyone using more than their share of the utilities (i.e. obsessively doing laundry) needs to pay more than the others.
We already had it out about him being over too much, and she knows the terms of the lease. I'm willing to punt on the utilities since the amount of money isn't critical. I'm hopeful I can be out by November 1 but I'm seeing a possibility of it being December before I find a place which would be a drag. I've been thinking about it more today and there's really no remedy other than moving out. She knows the 7 day limit, she violates it anyway, and this isn't the type of thing that's going to get the landlord interested since she's not damaging the property (well probably the washer and drier but that's another matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships