Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,966,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Your life must be pretty good if this is your biggest 'problem'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think if that's your biggest worry in the world, you have it pretty good.
Why do these responses always come up?

I agree with the OP overacted to this questionable "offense." But where does it say that we can only post or vent on City-Data about our most important, most central life problems? Is every thread on the site supposed to be about ideas for world peace, having terminal cancer, or getting hit by a tsunami?

I certainly hope that others (like me) are addressing the most important issues in their lives in their actual lives, and not posting them here. I use C-D to post amusing observations, to vent or rant about minor annoyances, to vent about pet peeves, or to ask questions that are only mildly important to my life. That's what most people do.

But somehow, for unknown reasons, there are always a few posters who feel the need to jump in and say "if that's the biggest concern in your life, you sure are lucky." Do you only post here about the biggest concerns in your life?

I agree, the OP sounds extremely touchy and likely to be "offended" by the slightest thing. But even she didn't say or imply that this is the biggest problem in her life. (Stewing about it for 5 days is another story.) But please, don't conclude that posting about a topic on C-D means it's the most important, worst problem in a person's life.

Do you say that to people in real life?
A co-worker might say "Damn, my computer just froze again"
A friend driving you someplace might say "That idiot ahead of us is coming into our lane!"
A family member might say "Am I the only one who can change the roll of toilet paper in this house?"
Do you respond to those things with "Well, if that's the biggest issue in your life, then you must have it really swell!" If you do, you probably get slapped a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 12:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,254,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I would just say something like, "Thanks, but I've already calculated the appliance's energy use myself. Dad isn't very good with that kind of thing; I'm the family handyman/woman around here", and leave it at that. Light and breezy, but effective.
Perfect.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:40 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,291,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I agree with the OP overacted to this questionable "offense." But where does it say that we can only post or vent on City-Data about our most important, most central life problems? Is every thread on the site supposed to be about ideas for world peace, having terminal cancer, or getting hit by a tsunami?

I certainly hope that others (like me) are addressing the most important issues in their lives in their actual lives, and not posting them here. I use C-D to post amusing observations, to vent or rant about minor annoyances, to vent about pet peeves, or to ask questions that are only mildly important to my life. That's what most people do.

But somehow, for unknown reasons, there are always a few posters who feel the need to jump in and say "if that's the biggest concern in your life, you sure are lucky." Do you only post here about the biggest concerns in your life?

I agree, the OP sounds extremely touchy and likely to be "offended" by the slightest thing. But even she didn't say or imply that this is the biggest problem in her life. (Stewing about it for 5 days is another story.) But please, don't conclude that posting about a topic on C-D means it's the most important, worst problem in a person's life.

A friend driving you someplace might say "That idiot ahead of us is coming into our lane!"
A family member might say "Am I the only one who can change the roll of toilet paper in this house?"
Do you respond to those things with "Well, if that's the biggest issue in your life, then you must have it really swell!" If you do, you probably get slapped a lot.
Was my answer the biggest problem in your life? If so.....etc, etc.😉😉😉😉

Old 11-21-2016, 03:59 PM

30,410 posts, read 23,880,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Yes, I do. Contrary to what many believe, what I say on here, I absolutely will say in real life. In fact, I'm harsher in real life because I don't have a mod censoring what I say.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:51 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,966,187 times
So I someone says anything, you assume that it's the most important thing in their life? Otherwise they should just keep their mouth shut? You never speak about anything unless it's the most important problem in your life?
Wow, I thought I was harsh.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 PM

32 posts, read 23,435 times
he can think what he wants. you're not his master, and well disassociate yourself from him.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,554,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I would just say something like, "Thanks, but I've already calculated the appliance's energy use myself. Dad isn't very good with that kind of thing; I'm the family handyman/woman around here", and leave it at that. Light and breezy, but effective.
perfect!

Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,466,613 times
OP - You're overreacting and you sound like an angry, petty person. Either get professional help or find a good man to straighten you out.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:00 PM

52,406 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
I truly feel sorry for the perpetually offended.
Yep, those types are usually social justice warriors as well.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,660,922 times
"Thanks for the suggestion, but I would never ask my father such a silly question. I'd be ashamed to sound like an idiot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships