Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM

352 posts, read 713,905 times

Advertisements

My first time on this forum. I can't believe this thread went to 15 pages of replies in two days.

This was years ago: One of my acquaintances, a ladyfriend of a friend of mine, came over with him to visit me at my apartment. She was of the heavyset variety of woman but that didn't really mean anything to us. Heavy, thin, it's all good.

She sat down on a chair in the living room and it and she immediately crashed to the floor, totally destroying that chair (I'm thinking that's not something you see every day). She laughed, we laughed, she slowly managed to get up off from the wreckage and chose another one to sit in. We all mentally crossed our fingers but that one held. Whew!

Last edited by rushhournewb; 12-02-2016 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 04:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,209,026 times
I have a 270 pound friend who knows full well he is not to sit on some of my furniture which includes my pneumatic height adjustable stools at the bar (I have a separate one for him) and never on my glider or my spring back Martha Stewart porch chairs. He's not to use my toilet for no. 2 either. Too gross.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What would be the proper way?

There is this 600 pound relative I have who visits but I am holding my breath every time they sit on my kitchen chairs.

How would you handle it,without hurting feelings?
I'd buy something they can sit in.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Hmm, I just googled Hercules Chair. I guess they are only $30. Okay, that I would spend.
For family or even a friend? Well worth it.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I have a 270 pound friend who knows full well he is not to sit on some of my furniture which includes my pneumatic height adjustable stools at the bar (I have a separate one for him) and never on my glider or my spring back Martha Stewart porch chairs. He's not to use my toilet for no. 2 either. Too gross.

WOW! How did THAT conversation even start about the #2? Did you just come out and tell him he could pee in your toilet, but forget about crapping in it? I can't even imagine telling someone they couldn't go to the bathroom in my home, no matter what size they were. It's hard enough telling someone about a chair, but this goes a little too far as far as I'm concerned, and to be so specific what he is able to do and not do in your bathroom.

I'm guessing you provide an outhouse for him to use?

Old 12-02-2016, 06:52 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,320,774 times
Quote:
How do tell someone politely they're not allowed to poo in your toilet? I'm just curious in case I ever run into that situation....

and how do you know for sure he doesn't sneak a little poo in there when you aren't paying attention?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 PM

343 posts, read 317,287 times
How does a 600 lb person make it anywhere!? and if this obese relative of yours has sat on your furniture in the past without it breaking, then why tell them not to sit on it now?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,547,124 times
Quote:
I would think 270lbs would be nowhere close to the weight capacity of any toilet. Was it installed properly?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,547,124 times
Quote:
what is offensive? Should I just not ask or tiptoe around it? This is a weight related thread. There have been tons of more offensive statements in the past x pages.
I don't think it was that any part of the statement was offensive, it was just that you finished the sentence with, "no offense". Might as well have left that off.

Here in the South, the joke is you can get away with saying anything you want as long as you start or finish the statement with "bless your heart"

Old 12-02-2016, 10:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,809,124 times
Quote:
you could hardly walk and breathe but you carried it well? What does "carry it well" mean? Even if you look 100lbs slimmer, you still look like 300lbs, no offense ...

Congrats on the 200 lbs. that is amazing, wow. How different does it feel? How do you keep it off and how come you had 400lbs at some time? Did all your health issues go away or will some stay forever? I heard the surgery is extremely tough on the body, is that true?
Carried it well as in it was spread out evenly over my body. Yes, I was fat. I looked fat. I felt fat. But the way it was distributed made it easier to hide under clothing, so I didn't look as big as I actually was. See post #141 by cheapdad00 - he explained it very well.

Thanks for the congrats! I definitely feel like a new person. I'll address the rest of your questions in a DM since it's a bit long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, if you can barely walk and breathe heavily no one is noticing how well you carry your weight. They're afraid you're going to keel over.
As it is, nobody really even paid me any attention at all. Obese people are a dime a dozen these days - why would anyone care about one more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I don't think it was that any part of the statement was offensive, it was just that you finished the sentence with, "no offense". Might as well have left that off.

Here in the South, the joke is you can get away with saying anything you want as long as you start or finish the statement with "bless your heart"
I wasn't offended by what was said, but I do think that almost any statement or comment automatically seems offensive when someone adds that little "no offense."

Hah! I love the comment about "bless your heart." It's certainly accurate!

Last edited by Melodica; 12-02-2016 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Added a response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships