Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:13 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,567,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So now you have some furniture that stands out like an eyesore in your living room. Your home is your domain and should be furnished they way you like it. I suppose if you can find something you like and don't mind paying for it.

On the old sitcom "Frasier" the father had that awful chair....LOL. But at least he brought it with him.

The topic of this post is not how to make your home look like "Architectural Digest". Furniture can be moved & hidden if desired. Go back to the beginning of this post and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,589,244 times
I agree with the others who say to get a strong sturdy chair for this person. Have a look at used furniture stores if you don't want to spend much money.
Put it out in the garage, a spare room, a shed, or down the basement when it isn't in use.

Yes, as rude as it may sound, you have to say something. The trick is to do it discreetly with no one else around to hear.
I'd rather have them sit on a different chair and be happy in knowing that it wasn't going to collapse, rather than have a chair break and having to help the person up off the floor.

I have twin brothers who are both almost 300 pounds. I cringe every time they FLOP onto our couch after a meal. As many times as I've told them to sit down gently, they repeat it the next time. I've noticed that they do this on their own couch at home, so it is a habit. D

Don't even bother telling me not to invite them over. They are my BROTHERS, not acquaintances.

Last edited by gouligann; 12-03-2016 at 03:39 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,326,897 times
You don't. You simply get a reinforced chair, and suggest they sit there.

No words need to be spoken....Imagine how they must already feel. Allow them their dignity.

Simply do something quietly to make sure they never get hurt by having a chair that will support their weight.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,401,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You guys on this thread are full of it. Most 600 plus pound people are semi-bed bound. They aren't out gallivanting around and visiting people. Are there exceptions, probably, but I ain't buying it for the most part. The images search below shows them in bed and in the hospital in a pic or two, but whatever, I'm done arguing about it cause I don't give a rip about it either way.
I only caught the show a few times but there was one woman on My 600 Pound Life and she was still working a few times per week. She drove herself to work---but then she needed them to operate the special lift in the back of the building to get her upstairs. She still struggled a lot at home. I think she was still able to get around because she was still pretty young but she sounded like she wouldn't be able to keep at it. I do think she's in the minority.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,220,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a coworker who ran about 400 pounds. We were celebrating St. Patrick's day in the conference room with corned beef and cabbage made by another coworker. The chairs around the conference room table were the Breuer-type chairs that don't have legs but have the continuous metal bar.

Suddenly "Richard" just started sinking backwards. The metal bar just bent under his weight and the chair sort of folded on himself. We all watched as he just grinned as he sunk, chewing his corned beef the whole time. They had to get four or five other men to pull him out.
I'm going to go at this a different way. Fat folks know they are fat. They don't want to break your chair as much as you don't want them to. I know when I was heavier I watched what I sat on in others houses. They have a responsibility to be cautious when they sit on something. Comes with the territory.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,668,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm going to go at this a different way. Fat folks know they are fat. They don't want to break your chair as much as you don't want them to. I know when I was heavier I watched what I sat on in others houses. They have a responsibility to be cautious when they sit on something. Comes with the territory.
Not everyone cares. I have two heavy friends and one likes to PLOP on my couch and now it squeaks.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:38 PM

545 posts, read 598,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What would be the proper way?

There is this 600 pound relative I have who visits but I am holding my breath every time they sit on my kitchen chairs.

How would you handle it,without hurting feelings?
Tell the person they need to loose about 400 pounds!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,293,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

While I only know a few divorced couples, usually when the father picks up the children for visitation time he is only there for a couple of minutes while the child/children is/are getting their coat on and he & his ex-wife are confirming when he will return with the child/children. That is certainly not enough time to sit down.

Heck, I know one couple where (I'm pretty sure) the ex-spouse never even steps foot inside the house. The children are exchanged on the doorstep.

And, these were/are very, very amicable divorces where both parents are civil and cordial to each other.

How long is your ex in your home that you are worried about him sweating on and breaking your furniture?

OP, perhaps I missed it, but why is your ex-husband even in your house when he has visitation with his children?

If it is because he needs supervised visitations there are ways to do that through the court system.

I am wondering if he comes to your house to see you more than to see his children. Or does he come so that you will feed him dinner and snacks? Or does he sit down and stay so that he can harass you? Or what?

I have even known divorced couples (parents of former students) who switched the kids for visitations in public/private places such as the police station, library, restaurants or their attorney's office. Perhaps that is something to think about. Then you won't have to worry about your furniture.

But, maybe, your problem is bigger than the size of your ex-husband (if he is staying to eat, flirt or harass you).

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-03-2016 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 02:22 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,030,576 times
Oh wow we had one cousin do this to another cousin at a horse show in 1989 . I'll never forget it , she had alot of medical issues that contributed to her weight as well as some meds also and she really fought that weight too .. but my male cousin wasn't having it over A WAL MART STRETCH LAWN CHAIR I told him to just shut UP. We were in our late 20's then and he told me I GOT THAT CHAIR THIS MORNING AT 10 !! I said well you have the same Wal Mart you work for to go get another in the morning if she breaks it. She never knew thank goodness and did not break the chair. No way was she not going to sit with us . She is better now and has lost over 300 lbs.

On a side note , he later got nasty again a few years later with she and I for 2 different reasons not related to this and I didn't speak to him for 15 years.. he and I saw each other at yet another horse show and he has since bent over backwards to make things right .

Old 12-03-2016, 04:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
The topic of this post is not how to make your home look like "Architectural Digest". Furniture can be moved & hidden if desired. Go back to the beginning of this post and start over.

You go back again dear, it's your home it should look the way you want to look.

Yes, ugly bulky chairs and couches bought so some morbidly obese person can sit on, can be easily moved in and out of rooms and put in closets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships