Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:08 AM

710 posts, read 580,880 times

Advertisements

That is a sexist remark? Maybe uninformed, but not sexist. Thank him kindly and just say you figured it out for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 02:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,118,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
That is a sexist remark? Maybe uninformed, but not sexist. Thank him kindly and just say you figured it out for yourself.
Today's liberal PC teaching involve "micro aggressions" and "trigger words" etc. It's sad that our society is training individuals to be offended at every little thing and jump straight to racism, sexism, or some big fancy word.

Everybody has to walk on eggshells.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 AM

626 posts, read 904,984 times
Lighten up. You can't pounce on every word someone says and make an issue out of it. He's your relative. Is he known to make sexist comments. <snip>Just respond and say thank you. Life's too short. All the best

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-16-2016 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Orfphaned response

Old 11-16-2016, 05:46 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,340,106 times
Me thinks a trip to a third world country is needed.

I think it would change your perspective, focus, and ability to get worked up over very small things.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,936,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
To make a long story short, a male relative that I see a few times a year said something I find offensive and annoying in an email he wrote to me. It may not be a big deal to a lot of you, but it is to me. He basically indicated that I should check with my father on how much electricity a potential new appliance would use so I can determine whether it's cost effective or not. Basically, he's suggesting that as a woman, I am not capable of calculating the kWh the appliance will use and how much it will cost to run it per year. I find that offensive. This is 2016, not 1940. Women are very capable of doing anything a man can do. In fact, I do several home repairs myself and probably know more about tools than this male relative. I'm actually suprised at him. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but I expected more from a 50 year old man. I thought he would be liberated enough not to think like that. Even my 80 year old uncle knows better than that.

I'm supposed to respond back to this relative, but I cannot bring myself to do so without mentioning that what he said was offensive to me. So my choices are to ignore the email or find a way to politely tell him I was offended.

Suggestions? The email was sent five days ago and I'm still annoyed by it. I usually get over stuff pretty quickly.
Perhaps he said it because he has no confidence in you, not women in general, just you. Letting one sentence of an email bother you for days does show you are not a mature adult, perhaps this has been an issue he has observed in the past.

Moderator cut: orphaned response

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-16-2016 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,978,593 times
Quote:
To make a long story short, a male relative that I see a few times a year said something I find offensive and annoying in an email he wrote to me. It may not be a big deal to a lot of you, but it is to me. He basically indicated that I should check with my father on how much electricity a potential new appliance would use so I can determine whether it's cost effective or not. Basically, he's suggesting that as a woman, I am not capable of calculating the kWh the appliance will use and how much it will cost to run it per year. I find that offensive. This is 2016, not 1940. Women are very capable of doing anything a man can do. In fact, I do several home repairs myself and probably know more about tools than this male relative. I'm actually suprised at him. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but I ,snip>expected more from a 50 year old <snip> man. I thought he would be liberated enough not to think like that. Even my 80 year old uncle knows better than that.

I'm supposed to respond back to this relative, but I cannot bring myself to do so without mentioning that what he said was offensive to me. So my choices are to ignore the email or find a way to politely tell him I was offended.

Suggestions? The email was sent five days ago and I'm still annoyed by it. I usually get over stuff pretty quickly.

Wow. He is suggesting that you get a SECOND OPINION so that you don't waste time or money.

I am continually astounded at how people want to be offended by everything these days. Seriously, it's like if they can't be mad at a comment made to them, they are bored.

And BTW if it were 1940, as a woman you would already know this. It is more unlikely that today's young woman would know this.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:44 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,060,941 times
I had an male relative make the same sort of remark to me several years ago when I bought a car. He said he was glad that I had my (male) business partner have a look at it before I bought the car..... like my opinion couldn't be trusted.... I was already set to buy the car, but I like having a second opinion.....

It annoyed me for about 2 seconds and then I just shrugged it off as it being just the way he is....

Old 11-16-2016, 07:13 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,118,469 times
I think you're very much overreacting. I mean the fact that you let it bother you for more than 5 minutes. In the grande scheme of things, this doesn't even rate on the scale because of how meaningless it is and yet here you are seething for a week.

At the end of the day, your best way of handling this would've been to laugh it off and move on. "Lol, yea thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to take it under advisement." And add a winky emoticon. And then walk away. All of this self perpetuated drama is really unnecessary and a waste of energy. You need to lighten up.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:16 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I had an male relative make the same sort of remark to me several years ago when I bought a car. He said he was glad that I had my (male) business partner have a look at it before I bought the car..... like my opinion couldn't be trusted.... I was already set to buy the car, but I like having a second opinion.....

It annoyed me for about 2 seconds and then I just shrugged it off as it being just the way he is....
So did your relative specifically say he was glad you had a man look at the car?

You said yourself you liked having the second opinion. If your relative didn't specifically reference your friend's gender, then he simply echoed your exact thoughts.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times
Quote:
He basically indicated that I should check with my father on how much electricity a potential new appliance would use so I can determine whether it's cost effective or not. Basically, he's suggesting that as a woman, I am not capable of calculating the kWh the appliance will use and how much it will cost to run it per year.
What was the calculation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships