Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:56 AM

676 posts, read 528,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
OP - You're overreacting and you sound like an angry, petty person. Either get professional help or find a good man to straighten you out.
Yeah buttercup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 02:12 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Everyone just has to be offended about everything these days. I'm looking forward to 2017 being the year that, hopefully, everyone grows up a bit. Exercise some grace and good manners as a mature woman does by saying a simple 'thank you' and move on.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:15 PM

676 posts, read 528,535 times
Being offended isn't the problem. It's how we deal with the feeling.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:57 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
I'm a bit surprised at how many people are telling the OP to get over it. Her feelings are valid. Just because many people ignore subtle sexism doesn't mean that the OP has to.

I like the following response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I would just say something like, "Thanks, but I've already calculated the appliance's energy use myself. Dad isn't very good with that kind of thing; I'm the family handyman/woman around here", and leave it at that. Light and breezy, but effective.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I'm a bit surprised at how many people are telling the OP to get over it. Her feelings are valid. Just because many people ignore subtle sexism doesn't mean that the OP has to.

I like the following response:
Actually, given the lack of clarification on the part of the OP on what her uncle said, no.

If I understand correctly, he advised the OP to discuss it with her father. We have no understanding of why he said it, but if could be for a variety of reasons, some of which are completely unrelated to gender issues.

Here's the thing. Did he mean to be dismissive of her? Did she bother to take his intentions into account? Or is the OP just a sensitive plant who wilts at anything and everything?

I mean, there are times when people need to get a freaking grab and understand the other person's intentions are rather important.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:14 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, given the lack of clarification on the part of the OP on what her uncle said, no.

If I understand correctly, he advised the OP to discuss it with her father. We have no understanding of why he said it, but if could be for a variety of reasons, some of which are completely unrelated to gender issues.

Here's the thing. Did he mean to be dismissive of her? Did she bother to take his intentions into account? Or is the OP just a sensitive plant who wilts at anything and everything?

I mean, there are times when people need to get a freaking grab and understand the other person's intentions are rather important.
OK, I get that. Thing is, the OP is the only one who knows her uncle, the relationship with her uncle, family dynamics etc. None of us do. She is the one in the best position to judge what her uncle's intentions were when sending the email. She's upset 5 days later even though, according to the OP, she usually gets over stuff quickly. Rather than having the resentment build up even further, why not send something back along the lines of what Ruth4Truth suggested? It's taking a stand, politely, but without going all nuclear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships