Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,133,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Your experience made me think of that scene in The Sopranos. Christopher was stuck paying $1200 for this huge mafia dinner (partially thanks to Paulie). He and Paulie were arguing about it in the parking lot and the waiter came out and confronted them because Christopher was only able to leave him a $16 tip. Not realizing who he was dealing with, the waiter walked away, mumbling and calling them a-holes. Christopher threw a brick and hit the waiter in the back of the head. The waiter had a seizure and died. I actually did not feel sorry for the guy because he should never have come out of the restaurant to confront them in the first place, especially when he saw they were already angry and arguing with each other.
If I was alone, I'd have probably got out of my car and fought with him. I hate when people think you're just going to take it and be prey. I didn't want to seem like a loon and my friend got really upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You were accosted. That was bat **** crazy. I would never NEVER spend a dime or a moment of my time in that store.
Accosted? Nope.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While I don't go to restaurants that often, since I'm 64 years old I have been to plenty of restaurants over the years. I can't remember ever having a waiter or waitress tell me a sob story, nor a waitress tell us that they are a single mom.

In what kinds of restaurants do you even have conversations with the wait staff?
Usually diners. That's why I don't go out to eat much any more. It's not enjoyable and the food doesn't taste as good as it used to. Sometimes, the waitresses will outright say it, they're a single mom or whatever their deal is. I had one waitress who wanted to tell me her life story.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
We did have a waitress who taped a photo of her kid on the bill tray. I saw it as not just being proud of her kid, but showing that tips were needed to support the kid. I tip according to service, not how many family members a waitperson has or what their financial circumstances are.
I'll never forget I had a group interview, not for food service, and it was asked why we should have a job over the others in the room. Some guy who was a total idiot the whole time said "Because I have a family to support". I wanted to just poke him in the eyes.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 PM

11,809 posts, read 12,049,858 times
Quote:
While I don't go to restaurants that often, since I'm 64 years old I have been to plenty of restaurants over the years. I can't remember ever having a waiter or waitress tell me a sob story, nor a waitress tell us that they are a single mom.

In what kinds of restaurants do you even have conversations with the wait staff?
My mother befriended everyone she encountered, particularly waitstaff at her favourite restaurants. 8 of them came to her funeral.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
I was a retail store manager for years (many years ago though) . I have never heard of an employee following someone out to their car and confronting them about anything. I would think this type of behavior would be grounds for termination.

If it was me that was followed, I would go over the managers head and call the district manager. It's harassment and this employee needs to be dealt with. Not to mention, you could probably file a police report on her for it.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:44 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I was a retail store manager for years (many years ago though) . I have never heard of an employee following someone out to their car and confronting them about anything. I would think this type of behavior would be grounds for termination.
It is grounds for termination at a lot of businesses, opens the store up to too much potential liability (the harassment, not the photo of the tags).
I wouldn't worry about the picture of the tags unless there was theft caught on video and that info is all turned over to the police. There isn't a lot a private citizen can do with a tag number, heck like someone said I could go out and take pictures of car tags all day long if I wanted to for some reason.
Opening sealed packages and using product without paying for it, creating a loss for the store, is considered vandalism. A business can prosecute for it, and our store has in fact banned several repeat offenders for causing hundreds of dollars of loss in cosmetic products.
~ and ladies it's not just the younger generation guilty of it, plenty of our more mature customers can't seem to resist testing out products either.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:05 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:

I think it is fairly common that waitstaff gets into conversations with customers about all kinds of things. I really don't care for it much, as I prefer just the company of those I am dining with. I don't go to restaurants to talk to waiters, but.....

I've had waiters mention their kids, I think perhaps to motivate the customer to tip more. In some cases, I questioned whether they really did have kids, not that it mattered.

I also worked at a restaurant where a waitress faked an Australian accent and her customers liked it and would tip her more. She was lying though, she wasn't from Australia and had never been there. I really didn't care for that. Her accent was phony. Only simple people fell for it.

Some people will do or say anything to get more tips. I've gotten to the point where I can see through it. This is probably why I would have failed as a waitress.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:06 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Your experience made me think of that scene in The Sopranos. Christopher was stuck paying $1200 for this huge mafia dinner (partially thanks to Paulie). He and Paulie were arguing about it in the parking lot and the waiter came out and confronted them because Christopher was only able to leave him a $16 tip. Not realizing who he was dealing with, the waiter walked away, mumbling and calling them a-holes. Christopher threw a brick and hit the waiter in the back of the head. The waiter had a seizure and died. I actually did not feel sorry for the guy because he should never have come out of the restaurant to confront them in the first place, especially when he saw they were already angry and arguing with each other.
I'm a HUGE Sopranos fan and remember that scene. Yes, the waiter was an idiot to bother them. That being said, Christoper was a punk & did attack people unjustifably sometimes - I remember one episode where he was in an acting class, and beat some guy up for no reason - what a P.O.S.
Spoiler
I was glad when Tony was forced to take him out towards the end of the series.

Back O.T. - any waiter/waitress is an idiot for following a customer out into the parking lot. Do these people really think that if they complain about the tip that a customer is going to want to give them more money?! The whole reason these entitled jerks get stiffed on the tip is because they give sub-par service. If anything, the customer will be even angrier at the waiter/waitress for doing this. Morons!

Old 11-08-2016, 09:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
My mother befriended everyone she encountered, particularly waitstaff at her favourite restaurants. 8 of them came to her funeral.
My mom worked in a store and several customers came to her funeral as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships