Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 AM

379 posts, read 340,279 times

Advertisements

Due to the rent increases in my area I moved into a shared housing situation. One of the roommates is super nice and considerate but he's moving in a month to be closer to his kids.
The other roommate isn't malicious, but she's very loud and inconsiderate and does laundry 5-6 nights a week, sometimes 7, and often does two or three loads in a night. On the weekend she'll sometimes have the machine tied up from 10-10.
The laundry thing is annoying, but our schedules are different enough that I can manage. However, and this is a big however- she met a guy recently. It was shocking since she talked a lot about how she hasn't been on a date in over a year and hasn't had any relationship in years.

She met him 8 days ago and he's spent the night 6 times. He's also pretty loud and the addition of a second loud person has been a real problem, as we have essentially 4 people living in the house now.

Just curious to what extent you would push to enforce the guest limit. The other roommate is very, very annoyed with her but since he's leaving soon he's sucking it up. I am actively looking for my own place but it could take as long as a couple months to get out of here with the rental market being what it is. The boyfriend seems like a jerk based on some of the loud conversations they've had so I suspect if I bring it up he'll go out of his way to be loud and make living here unpleasant. I did confront them about the noise at 2 AM Monday and they said they'd try to keep it down, and it has improved slightly, but not enough to be manageable. Apparently he has some kind of living situation that precludes them sleeping at his place, so that's out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,378 times
Just wondering... Does she do laundry for a job? How is it possible that one person generates enough dirty clothes to be doing laundry for 7 nights and hours at a time? Other than that, I wouldn't want to have to deal with someone staying over night after night. Maybe time to find a new place.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
Due to the rent increases in my area I moved into a shared housing situation. One of the roommates is super nice and considerate but he's moving in a month to be closer to his kids.
The other roommate isn't malicious, but she's very loud and inconsiderate and does laundry 5-6 nights a week, sometimes 7, and often does two or three loads in a night. On the weekend she'll sometimes have the machine tied up from 10-10.
The laundry thing is annoying, but our schedules are different enough that I can manage. However, and this is a big however- she met a guy recently. It was shocking since she talked a lot about how she hasn't been on a date in over a year and hasn't had any relationship in years.

She met him 8 days ago and he's spent the night 6 times. He's also pretty loud and the addition of a second loud person has been a real problem, as we have essentially 4 people living in the house now.

Just curious to what extent you would push to enforce the guest limit. The other roommate is very, very annoyed with her but since he's leaving soon he's sucking it up. I am actively looking for my own place but it could take as long as a couple months to get out of here with the rental market being what it is. The boyfriend seems like a jerk based on some of the loud conversations they've had so I suspect if I bring it up he'll go out of his way to be loud and make living here unpleasant. I did confront them about the noise at 2 AM Monday and they said they'd try to keep it down, and it has improved slightly, but not enough to be manageable. Apparently he has some kind of living situation that precludes them sleeping at his place, so that's out.
I moved from a studio to a roommate situation recently. One house I looked at was very strict on the number of visits per month rule. I think that is a good rule and the roommates should strictly enforce it to prevent problems like you are enduring.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,238,918 times
The visit limit is to prevent stray people from moving in. You are finding out how irritating it is to have a roommate move in their recreational partner. If you have any way to enforce limits, I suggest that you do it. It will only get worse from here on.

7 nights a month is a full week. If you have any input, try to set it at one night per week.

Suggest to the roommate that some nights should be spent at his house.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Just wondering... Does she do laundry for a job? How is it possible that one person generates enough dirty clothes to be doing laundry for 7 nights and hours at a time? Other than that, I wouldn't want to have to deal with someone staying over night after night. Maybe time to find a new place.
She has a fetish. Basically she does clothes every time she wears them, and can't stand to have dirty clothes in her room. It's very odd, and jacked up the utilities big time, but I actually could live with it if that were the only issue.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I moved from a studio to a roommate situation recently. One house I looked at was very strict on the number of visits per month rule. I think that is a good rule and the roommates should strictly enforce it to prevent problems like you are enduring.

I think it's a good rule too, I just suspect that if/when I try to enforce it, living there will be miserable. I was dating someone last year who had a roommate (I didn't have one at the time). We flipped on and off staying at her place on the weekends and my place, and when at her place went out of our way to be quiet. Never had any problems with her roommate. She didn't have a limit, but in any case it was never 7 nights a month at her place.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The visit limit is to prevent stray people from moving in. You are finding out how irritating it is to have a roommate move in their recreational partner. If you have any way to enforce limits, I suggest that you do it. It will only get worse from here on.

7 nights a month is a full week. If you have any input, try to set it at one night per week.

Suggest to the roommate that some nights should be spent at his house.

Yes, I suspect it will be 20 nights or more per month. I did suggest this, he has some sort of living situation that makes it impossible for them to stay at his place. She didn't elaborate, but I bet he's renting a place where they don't allow overnights.
The landlord lives an hour away and just wants to fill the house, he looks at it as "you guys are adults, deal with it." So basically, my recourse is to move out which I am attempting to do, but the rental market is super tight.
This was absolutely not on my radar as we talked about it before I moved in, she said her dating life is totally dead and after a month or so I became convinced that nobody would want to date her for various reasons.

Ah well, it's just what you give up when you don't have your own place- no control. It's a shame because the other roommate is about as good as possible.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,023 times
I literally cannot understand how a person would need to use the washing machine so much, unless she is washing each individual item of clothing by itself!

Unfortunately roommate situations do go bad sometimes, and this sounds like one of those times. Of course you have every right to ask them to be quieter, and for him to not be there as much, but you can't force them to be decent about it.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
Quote:
She has a fetish. Basically she does clothes every time she wears them, and can't stand to have dirty clothes in her room. It's very odd, and jacked up the utilities big time, but I actually could live with it if that were the only issue.
That is still more than normal even if she washes everything immediately. I'll bet she is doing laundry for pay. And you are picking up the utility bill I'll bet.

She needs to be paying that huge electric and water bill. And, if she is doing this, when does she have time for this guy that is camping there?? Seems a bit convoluted.
Despite your friend moving out soon, he could at least show unity in this situation and back you up.

I'd tell the guy (visitor) that you are on a lease that only allows visitors over night 7 nights a month.....he is pushing his quota. Offer him a solution....Invite him to pay rent, place a nice long lease in front of him and start pestering him every visit to sign it. ....That will keep him away for sure. Moochers avoid discussing paying anything as long as they can.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,931,046 times
Quote:
Yes, I suspect it will be 20 nights or more per month. I did suggest this, he has some sort of living situation that makes it impossible for them to stay at his place. She didn't elaborate, but I bet he's renting a place where they don't allow overnights.
The landlord lives an hour away and just wants to fill the house, he looks at it as "you guys are adults, deal with it." So basically, my recourse is to move out which I am attempting to do, but the rental market is super tight.
This was absolutely not on my radar as we talked about it before I moved in, she said her dating life is totally dead and after a month or so I became convinced that nobody would want to date her for various reasons.

Ah well, it's just what you give up when you don't have your own place- no control. It's a shame because the other roommate is about as good as possible.
He's probably in a half way house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships