Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:00 PM

12,809 posts, read 15,098,918 times

Advertisements

OK, I skimmed through the first 4 pages of pretty much only your comments OP to get the jest of this issue & here's what I think:

WHO exactly says he has anxiety issues? Is this him telling you back when you were dating that he's an anxious type OR have you seen/heard a doctor's official diagnosis first-hand that he has anxiety issues? If he hasn't officially been diagnosed, he seems to say he's "anxious" as a cover-up excuse for his truly controlling marital ways with YOU.

I personally don't know how in HECK you put up w/ his behavior for the last 30 yrs. I wouldn't put up with that for 24 hrs or if you paid me $1 million, but hey, if you laugh it off, fine w/ me. ONLY YOU know if you're content in this marriage or not. Whether you're sugar-coating his & your situation or not, isn't my concern. Us posters here don't have to live with him nor put up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I can understand why my friend would react the way she did because she has been single for most of her life. She is accustomed to always having things her own way and not having to take anyone else's needs into account.
I've been w/ someone long-term & I can totally understand your friend's feeling about it. You definitely seem to like being controlled & it's not that you "think" you're a "strong" person who can put up with him calling, etc. 20x's a day to see where you are now. You're just so used to being under his thumb that you're used to it. Have you ever in your life ever told him to stop calling & shut your phone off for the day? Yeah, I bet he'll be in a real tizzy then, ha! Try it for once in your life...perhaps you'll feel fabulous, like a great weight's been lifted. Why the heck does he have to know where you are every 1 minute of the day? (continued below after the other's post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I also find your husband's behavior very sad, and while it may seem "healthy" to you to laugh it off and not be upset by it, THAT also makes me sad. You are laughing at his pain, you see?

Your husband needs medical care. Conditions like his often worsen with age.

I hope you can let his doctor know about his behavior. You can call ahead to give the doctor some information privately, and then his doctor would be prepared to ask a few questions at the next appointment. The doctor can be discrete and not reveal that you contacted him/her.

Just thinking about your husband's behavior makes ME anxious!
I agree here too! I don't care how anxious he is. This is HIS problem then to deal w/ it & get help. You have the right as an EQUAL spouse in this marriage to not be treated like a kid who needs watching like a hawk & have the freedom to do as you please & go where you want!

He's probably cheating on you & calling you to make sure he knows where you are & to know you're not coming home yet to catch him in the act. Yeah, I'm sure the OP's laughing this suggestion off too.

This isn't a marriage, it's utterly pitiful & sickening, but if you've lived like this for 30 yrs, you can live with it for 30 more & keep being a prisoner in your own home till you're all old & grey & never knew what it was like to do your own thing without being questioned about it. You better believe your husband wouldn't have put up w/ this if YOU were like this & treated him this way. He would have left you so long ago, your head would spin. If I'm wrong, someone out there tell me which MAN likes being kept tabs on 20, 30+ times a day?!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-26-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 03:23 PM

21,629 posts, read 8,789,073 times
My husband does have some type of anxiety disorder. It's not an excuse. And yes, I know that I should be able to come and go as I please without being treated like a kid or watched like a hawk. Believe me, it may be reassuring in a way to know that someone is looking out for my safety, but I don't get my jollies from being under anyone's thumb.

There isn't much I can do to change my husband if he doesn't see the problem and doesn't want to change. The only person I can change is myself. So I deal with his anxiety as best I can, and having a sense of humor about it is one of those ways. Another way I plan to deal with it is, as I mentioned more than once before, turning off the iPhone option when I'm out.

I should say that he hasn't always been as anxious as he is now. It has gotten worse as he's aged. And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he is having an affair. If you knew him as I do, you'd laugh at the idea, too.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM

12,809 posts, read 15,098,918 times
Thanks for replying. It seems you never want to leave him then, you're just coping with "what you were dealt". Is it because when you took your marriage vows, you're in it through thick & thin OR is it that because it's been 30 yrs, it's too long for you to make a change? It's NEVER too late to change if you're miserable. That's why us ladies have to be able to financially support ourselves at all times & put money away so when the @s$holes of a husband doesn't act right, we can say, "see you sucker, I don't have to put up with this BS!"

I'm all for long & happy marriages too, but to a certain extent...no one should be treat like so many wives do who stay in their marriage. I draw the line at the following (list below) & it's not going to take me even 2, 5, 10, 15, 20+ yrs of putting up with it first before I finally decide to leave in hopes that he'll change or I can change him:

alcoholics
druggies
gamblers
womanizers/flirts
controllers

If a house is on fire, does a person stay in there, get burned up, & die OR do they run out & save their lives? I wish you well & I hope for your sake that you're happy. If you're not, get out of it.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,470,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The OP is not a victim.

Re: the single comment, her post and yours are worlds apart. If the OP meant her post to sound the way that yours did, then she should have written it that way. You are also deciding what the OP meant, so don't act as if we are doing something that you are not.

Several people (in fact, the majority of the posters here) read the comment the same way.

RIght...because on c-d people never pile on...never get polarized and start to feed off each other...jumping on every innocent comment....nope, never.

And don't presume to act like the OP is somehow lying because she was not as expressive as another poster was that she agreed with!

Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,163,060 times
I think you're both wrong. Your friend shouldn't be "angry." But neither should you dismiss it. I think you should steer your husband into therapy. Either he's insanely controlling, which is something that should worry you, or else he doesn't have a good grip on reality.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

RIght...because on c-d people never pile on...never get polarized and start to feed off each other...jumping on every innocent comment....nope, never.

And don't presume to act like the OP is somehow lying because she was not as expressive as another poster was that she agreed with!
Tried to rep you again, well said. Some people need a house to fall on them to get it. Some feel all powerful and bash others, I don't get it. Personally, even IF she meant singles are selfish, that's no where near as bad as the beating she's taken from some posters.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 PM

21,629 posts, read 8,789,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Tried to rep you again, well said. Some people need a house to fall on them to get it. Some feel all powerful and bash others, I don't get it. Personally, even IF she meant singles are selfish, that's no where near as bad as the beating she's taken from some posters.
Seriously. If I didn't feel abused before, I do now after the beating I took in this thread!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,296,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Never said she lied. I said that what she wrote and what that other poster wrote were not the same thing. It very well may be what she meant.

You jump to conclusions and accuse others of doing the same.

I find it amusing that you find it okay to , yet you go on and on about civility.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

13,298 posts, read 8,521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Seriously. If I didn't feel abused before, I do now after the beating I took in this thread!
You've responded civilly to each poster who sought clarification. I respect you for that demeanor. And apologize for how some commentary that was less then diplomatic.

It took much to get to the substance of your mantra. The vow of in sickness and in health vow.

It's commendable.

I do think it's also important to get him in to seek medical attention. His antics could be accessed better by a medical professional. I hope you'll consider that avenue. As a spouse you do have a say in how well he can become. I wish you both a long and loving life together.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
I'm only on page 2. I don't know whether you are a match made in heaven (because most people wouldn't put up with that for long), or if you are really out of touch with reality because you've been living this way for so long, or if you are making excuses for what is really unhealthy relationship behavior.

If my friend told me that story, I wouldn't think it was funny. I might get frustrated that she was putting up with that behavior.

I have anxiety. I worry when my husband travels. I hate flying. I worry if my kid or husband don't come home when they say they will; but holy cow... nothing like you described. I really don't think this behavior can be blamed on anxiety. What does he do when you aren't where you say you're going to be? What is inherently "bad" about being at that gas station? Why would he even question that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships