Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:18 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,507,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
This thread has run off the rails. Nosy/mean posters bait an OP to divulge more information, just so they can pick each new tidbit apart. They also take a innocent sentence like the "single" one, and blow it all out of proportion and decide for themselves how the poster meant it.

I'm a widow, live alone. I can eat when I want, go where I want, go to bed when ever and have full control over the tv remote. I'm also loving, caring and unselfish. THAT is the lifestyle OP meant when she described her single friend vs her life. When I was married I had to make concessions, as did my husband on our everyday lives. Being single is not selfish, it just allows us freedom to come and go and make every day choices without a spouses input.

If the OP's husband needs anti anxiety meds, then some posters need chill pills and non-judgmental shots.
Yeah the single comment really seemed to put people on the defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 11:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,232,805 times
One thing you can do. Turn off your phone tracking and only answer your phone when needed. You are enabling his terrible habit.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 AM

21,656 posts, read 8,810,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
One thing you can do. Turn off your phone tracking and only answer your phone when needed. You are enabling his terrible habit.
Yes, I said earlier in the thread that I was going to disable Find MyiPhone when I'm out and that I would ask my husband to please not call me to check my whereabouts.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
There isn't anything I can say at this point that will appease the haters and moralists on this thread who are convinced that I'm an unhinged trauma survivor who is condescending toward singles and who is the victim of a miserably anxious stalker who might do away with himself. Holy $%#! So I'll just say thanks again for your input.
I hope you are not referring to my post, which was directed at another poster, which is why I qupted his words, not yours.

And I daresay you are exaggerating the nature of the vast majority of responses you are getting here.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
This thread has run off the rails. Nosy/mean posters bait an OP to divulge more information, just so they can pick each new tidbit apart. They also take a innocent sentence like the "single" one, and blow it all out of proportion and decide for themselves how the poster meant it.

I'm a widow, live alone. I can eat when I want, go where I want, go to bed when ever and have full control over the tv remote. I'm also loving, caring and unselfish. THAT is the lifestyle OP meant when she described her single friend vs her life. When I was married I had to make concessions, as did my husband on our everyday lives. Being single is not selfish, it just allows us freedom to come and go and make every day choices without a spouses input.

If the OP's husband needs anti anxiety meds, then some posters need chill pills and non-judgmental shots.

The OP is not a victim.

Re: the single comment, her post and yours are worlds apart. If the OP meant her post to sound the way that yours did, then she should have written it that way. You are also deciding what the OP meant, so don't act as if we are doing something that you are not.

Several people (in fact, the majority of the posters here) read the comment the same way.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I hope you are not referring to my post, which was directed at another poster, which is why I qupted his words, not yours.

And I daresay you are exaggerating the nature of the vast majority of responses you are getting here.
No, I was not referring to yours or to any individual person's post, just condensing what a lot of different people said into a single sentence. All the adjectives I used - "unhinged" "miserable," "condescending" etc. etc. - were actually used in various posts to describe my situation.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The OP is not a victim.

Re: the single comment, her post and yours are worlds apart. If the OP meant her post to sound the way that yours did, then she should have written it that way. You are also deciding what the OP meant, so don't act as if we are doing something that you are not.

Several people (in fact, the majority of the posters here) read the comment the same way.
No, I'm not a victim, but breeinmo's post said what I meant, and very well, too.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:37 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, I'm not a victim, but breeinmo's post said what I meant, and very well, too.

And that's fine. Just note that is not how your post originally came across.

I also meant what I said - you have handled this tough crowd very well.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:49 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,802,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that with anxious people you have to push back. Or they'll erode your freedom and happiness, bit by bit. And not suffer one moment of remorse for it.
Oh my gosh, this gave me chills, as I can see the truth of it from dealing with my MIL for the past decade!

My husband pushes back in a pretty healthy manner....his brother couldn't seem to do that, and she pushed and shoved and grabbed and clutched and held on as much as she possibly could and "eroded his freedom and happiness" to a huge degree.

Wow....so, so true....thanks for putting it into words so succintly.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And that's fine. Just note that is not how your post originally came across.

I also meant what I said - you have handled this tough crowd very well.
Thank you, mochamajesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships